Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Story Time 6

I read the following in Lama Surya Das's Book "Awakening the Sacred". And I share it with my sisters and brothers in the courtyard.

Once in the days of old, there was a monk who was practicing a walking meditation as he circumambulated the ancient Petring Monastery. His distinguished teacher Geshe Tempa, who was also out for a walk, saw the monk and said, 'It is good to circle holy places, but it is much better to practice the sublime Dharma.'

Chastened, the monk began to study, memorize, and recite dozens of ancient Buddhist sutras. One day as he sat poring over the holy Sanskrit and Tibetan texts, his teacher came upon him again. 'It's worthwhile to study scriptures and accomplish virtuous acts like memorizing and copying scriptures,' Geshe Tempa told the monk, 'but it is far better to practice the noble Dharma.'

The monk was now very confused, but he gave his teacher's admonitions the serious thought they deserved. What he finally decided was that he needed to begin an intense meditation practice, and he began to meditate in earnest, hour after hour, day after day. The next time Geshe Tempa found the monk, he was sitting in a corner with a concentrated stare. 'Meditation is a very good practice,' Geshe Tempa said, 'but genuine Dharma practice would be even better.'

By now the monk, as you can imagine, didn't know what to do next. There was nothing he hadn't tried, and yet his beloved teacher still hadn't approved of his efforts. 'Most venerable sir,' the monk pleaded, 'I want to practice Dharma, but what is it that I should do?'

'Simply stop clinging,' Geshe Tempa replied before quietly continuing on his way.

Re: Story Time 6

Just realised that I forgot to put my name in the Story Time 6

Vriju

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I read the following in Lama Surya Das's Book "Awakening the Sacred". And I share it with my sisters and brothers in the courtyard.

Once in the days of old, there was a monk who was practicing a walking meditation as he circumambulated the ancient Petring Monastery. His distinguished teacher Geshe Tempa, who was also out for a walk, saw the monk and said, 'It is good to circle holy places, but it is much better to practice the sublime Dharma.'

Chastened, the monk began to study, memorize, and recite dozens of ancient Buddhist sutras. One day as he sat poring over the holy Sanskrit and Tibetan texts, his teacher came upon him again. 'It's worthwhile to study scriptures and accomplish virtuous acts like memorizing and copying scriptures,' Geshe Tempa told the monk, 'but it is far better to practice the noble Dharma.'

The monk was now very confused, but he gave his teacher's admonitions the serious thought they deserved. What he finally decided was that he needed to begin an intense meditation practice, and he began to meditate in earnest, hour after hour, day after day. The next time Geshe Tempa found the monk, he was sitting in a corner with a concentrated stare. 'Meditation is a very good practice,' Geshe Tempa said, 'but genuine Dharma practice would be even better.'

By now the monk, as you can imagine, didn't know what to do next. There was nothing he hadn't tried, and yet his beloved teacher still hadn't approved of his efforts. 'Most venerable sir,' the monk pleaded, 'I want to practice Dharma, but what is it that I should do?'

'Simply stop clinging,' Geshe Tempa replied before quietly continuing on his way.

Re: Re: Story Time 6

It is good to see you, Vriju in the courtyard once again

Replying to:

Just realised that I forgot to put my name in the Story Time 6

Vriju

Replying to: