Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Addenda: Getting rid of the Ego

A Devotee — Does one get rid of one’s ego totally after the vision of the Lord?

Sri Ramakrishna — Sometimes He completely erases one’s ego, as in the state of samadhi. But generally He retains a trace of ego. However, there is no harm in this ego. It is like the ego of a child. A five years old child keeps on saying, ‘I, I,’ but he does not harm anybody.

“Iron becomes gold by touching the philosopher’s stone. The steel sword becomes a sword of gold. It keeps the shape of a sword, but does not hurt anybody. You cannot cut or kill with the sword made of gold.”

Re: Evaluating the Devil's Domain

My answers to this subject are not THE answers but they are the answers for me...

I believe that we are in a manifest world...there is also an unmanifest world...as others than myself will testify...this manifest world may be hell...I have often thought so...but if we find wisdom here, then we are reaching for God...what Mother is telling us, is that God is here in the palm of our hands...so perhaps the connundrum itself is our hell...because hell cannot be where God is...

...just my thoughts...

Re: Re: Evaluating the Devil's Domain

Sister Rosemary: My answers to this subject are not THE answers but they are the answers for me...

I believe that we are in a manifest world...there is also an unmanifest world...as others than myself will testify...this manifest world may be hell...I have often thought so...but if we find wisdom here, then we are reaching for God...what Mother is telling us, is that God is here in the palm of our hands...so perhaps the connundrum itself is our hell...because hell cannot be where God is...

...just my thoughts.
=================================================================

Comment: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I also believe that the most widely accepted definition of 'Hell'
is simply: 'Separation from God'; or rather, the 'feeling' of being
separated from God. Here is an appropriate quote from the Master,
during the latter stages of his battle with throat cancer:

Sri Ramakrishna — "You know, he [Dr. Sarkar] is following the path of involution by saying, ‘Not this, not this.’ He is discriminating in this way: the Lord is neither the embodied soul, nor the world. God is there even without His creation. When he [Dr. Sarkar] follows the path of evolution, he will accept everything.

“If you peel off the sheaths of a banana tree, one after the other, you reach its pith.

“The layers of sheath are different from the pith. Neither is the pith the sheath, nor the sheath the pith. At the end, the man sees that the sheath cannot exist without the pith and the pith cannot exist without the sheath. God has Himself become the twenty-four cosmic principles, He Himself has become man. (To the Doctor) There are three kinds of devotees: inferior, mediocre and superior. The inferior class of devotee says, ‘God is out there.’ He sees the Lord separate from His creation. The devotee of the mediocre class says, ‘The Lord is antaryami[344].’ He sees the Lord in the heart of all beings. The superior devotee sees that God Himself has become everything. That He alone has become the twenty-four cosmic principles. He sees that everything is filled with God, above and below.

“Please study the Gita, the Bhagavata and the Vedanta. Then you will understand all this."

I also subscribe to the idea of hell being of our own making, coming from our separation from God.

What is interesting is that Hinduism has both heaven and hell as places where the unenlightened soul goes. But neither eternal! In the Hindu scheme there are seven levels of hell and ... I can''t remember how many actual levels of heaven between earth and brahmaloka. At least five, to make seven levels above the hells.

However, as I mentioned, neither the heavens or hells are eternal. They are simply where one goes after death to enjoy the fruits of karma, good or bad, before being reborn on earth to continue the spiritual journey. One makes no progress in either.

All progress is made as a human, living on the earth level. Thus, the spiritual aspirant wants neither heaven or hell, and strives for God realization, which is beyond both.

i don't pay much attention to heaven or hell. But somehow I find the Hindu version more useful than the Christian versions, which are so fixed and "final".

Re: Re: Re: Evaluating the Devil's Domain

Sister Jayanti: "i don't pay much attention to heaven or hell.
But somehow I find the Hindu version more useful than the
Christian versions, which are so fixed and "final"."

Comment: Perhaps the 'doctrine of Heaven and Hell' was introduced
as the ultimate 'carrot & stick approach' for controlling the masses.

It seems to be just a logical extension of the earthly justice system.
When we keep within the law, all good things may come to us; but when
we break the law, we end up in prison.

Many years ago, I intended to join a Christian Monastery; but was
asked, by the abbot, to leave the premises, after only one week.

You see, my conscience would not allow me to partcipate in their
communal prayers, which went something like this:
"We fear thee, oh Lord".

