Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Musings on Mother after the Storm (Ophelia)

RE: "I rationalize by saying that if I did not eat fish or chicken, then in social situations, I would go hungry, as this area of the South, we are strong meat eaters. (I'm sure that in India, vegetarians do not have this problem). What is to be done?"
RE: Vegetarianism

Swami Vivekananda had this to say about vegetarianism:

"About vegatarian diet I have to say this - first, my Master was a vegetarian, but if he was given meat offered to the Goddess, he used to hold it up to his head. The taking of life is undoubtedly sinful, but so long as vegetable food is not made suitable to the human system through progress in chemistry, there is no alternative but meat-eating. So long as man shall have to live a RAjasika (active) life under circumstances like the present, there is no other way except through meat-eating."

Comment: Re: Ophelia

I takes courage to sweep away the debris and start life over again.
At least you still have a porch and a house left, to clean up!

Whenever you feel 'down', just think of theose poor folks on
the Gulf Coast, who have lost everything, and are living in crowded
shelters.....with no home or job to return to.

They will all eventually put their lives back together again, with
the grace of the Divine Mother.

keep smiling,

Nahabat Web Admin

Re: Re: Musings on Mother after the Storm (Ophelia)

Hello Rosemary !
You say it is your "desire and need" to be veggie again. Is there really a problem ? I would have thought your genuine friends would be more than happy to cook something vegetarian for you ! From what I've heard, the Southern states are very hospitable..
As someone who has had alcohol 'problems' - but is also a vegetarian, I have to give a double warning, as it were.
Ofcourse it's your choice. Just felt like adding my tuppence worth !

Re: Musings on Mother after the Storm (Ophelia)

Thank you very much for your kind reply to my situation. Thank you for the quote from Swami Vivekanda. It is very helpful.

Re: Musings on Mother after the Storm (Ophelia)

Good to hear from you Anthony!

My mother is very accomadating to my vegetarianism when the family gathers at her home. Restaurants, receptions and buffets can be hard, as Southerners generally cook their vegetables in meat grease. So it's ususally salad or nothing. I think the issue is really more like being so different from others, and always having to explain myself, over and over. A loneliness.

There use to be an Indian restaurant an hour away, that I would go to when I wanted delicious vegetarian, but I always had to go alone, as no one shares my enthusiasm. That is closed now, and the drive for food is over 2 hours. So, I make do.

Mother is guiding.

Thanks for your reply, and for sharing.