Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prayers

I was in my own world, unhappy with the way things were moving. Complaining that the Mother was not doing a good job in taking care of her son. The usual complaining and whining. Today, I received mail from 2 friends who shared with me their lives and suffering. It pained me to see the difficulties that each one of them faced in their lives. Those were real difficulties.

I wrote to both of them, but knew that those words will not give them the strength they need. I had to come here to the courtyard, where I know Mother manifests Herself and ask Her to help them. I know of no other way. All I know is that if I tell the Mother, She always listens and will take care of them. Today I come with special prayers for my two friends. Mother please take care of them.

Re: Prayers

Yes Paritosh, i know what you mean. Have been self-pitying and selfish, unable to see the pain of others. Just tonight i was teaching English as usual and the conversation turned to angels. My student said she was an atheist and suddenly there was a beautiful atmosphere in the room and it felt right to talk about the Teachings.

It was a rare moment of Satsang and i still feel a faint glow.

For what it's worth i join you in your prayers.

Re: Re: Prayers

A lack of higher Self-awareness seems to be in the air, for I too have been struggling, feeling "singled-out" in some way. Each of your experiences speak to me. They remind me - again - that we all share in this 'human condition'. None escape. neither are any singled out. We need only to look around for this reminder. And it afirms that for those of us who are ever watchful, 'miracles' - moments of grace - are alwas happening. We may find them in the most unlikely places.

Finally, I am reminded that it isn't the circumstance which matters, but rather one's understanding and attitude within the circumstance. We shape our own sufferring, really. And we can see this when we obsere how people in the same zituation exprirnce things so differently.

As a rule, I do not pray that anyone may be lifted from a situation - (though there have been exceptions to this) - because I trust Mother is unfolding the tapestry of our life. Always I pray that All might have greater undersnding....and increasing Self-awareness.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Yes Paritosh, i know what you mean. Have been self-pitying and selfish, unable to see the pain of others. Just tonight i was teaching English as usual and the conversation turned to angels. My student said she was an atheist and suddenly there was a beautiful atmosphere in the room and it felt right to talk about the Teachings.

Re: Re: Re: Prayers

Thanks Anthony and Jayanti for your sharing your thoughts and experiences. There is so much to learn in this life, it a never ending process.

Prayer is communication between the human mind with the Divine soul. There is great power in prayer. I think that there is more power when you pray for someone else. Whenever we pray for ourselves there is an intrinsic selfishness in it. It is "I" centered, may I have devotion to your lotus feet, give me knowledge, may the veil of maya be lifted from my eyes, etc. When we pray for someone else, there is no direct benefit to "me" I have always felt that when the intrinsic I ness is removed it makes for a greater effect and gathers more energy.

Anthony's prayer for my friends carries more power since there is no direct benefit to him. Jayanti's prayer (which she calls "All might have greater understanding and increasing Self-awareness ) both say their own truth in their own way and yet I think those thoughts have more power than my prayer has since they have no direct relationship to the friends.

Anthony, Jayanti and myself all acknowledged how we felt a little upset with our "lot" and yet this posting on some third person's pain gave us an insight into our own lives. This posting once again serves to illustrate the wonder of how the Mother works. She does it through each one of us here in the courtyard. I am reminded of the conversation that Pravrajika Bharatiprana, the 1st President of Sarada Math and Mother's disciple and sevika once asked of Mother when she was nursing Her during her last illness. "O Mother, I will not be able to live without you, so, please take me also with you" Mother replied, " Finally it is to me you will come, my child, but before that, I have some work, which you will have to do. It will not do if you go now." I think while talking to Bharatipranaji, Mother talks to all Her children, assuring them that they will all come to Her but in the meantime we all are to do Her work in our own way as She wants it to be done. Whether it is discussing angels in Japan or work that Jayanti and I do in our day to day lives each of them are part of Mother's work. If we are able to see how we in our insignificant ways are doing Mother's work, then we uplift ourselves and cease to wallow in self-pity. Which child would feel "neglected" or "singled out" if they are aware that they are doing the Mother's work? The courtyard serves as a reminder to each child of the Mother "Know you are the Mother's child."

Replying to:

A lack of higher Self-awareness seems to be in the air, for I too have been struggling, feeling "singled-out" in some way. Each of your experiences speak to me. They remind me - again - that we all share in this 'human condition'. None escape. neither are any singled out. We need only to look around for this reminder. And it afirms that for those of us who are ever watchful, 'miracles' - moments of grace - are alwas happening. We may find them in the most unlikely places.

Finally, I am reminded that it isn't the circumstance which matters, but rather one's understanding and attitude within the circumstance. We shape our own sufferring, really. And we can see this when we obsere how people in the same zituation exprirnce things so differently.

As a rule, I do not pray that anyone may be lifted from a situation - (though there have been exceptions to this) - because I trust Mother is unfolding the tapestry of our life. Always I pray that All might have greater undersnding....and increasing Self-awareness.

Replying to: