Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Happy Birthday Swamiji

RE: Cigars

Here is a quote concerning Swamiji's love for cigars:

============================================= [begin quote]
To Mr. Francis H. Leggett
54 W. 33RD ST.
NEW YORK
THE 4TH MAY '95

DEAR FRIEND,

Many thanks for your kind present. The cigars are indeed delicious - and a hundred times so, as coming from you.

With everlasting love and regards,

I remain yours truly,

VIVEKANANDA
============================================= [end quote]

Comment: I would love to see a photo of Swamiji with a cigar.

I would also love to see a GOOD MOTION PICTURE, based on the amazing
life of Swami Vivekananda. A film, which captures his power, his pathos, and his warm humanity; which is evident in the following quote:

===============================================
"From this village I am going to Boston tomorrow. I am going to speak at a big Ladies' Club here, which is helping Ramâbâi. I must first go and buy some clothing in Boston. If I am to live longer here, my quaint dress will not do. People gather by hundreds in the streets to see me. So what I want is to dress myself in a long black coat, and keep a red robe and turban to wear when I lecture. This is what the ladies advise me to do, and they are the rulers here, and I must have their sympathy."

VIVEKANANDA
BREEZY MEADOWS,
METCALF, MASS.,
20th August, 1893.
===============================================[end quote]

Additional Comment: This time of year [mid-to-late January] definitely belongs to our Good Brother Narendra Nath [in our minds anyway]....

December belongs to Sri Saradamani, January to Swamiji, and February to Sri Ramakrishna. In other words, this is the Vedantist's 'time of year' for Birthday Celebrations. Om Shanthi Om

Nahabat Web Admin

Re: Re: Re: Happy Birthday Swamiji

Oh, the strength we get from Swamiji--and He seeems to have gotten His from Our Mother..my best to all of the other children here in this holy spot...--the new year is now well on it's way to being an old year...it goes faster with each heart beat....(let it go..). Mother Bless all of us through the days to come.

Re: Happy Birthday Swamiji

May be wrong but seem to remember reading In Christopher Isherwood's "My Guru and His Disciple" that they used to light a cigarette in the Shrine room at the Hollywood centre !
Rather like that..
Also read just the other day in "Saga of a Great Soul", Swami Shivananda reminiscing about one time at Baranagore:
"One night I had fallen asleep beside Swamiji. There were also Swami Ramakrishnananda and others sleeping nearby. In the dead of night I suddenly awoke and found the whole inside of the mosquito net flooded with light. Looking beside me for Swamiji I could not find him, but in his place were a number of little Sivas lying asleep, all of them seven or eight year old boys, beautiful, of white complexion and with matted locks on their heads. It was the light of their bodies that illumined the room..
..Rubbing my eyes well, I looked again, and saw the same little sleeping Sivas. I just sat there, not knowing what to do. Aside from not wishing to lie down, I was afraid that if I fell asleep my feet might touch the Sivas. The whole night I spent more or less in meditation. When morning came I found Swamiji sleeping there as in the beginning of the night. Later in the morning, when I had told him everything, he laughed a great deal.."
Thought that would be nice to share.