Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hazards and Benefits of Playback

Though not well understood by most, I always liked John Lennon's "Instant Karma" and there really is such a thing, when you start to notice...

A good analogy for me, is like when you step on a the blade of a shovel laying in the grass and the handle instantly flips up to knock you in the head. I believe that sometimes I personally am working out past karma and at the same time trying to create some good karma. Perhaps when the two meet in the middle, I will finally be free..here's hoping...

Re: Re: Hazards and Benefits of Playback

RE: "The Vedantist can view it as a clear case of the planting of karmic cause and the reaping of karmic result. In general, the relation between actions and consequences........"

-and-

"I personally am working out past karma and at the same time trying
to create some good karma."

Comment: I believe that we must strive to go
'beyond the laws of karma'.

Sri Ramakrishna said it so well:

"After my vision of the Divine Mother, I prayed to Her,
taking a flower in my hand:

'Mother, here is Thy knowledge and here is Thy ignorance.
Take them both and give me only pure love.
Here is Thy holiness and here is Thy unholiness.
Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love.
Here is Thy good and here is Thy evil.
Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love.
Here is Thy righteousness and here is Thy unrighteousness.
Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love'.
I mentioned all these, but I could not say:
'Mother, here is Thy truth and here is Thy falsehood. Take them both'.

I gave up everything at Her Feet,
but could not bring myself to give up truth".

-again-

"You know I am a fool. I know nothing.
Then who is it that says all these things?
I say to the Divine Mother:
'O Mother, I am the machine and Thou art the Operator.
I am the house and Thou art the indweller.
I am the chariot and Thou art the Charioteer.
I do as Thou makest me do. I speak as Thou makest me speak;
I move as Thou makest me move. It is not I !
It is all Thou ! It is all Thou !'
Hers is the glory; we are only Her instruments."

Om Shanthi Om

Nahabat Web Admin

Addenda: Hazards and Benefits of Playback

Going Beyond Karma
by Ven. Thubten Chodron

You said we can go beyond karma. What do you mean?

This refers to getting out of our cyclic existence and attaining liberation. The second of the Four Noble Truths is the origin of suffering. This refers to being under the control of ignorance, anger, and attachment and the karma we create under their influence. So going beyond karma involves going beyond the three poisonous attitudes of ignorance, anger and attachment. To do this, we must realize emptiness (selflessness), for this wisdom understanding the actual mode of existence cuts the misconception of ignorance. When ignorance has been overcome, attachment, anger, and other afflictions, which arise in dependence upon ignorance no longer exist in our mind. Thus we are free from creating the karma that keeps us bound in cyclic existence. Going beyond karma involves developing the determination to attain nirvana or enlightenment and the energy to practice and bring that about.

Can we do it within one lifetime?

If we practice consistently and diligently, nirvana is possible to attain within this lifetime. It may also take many lifetimes. Aim to attain enlightenment in this lifetime, but don't expect to! This means we aspire for enlightenment in one lifetime and generate the joyous effort to create the causes for that. But we aren't selfishly fixated on that goal. That is, we don't impatiently ask, "How come I'm not enlightened yet?" or "How close am I to enlightenment?" Instead, we take joy in the process of going towards enlightenment.

Re: Hazards and Benefits of Playback

Once I was out in the country riding in my car. There was an empty looking house with a cute angel statuette on the porch, seemingly abandoned.

I am not prone to stealing, but I combed my conscious
and decided that I needed that angel on my porch as a symbol of protection, so I took it. It perched on my porch for about 2 days before it fell to the sidewalk in shatters. Soon after, I noticed that my well loved cat statuette which for long had been guarding my step, had been stolen.. How can I grieve or be angry about it?

Mother indeed taught me a lesson.