Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great Swan

Interesting to read about Paul Brunton. As far as I can recall, "A search in Secret India" was the first book I read in which the Name of Sri Ramakrishna appeared, so a great debt is owed there. More recently, I came across "Great Swan" by a man named Lex Hixon, a disciple of Swami Nikhilinanda. Some of the scenes of Dakshineswar and of the Master and Mother are truly inspiring, even breath-taking ! Am usually rather wary of new books, but this one is a real gem ! Blessings to all..

Re: Great Swan

Thanks for the recommendation, Anthony. Sounds like the kind of read that will "bring you right there". That is what I need right now. I will look into ordering the book.

I am feeling the need, right now, to be very quiet and try to truly connect with my Mother. I have never felt particularly drawn to Sri Ramakrishna, but seemingly Mother is showing me something about him, and I am trying to listen...and connect.

Best wishes to all my dear Brothers and Sisters in the Courtyard.

Re: Great Swan

Dear Brother anthony,

reading your message i remembered my own 'first' time that i heard of Sri Ramakrishna....

it was years ago, and i was at that time seeking guidance so i went to grandmothers collection of books and picked one. it was a compilation of SRKs sayings. it was later on that i read (and am still reading) the Gospel and was totally mesemerized.

would love to hear from all of you here in the courtyard about "first" time you became aware of Sri Ramakrishna.....

Re: Re: Great Swan

Namaste,

The first time I heard about Sri Ramakrishna
was during the late seventies, from a small book, entitled: "Hinduism",which was part of a set,
containing all the major religions, by Louis Renou, P. 1961.

Then, I read about the Master in Ecyclopaedia
Brittanica, which carries a large and complimentary
article.

Of course, my greatest joy, was the discovery in 1981, of a used copy of the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna [first edition] in a second-hand book store for 20 dollars.

Blessings,

Nahabat Web Admin