Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paul Brunton's meeting with "M"

I forgot to introduce Mr Brunton as a well known English journalist/author who travelled to India in the 1940's as a spiritual seeker. He met many of the Holy Men of the time in Raj India including Ramana Maharshi, Meher Baba, Mahasaya (the scribe of "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna"), and the Shankara (sp). He wrote in detail of these meetings in his book.

This meeting with "M" has always stayed with me in a very feeling way. As a Westerner by birth, I seem to see with the eyes and ears of Mr Brunton and I feel as if I were there also receiving direction and blessing from "M".

Mr. Brunton also told of how the Master told "M" that he could tell by his face and eyes that he was a yogi, but he was meant to live in the world. "M" tells Mr. Brunton that many times he would go to the streets of Calcutta to sleep with the homeless to know the feeling of being without possessions.

Best wishes to all

Re: Re: Paul Brunton's meeting with "M"

RE: "I forgot to introduce Mr Brunton as a well known English journalist/author who travelled to India in the 1940's as a spiritual seeker"

Comment: To quote Swami Nikhilananda in the 'Srima Darshan':

"M. whose life was completely given to Sri Ramakrishna entered maha-samadhi on June 4, 1932 A. D. Saturday, at the end of the Phalaharani Kali worship, on the last day of the Dark Fortnight in the Rohini Nakshatra"

So, I guess that Mr. Brunton must have travelled to India in the 1930's, rather than the forties.

Incidentally, "M" also accompanied Holy Mother
on her pilgrimage to Kashi in 1912.

Re: Re: Re: Paul Brunton's meeting with "M"

"In the early 1930s, Paul Brunton embarked on a voyage to India, which would bring him into contact with such luminaries as Sri Shankaracharya of Kancheepuram and Sri Ramana Maharshi. In fact, Paul Brunton has been credited with introducing Ramana Maharshi to the West through his books "A Search in Secret India" and "The Secret Path"."

from Wikipedia

Sorry, Web Admin, I'm not great with details. Glad you're listening. (I am pretty good with content though)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paul Brunton's meeting with "M"

RE: Pretty good with content

Yes, that cannot be denied.

Did you read about the situation which developed
between Mr. Brunton and some senior members of
Ramana Maharshi's Ashrama?

"Be as it may, Brunton's influence was not always viewed so favorably by everyone. One day in 1939, Brunton was sitting taking notes in the meditation hall and told in English by a high ranking ashram dignitary that he was no longer permitted to take notes while sitting before the Maharshi. Brunton asked, "Is this also Bhagavan's view?" The Maharshi, who was easily within earshot, continued sitting quietly and didn't say a word. A few tense moments passed. Then Brunton got up and left. That was the last time Brunton took notes in the hall and also when he began distancing himself from the ashram.

In later years, because of that incident and a misinterpretation of a shift in his philosopical outlook, Brunton was no longer welcome at the Ramana Ashram, mainly because of the attitude of certain high level disciples.

n the end however, Brunton's long-standing conflict with the ashram dissipated, with him actually being invited to spend his final years there, which he was not able to do for a variety of practical reasons."

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/bodhisattva/paul_brunton.html

Additional Comment:
In some ways, I can understand, that the 'taking of notes' during Ramana Maharshi's discourses, would be distracting to those present. For instance, "M" never took notes of Sri Ramakrishna's talks; but rather would keep a diary at home; based upon his own excellent memory of the day's events.

Best wishes,

Nahabat Web Admin

Thanks, Web Admin

Very interesting to me, Web Admin. I had not heard that information. I will investigate that further when the time is right...

The reason that Brunton's meeting with M is important...to me...is that it is somehow comforting...to hear of his welcome (an English mind)..and to also picture the blessing that was bestowed upon this Western seeker that evening on the rooftop. This mental picture has made an impression on my mind.

Also, the "picture" of M, the description of his physicality, and also finding that he remained completely true and devoted to Sri Ramakrishna, this is also a comfort to me.