Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Swami VIvekananda's birthday

My Message to Swamiji on His Birthday

I lived through your pain, when I read of the precarious financial situation of your family, during your early years with the Master.

Every reading of the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna brings
new light to details previously overlooked.

What a legacy! Your talks to the young men of Madras,
have borne abundant fruit.

The Chennai Math is one of the outstanding Centers
of the Order of Ramakrishna, worldwide.

I should like to bring the visitors in the courtard
on a very special Journey of Discovery, concerning the good works of the Chennai Mission, Please click on the following Link for THE RAMAKRISHNA MISSION STUDENT'S HOME:

http://www.webindia.com/rkmission/activity.htm

~~~~~om swamiji om~~~~~

Re: Re: Re: Re: Swami VIvekananda's birthday

Thanks Tom, seeing the school in Chennai reminds me of my own visit to Narendrapur, in Kolkata (Brittish: Calcutta).

It was thought too difficult for me to observe Shiva Ratri, a night-long celebration and worship of Lord Shiva at Belur Math, given the tremendous number of devotees. Instead, I was blessed to be a guest at Narendrapur, another educational complex of the RKM. Not as old as the Chennai School, Narandrapur is also impressive, dedicated to serving socially, economic, and physically challenged boys. It is a multi-educational complex, consisting of a secondary school, college, vocational training center, and school for blind boys. I was blessed to stay two and a half days there.

Each of these centers are started by and often carried forward faith and grace. Swami Lokeswaranandaji was my host Swami in India. Then Head of the Ramakrishna Mission Institute of Culture, he had previously served as the Head of Narendrapur. He told us stories about those days, how they mostly depended on the kindness of others. But one day in particular stayed in his memory. The school was completely out of money. They had not even enough to feed the boys dinner. Swami was distressed, but laid the concern in the hands of Mother and Thakur. Just in time to shop and prepare the boys' dinner someone came personally with a donation! The Swami always believed in Mother's grace, but would lovingly tell this story as proof. Swami Lokeswarananda accepted the first blind student at Narendrapur, leading to the eventual creation/addition of a school for blind boys.

Indeed, Swamiji's vision is manifest throughout India: In the service of the Ramakrishna Mission ... and also in the service of the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission administered by Sri Sarada Math.

Swamiji had said that his vision would not be realizd until the establishment of Mother's Order. It was to be a separate and independent monastic order, administered by and for women. Swamiji had seen how women were under the control of men in other religious traditions. He did not want this. "Women must be free to work out their own solutions," he said.

The 150th anniversary of Holy Mother's Birthday marks the 50th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda's dream. Sri Sarada Math was established on Mother's 100th birthday in 1954. All schools, medical clinics, and other services for women were also turned over to the new women's monastic order.

Many of the sannyasinis of the Order were graduates of Sister Nivedita's School for Girls, founded by Swami Vivekananda and inaugurated by Mother. In 1918, Swami Saradananda, a brother disciple to Swamiji, noted, "This inauguration is for the sole purpose o a future women's Math, delayed only because the conditions of society were not conducive to its establishment."

I am ever in awe of Swamiji's insight, vision, and his very great inspiration. And through it all, he took not a step on his own without first seeking the blessings and assurances of Holy Mother!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swami VIvekananda's birthday

Dear Sister Jayanti,

I envy your wonderful experiences in India.
When I visited the subcontinent in 1967-8,
I was unfortunately unaware of Vedanta.

To see Swamiji's Spirit in Action, with your own
eyes is a true blessing.

Sri Sarada's Spirit has also travelled far and wide. Here is a brief article to share:

FIJI Schools remembers their patron saint, Sri Sarada Devi

(Monday, September 13, 2004)

STUDENTS from ten schools in the Western Division converged on Swami Vivekananda College yesterday to mark the birthday of one of its patron saints, the Holy Mother, Sri Sarada Devi.

Students took part in oratory contests and impromptu speech competitions focusing on moral values and a better way of life.

Sri Ramakrishna Mission president Swami Bhakti Nanda said the celebrations were the conclusion of year-long festivities to mark the 150th birthday of Sri Sarada Devi.

Swami Nanda said they brought the celebrations to the college because Sri Sarada was the wife of Swami Vivekananda's master, Sri Ramakrishna.

"It is an important occasion worldwide to mark the life of a great spiritual leader," he said.

"We decided to involve secondary school students because the teachings of the Holy Mother focused on moral values. This will raise awareness on the teachings of Sri Sarada in students."

Swami Nanda said it was an opportunity for students to learn more about the life of a great leader who preached the benefits of moral values to pave a better way of life.

He said being able to bring many students together to remember the life of the Holy Mother was part of the mission's goals to spread the teachings of the gurus of Swami Vivekananda.

He said even though the Holy Mother did not speak at length on education, her teachings always focused on the improvement of mankind through proper practices.

SVC principal Kumaran Subramani said the contests and competitions were part of the school's efforts in helping the Ministry of Education to develop a better behaviour among students.

Correction: Swami VIvekananda's birthday

Just a note to say, that the previous message was from me.

I signed it 'Web Admin' through force of habit.

Of course, Sister Jayanti knows who it is, because she has the ISP numbers. :)

tom
===