Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Pain as God's Prod

I do not see the idea here as being "against love", Tom.

Rather it is the recognition that "This, too, will pass." As Sri Ramakrishna said, even a golden chain, one which helps us progress spiritually, is a binding that must eventually break free from.

When we do this is individual, and I like that Vedanta assures us that playing in this garden of creation is fine for as long as this satisfies us.

When placed in the great eternal, our romp here is just that: A romp. That which is eternal in us IS always driving us home to our true nature, to our true existence. In this way we are always looking for bliss, for freedom -- for more. When we have exhusted opportunities in this world, we begin looking beyond.

But you are right, Tom. Mostly it requires a good many blows to inspire us to seek genuine relief. We have become masters at "masking" all kinds of pain because we do not understand the oportunity it offers to us.

Re: Re: Pain as God's Prod

I was not happy with my post here. Sometimes I get a little "puffed up" with my feeling, and when I do, I almost immediately fall flat on my face and hurt myself very badly. I have learned this lesson well.
I said that I always know when Mother says "yes". This is not entirely true. When "Yes" is really yes, and I am in tune then I know it strongly. I do not always hear "NO"
I love you guys. What we desire and stuggle with brings our own peace or pain. They say desirelessness is ideal. I'm not there yet.
I wonder where Jayanti is..

Re: Pain as God's Prod

Tom,
Thanks for saying I have a knack.
All,
The issues here of attachment to the phycical body are always running through the currents of my mind.
You all have deeper thoughts than I do on this.
All I know is that the Maharshi said that everything was predestined. The next question of course was then, where is our freedom? His reply then was that the only freedom we have is the freedom not to identify with the body.
My views on lust, etc are similar to Tom's. I have thought at times about becoming a Nun (I forget the Hindu term), I believe my own life would be easier that way, but I know I am not ready, do not really desire this. I am with Tom on this that there is something to earthly relationship that can bring you to God, but perhaps all of that is destiny also.
This does not mean that I am against the precept of self denial. But I beleive that most of the Saints were beyond struggle with this. They just threw it off. (Maybe they went through many lifetimes of stuggle?)
I think about Mother and how she wanted children so badly. But when she got Radhu, was "Momicked" (a down east term for aggravated) almost to distraction (I did say almost, she WAS very tried with her) I also remember that when Sri Ramakrishna became aware of her deep desire for children, he asked her "Do you really want to go through that" (What her parents had suffered with the loss of a child).
Had we known what we would suffer here, would we have chosen to take this body?

Jayanti, dear,
I heard you say that you were tired, and I am very sorry about your friend.

Rose

Thank you, Rose.

I am actually leaving soon to visit my family and take care of family "stuff", another source of temporary emotional drain...

As I draw strength in Mother to face the demands of life and loved ones, I pray that all of Mother's childern may join me in feeling the warmth of her grace in their lives.

Until I return... Jai Ma!

Dear All,

What a wonderful article of Swami Vidyatamanada ji you have brought to us brother Vriju!

It reminds me of happenings of my own life.

For 7 years since i was seventeen, i prayed everyday for renunciation, pure love for God and monastic life for myself. All the temples i ever visited i had only one prayer that i may love the Lord with pure love.

When i saw people praying for worldy things like wealth, marriage, worldly happiness, i used to feel - 'how can they??'........ alas perhaps that was my undoing. Had i started considering myself spiritually higher , more moral then others?? Perhaps subconciuosly.

Well last year i was taught a lesson - i fell in love with somebody, never thought i would but over time i did......

and what happened? - i am ashamed to say but now my prayers to the Lord everyday did not include the line 'make me a true monk..' anymore ....

i found myself justifying my new pattern of thought , i said why couldnt i love to God and pray to him whilst leading a married life. when i went to temples i was tempted to beg the Lord for for a happy worldly life too. I was doing the very same thing that i criticised others for!!!

I do not believe the change that has copme in my beliefs just over the last few months , and i have forgotten all that i beleived in for 7 years of my life.

My love life is not very happy , and unfortuanately i find myself thinking day n nioght about the person concerned instead of thinking of or praying to God!

my prayers have reduced, my thoughts are no longer pure, i have indeed fallen.

i do not know what to do.

Why has the Lord done this? I am neither here nor there.

And its so true - when im happy in my love life, when things are going fine, i do not even think of God. only when im unhappy i think of Him.

Im stuck!! stuck big time.... what madness is this!

Brother Bluto,

Mysterious is the power of Maya. The Samskaras and Vasanas are very powerful. Sanyas is sterner stuff. It demands endurance, renunciation and dispassion. Mind has to be purified first by destroying Vasanas and Raga Dwesha.

The important thing to remember is not how many times we fall, but that we rise up each time we fall.

Brother,
The only thing that bothers me about your post, is that you say the relationship is not happy. If it were happy, I would not be worried.

Dear Sister rosemary and Brother Vriju,

first of all thank you for ur replies....

Sister perhaps if my relationship was happy i would not be here in the courtyard that often, perhaps i would think of God less......

I also want it to be happy, but perhaps God wills otherwise, but in any case it is true that that unhappiness does bring my mind to think about God.

You were thinking about God before your relationship, you are thinking of him now. Please do not condemn yourself. I am sure you would not condemn me.
We are where we are.