Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question on my mind about the development of faith

Namaste to all my beloved forum family,
Do you all think that it is possible to pray for faith? I know this is probably a recurring theme here, we only address it in different ways. I do notice that my faith is growing stronger and richer and I know where to turn to build it, but there are frames of mind where I truly feel that all is lost and there is no purpose to living whatsoever, and that feeling can be so real. I do thank God that as I grow older my faith on the whole is increasing, instead of decreasing. For me, it seems to all come down to when I'm AFRAID of something (not the dark or the boogey man, but of nothingness or pointlessness.)

PS

Also, it occurred to me today (and this relates somewhat to what Tom spoke of in the previous post) what the word "Savior" means to me. Heretofore, it had little meaning, only the "prescribed" interpretation of "salvation from hellfire". But today, I thought, "I need a savior" and suddenly I knew what it meant for me. That is, I need to be saved from myself and my deep, deep fear of the pointlessness of everything. And certainly our Masters/Teachers are pointing the way.

Jai Ram

Question on my mind about the development of faith

Dear Rosemary,

You are really a fortunate person as daily life has not caused cynicism in you. I have firm conviction that you will emerge from all these trials unscathed.

I can tell you one thing to do when you feel nothingness or pointlessness. Just remember what mother has said
" Whenever you are in distress , say to yourself : I HAVE A MOTHER "
Repeat this with firm dedication and you will find your worries passing away like "water under bridge"

Make this into a habit,just like eating food when you are hungry. Repeat this statement whenever you feel emptiness.

You have reached the foot of the mountain. You have to climb it now. Many people don't know that the mountain exists. You are so blessed

With Love,
Unni

Re: Question on my mind about the development of faith

Thank you Unni. Your words are like a sweet, cool breeze, or a message from Mother herself. I thank you from my heart.

Rosemary

Re: Re: Question on my mind about the development of faith

Namaste dear souls,

The 'Saviour' is everywhere. Unni's sweet words
about Holy Mother's Promise of unconditional LOVE,
is a manifestation of that very same Saviour,
dwelling within us all.

Sometimes we desperately need someone to 'toss us a line',
as we feel ourselves sinking into our self-made depressions.

Once we hold fast to Mother's Promise, all doubts
fly away; and our equilibrium is regained.

RE: Prayer

Paramahamsa Yogananda said:

"MOST people consider the course of events as natural and inevitable. They little know what radical change are possible through prayer. Every morning I offer my body, my mind and any ability that I posses, to be used by Thee, O infinite creator, in whatever way Thou dost choose to express Thyself through me. I know that all work is Thy work, and that no task is too difficult or too menial when offered to Thee in loving service."

-and-

"To PRAY is... Go to your room and shut the door...make no fuss. Sit down and talk to God. Practice meditation. Let your mind become so intense that the next time you sit to meditate you won't have to make effort.Pray to him: Lord you are the master of creation, so I come to you. I will never give up until you talk to me and make me realize your presence. I will not live without you."

Excerpted from: Quotes from Paramahamsa Yogananda

Om Shanthi Om

Re: Re: Question on my mind about the development of faith

The answer to your question ‘Do you think it is possible to pray for faith?’ is a resounding yes. I still struggle with the issue of faith. Is it easy to have faith? No. True faith comes only with realization. But there is no need to feel disheartened. Pray with a sincere heart and Mother will listen to your prayer. I think Unni has suggested some simple yet effective methods. Constant remembrance of the Mother or japa will give you much strength and take away from your heart this feeling of emptiness and nothingness.

Prayer is the bond that binds God to the devotee. And do we think that we can do anything else other than prayer. Remember your faith is a sign of Divine Grace. The savior is within yourself there is no need to seek it outside. That is what Vedanta teaches us.

Mother is always there…. As She has said. ”whenever you are in distress just say to yourself I have a Mother”