Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: parents

Tom has given good advice, the kind we all can follow. To refrain from immediate action is always good. Usually, however, we are reacting instead of acting. This is why it is so difficult to control our actions. In a word, we are NOT in charge. We are being pushed about by our emotions or by a lack of awareness, or both.

In order to control your rude actions you will need to be aware of them at the time that they are about to happen. One way to develop this awareness is to try to understand why you acted rudely. I mean, try to understand what caused you to react rudely. If you can do this, then the next time you find yourself in a similiar circumstance with your parents you can say to yourself, "Ah, this is the time when I usually behave rudely, but this time I shall try not to be rude."

Awareness is an essential aspect of spiritual life. We may try and try, but until we are aware we can make little change. It may take some practice to become aware before you begin to act rudely. But even if you become aware while you are being rude, this is a good first step. The moment you become aware, you can make the choice to stop your rude behavior right then.

When you are able to stop the rude behavior before it begins, then you will also be able to think of other, more kind ways to interact with your parents.

Re: parents

As myself, not perfect in speech, thought or deed, I am reluctant to reply. But have been on a meditative walk this evening and decided to do so, right or wrong.

It is my experience, that until there is a shift in consciousness, there can be no change of action.
Until it is realized that the parents are not separate from the self, that it is the self that is inflicting and being inflicted upon, and that all is remembered in the mind of God, unto the utmost farthing.

Never stop turning to our Mother, who is Holy. Never stop.