Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My thanks to Holy Mother

My son and I were traveling on I-85 towards Charlotte yesterday. We were traveling about 70 mph when I said to my son as we passed an 18 wheeler, "You are in his blind spot, please move over to the next lane". As we did so about 1/2 minute later, I heard a bang, and my son said "that guy is dead!" and he stopped the truck and threw the gear in reverse and headed back where I was afraid to look at the accident that had happened just behind us. The truck we had passed had slammed about 70 miles an hour into the back of a stalled 18 wheeler that was in the middle lane. The two trucks were sprawled across the 4 lanes and one was catching fire. There was oil spilled on the ground coming towards us. My son ran to the truck where he saw a black man beating on the windows screaming he couldn't get out. When I saw him he was half way out ot a window and seemed to be stuck. My vision was of the man being stuck in that window when the truck exploded, with us helplessly watching. My son was busy with a fire extinguisher trying to retard the flames and I had fear for him also. I turned my back and prayed to Mother, "Mother, please help this man free himself before the truck explodes" I was praying mightily to Our Holy Mother.

In a minute, the man had freed himself and collapsed into the oil, where my son and another pulled him away from the fiery truck to safety.

The truck immediately began to go off like a firecracker, and it continued to burn in the middle of the highway for hours.

We learned that both had survived. The man who collapsed, we visited in the hospital, where he thanked my son, and said, "It was a miracle that I got out of that truck. I was trapped by the seat belt.
I prayed to God just to get me out. He did, and your son and the others did the rest. It was a miracle. I have seven grandchildren."

Mother please accept my gratitude.

Re: My thanks to Holy Mother

Dear Rosemary, i know that all prayers have effect, but is it true that when you pray for others selflessly they are answered quicker and more often as oppossed to when one prays for some material desire?

What a beautiful account, Rosemary. I have experienced such 'miracles', and whatever the reason or purpose, they cannot help but inspire awe and deep awareness of that divine presence that we know as Mother.

From an absolute sense, Anon, who can know what is "true" within the world? We are told that Mother (or God or Brahman) alone is True, and all of this worldly experience is but a gymnasium for our spiritual development.

From this standpoint, the standpoint of our spiritual devolopment, it make sense that our selfless prayers are going to be more effective. When we pray selflessly for others we are drawing closer to our own divine nature by, truly, handing things over to Mother. We call and depend completely on the divine, and become more accutely aware that everything is im Mother's care.

In contrast, when we pray for a personal, often material, outcome we reinforce our worldly connection and bondage. Our desire is primary, God or Mother is secondary as a means of giving us what we want. Thus, although Mother may graciously answer these prayers, the spiritual benefit is likely to be less effective.

So, ultimately the answer may lie in that which the individual is seeking. Remember, the Mother is content to watch over and protect the child as it plays happily within the world. It is only when we tire of the play that spiritual considerations become important to us.

Hi Rosemary,

The Lord has blessed you with a son, who has the presence of
mind, to know 'what to do' in an emergency. He also was prepared...
since he had a fire extinguisher on hand.

Then again, your 'back seat driving' was also helpful
in averting a more serious occurence.

What's the rush? Why are we always driving so fast?

Sometimes I long for the genteel days of the horse and buggy....
..when folks had time to think about where they were going....

Nahabat Web Admin

I am blessed with two good sons. Thank you, Mother.

The fire extinguishers were not Michaels, but they kept appearing. Every time I looked up someone was crossing the super highway with a fire extinguisher!!

Michael and I both decided it would be a good idea from now on to carry one in the car.

I agree with you about being in a hurry. I long for slower days also. I think about Mother and how she walked so many miles from Jayrambati to be with Sri Ramakrishna, and humorously (to me) how once when she arrived he made her turn around and go back, and then come again, because her arrival time was not auspicious!!

Love and greetings to all.