Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Some questions

Jayanti,
Thank you for taking the time to explain this so beautifully to me. Your understanding overwhelms me.
I really appreciate it. I will be thinking on this today.

Re: Re: Some questions

Finally finished the last chapter of "Holy Mother".

Couple of questions...

There were a lot of references in the book to the taking on of karma by Mother and the Master. Of course, this is the essence of Christianity, that Jesus took on the karma of the world, however, I read from a holy man somewhere that no one can take on someone else's karma. It is like trying to eat someone else's food. That made sense to me, when explained that way, but I see references of it over and over in "Holy Mother". Can anyone help me with this?

Comment: Sri Ramakrishna explains the ability of 'high-souled' people,
in taking on the Karmic burdens of others:

"When habate wood (an old, dry piece of wood) floats, it sinks even if a bird sits on it. But when bahaduri wood (superior and heavy log) floats it can take across a cow, a man, and even an elephant. The steamboat itself goes across and also takes so many people across.

"Narada and such other teachers are like the bahaduri wood (heavy log), like the steam boat."

Also, Mother's reference to her fear of ghosts. Was she only kidding? She claimed to have seen the Master after his death, was that a ghost, a hallucination or an actual being? I read where the same holy man above said there were no ghosts, and again that made sense to me, but then I moved into an apartment where there was a perceivable presence, and I was not the only one to perceive it.

Comment: Here is a quote from Swami Vivekananda, concerning the belief in ghosts:

"It is very hard to show men new things, to give them great ideas. It is harder still to knock off old superstitions, very hard; they do not die easily. With all his education, even the learned man becomes frightened in the dark - the nursery tales come into his mind, and he see ghosts."