Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
With Mother, we can find our spiritual feet

From the Editorial of the January issue of 'Prabuddha Bharata':

Anon-descript rickshaw-puller walked into the bookstall of a Ramakrishna Mission institution and asked for a freshly released, bulky Bengali volume on Sri Sarada Devi (Shatarupe Sarada). He was rather downcast to learn that the book was priced much higher than the amount that he had with him, that being all of his day's earnings. The monk in charge of the stall turned curious and inquired what he wished to do with the book and if he could at all read the book. The rickshaw-puller's reply was revealing. He had seen a copy of the book with one of his passengers. The face on the cover had reminded him of his own mother. He could not read, but his son could, and he would read out to him about Mother.

...Sri Ramakrishna's spiritual brilliance can dazzle us into blindness and sap our intrepidity (Arjuna's condition in Chapter 11 of the Gita may be recalled for-a rather unequal-comparison). On the other hand, we can hardly match up to Swamiji's expectations. But with Mother, we can find our spiritual feet. It is in the nature of mothers to provide their children with physical and emotional support. But the Mother Divine strikes a deeper chord by awakening the spiritual heart of her children.

Re: With Mother, we can find our spiritual feet

Come on you guys! I actually wondered if the Rickshaw Driver got the book too. Had I been the Monk and seen his sincere desire, I probably would have bought the book for him. But I believe I got your point Vriju, how intense our desire is for the Mother,whether we are aware of it or not. I thought of this story many times today at work, how pure was his desire, and how aware of his need. In my culture, where God is only considered masculine, the comfort and receptivity of the Mother is lost. How rich my life has become since I found my North Star. Rich but not easy. Please let's not take offense here. Not here.

We Are In Mother's Courtyard

Thank you, Rosemary. . .

After some time with Mother, I have deleted most of the posts in this thread as they are inappropriate here, in the intimate presence of Mother.

There are many forums available on the internet for questions, speculation, and exploration of culture and other such details. I have been uncomfortable that Mother's Courtyard has been turning into this type of forum lately.

I have entered into these "discussions" myself. It is so easy to do. Tonight I posted about how Vedanta affirms the relative nature of measuring time is reflected in our own experience of time as in our use of calendars. It's an ok post, and perhaps someone reading our posts from "behind the bushes that surround the courtyard will realize there is more than one way to measure time -- or to do most anything -- and that one may use multiple means and measures according to one's purpose.

While my post was interesting to research and write, I'd much rather see it on another forum.

I am not saying that such discussions are necessarily wrong or bad; only that they do not belong in Mother's Courtyard where her Children come for inspiration and spiritual sustenance.

Some have expressed that they feel this is truly Mother's Courtyard, where her Children come to be with her. A place where, in Her presence, they may share in the struggles and successes of brothers and sisters as we each make our way along the spiritual path.

As the Bhagavad Gita and other spiritual teachings remind us, becoming aware of appropriateness, respecting time and place, is a spiritual discipline.

Let us all work on this together, feeling that we come before Mother in this -- Her own Courtyard.

Re: We Are In Mother's Courtyard

Sister Jayanti, many thanks for taking the editorial decision to delete the inappropriate posts. Let's keep Mother's Courtyard for inspiration and spiritual sustenance.

Re: Re: We Are In Mother's Courtyard

This is the Mother's courtyard and her temple. She is ever present here. This is a place for discussions of our spiritual journeys.

Thank you Jayanti.

May Mother bless us all in our journey towards the Supreme Goal