I explained to the abbot, that my personal relationship with the Lord
was not based upon fear, but rather upon unconditional Love.

Of course, they were not going to change their time-honoured prayers
to suit me, so I packed my bag and headed down the road.

It is not difficult to understand, why the great dualistic religions
have always stressed 'the fear factor'. The environment and culture have
had a lot to do with it. In the ancient Middle East and Europe, they
had a tendency to nail their saints and prophets to crosses and/or
feed them to the lions; whereas, in Mother India,
flowers were placed at their Holy Feet.

It's all a matter of tradition and culture.....

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Thanks Web Admin for the Ramakrishna quotes...

Jayanti, I am in agreement...although born a Christian, I am more comfortable with and find more reasonable the Hindu interpretations...it makes it difficult in my surroundings to find a place to worship...but God puts us where we are...born under the circumstances of his will...

Sister Rosemary: "...it makes it difficult in my surroundings to find a place to worship.."

Comment: I remember, about a year ago, we were discussing [in the Courtyard] your setting up a home shrine to the Holy Trio.

Just print out the photos that you prefer, pick up some inexpensive frames at Wal Mart & you are in business.

You can place the framed photos on your dresser, or on a book shelf, etc.

Pick up a little incense burner and some votive candles [be careful with these, use a safe receptacle and never leave burning candles unattended].

It is very easy to create a suitable environment for meditation and prayer.

Vedanta, in particular, the teachings of the Holy Trio, lends itself
very well to personal and private worship.

There is also this wonderful invention of the Internet, which allows
us to visit hundreds of different Vedanta websites [such as the one we are visiting at the moment], an inexhaustable supply of sublime inspiration.

So, even if we dwell in remote locations, far from large urban centres, we can still be very much in the 'World-Wide Vedanta Loop'.

Just a few thoughts.....

Web Admin,
I remember this discussion about the home altar..etc...somehow one would like to observe the rituals of arati, etc...and have satsang in the physical form...however, I am very grateful for the satsang, here...very grateful....

Dear Sister Rosemary,

I do appreciate your point of view in these matters;
but, as the Stones song goes: "....You can't always get..."

Anyway, I think you mentioned, that you don't have a sound
card on your computer. If you do decide to install one,
there os a nice Arati Wav file, recorded at Belur Math,
available HERE:
members.rediff.com/srirk/images/arati.wav
Compliments of Shivaji Mitra
Visit his lovely site dedicated to Sri Ramakrishna HERE:
members.rediff.com/srirk

Re: Re: Re: Evaluating the Devil's Domain

Followed the discussion with interest. Some thoughts. 1. On Holy Mother's birth tithi in December, 1995, went with Sri Fhanindra to Ramakrishna Temple. There I met other friends. Noticed after a while Sri Fhanindra talking with a beggar women. Curious, went nearer. The lady was spouting the highest philosophy quoting Rabindranath Tagore among others. She said among other things that heaven and hell are here itself, my child. There is no joy (I would say real or lasting joy) in worldy enjoyments. If I am born again, I would prefer to be a Sannyasini, and other things. Sri Fhanindra touched her feet in parting. I sought to emulate him but she did not allow me. Anyway I bowed and felt a presence which has lingered in my memory. 2. Another lady once told me, to have an excessive ego, or unripe ego is to experience the travails of rowrowwai naraka, perhaps among the lowest of hells, 3. I cried to Mother to take me up in Her lap. Sri Fhanindra discerning my thoughts frowned. He explained afterwards. Suppose Mother does take you in Her lap but you then again have a desire for worldly enjoyments. What a tragedy that will be. So better to finish the experiences. And what has developed gradually will also disappear gradually, the diseased ego. Then you can repair for ever to Ma's lap. 4. Sri Fhanindra, a saint in my personal estimation lives till present in a small rented room, with a small kitchen. In the kitchen itself he has installed Devi Durga, his chosen ideal. And the shrine has become living through his tapasya and daily meditation. His worship is a worship of love, very little rituals. And on the small table he has He has put the Holy Trinity, Holy Mother, Ramakrishna and Swami ji. I felt that they are more happy there than even in my larger exclusive shrine room. Regards.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Dear Sister Rosemary,

I do appreciate your point of view in these matters;
but, as the Stones song goes: "....You can't always get..."

Anyway, I think you mentioned, that you don't have a sound
card on your computer. If you do decide to install one,
there os a nice Arati Wav file, recorded at Belur Math,
available HERE:
members.rediff.com/srirk/images/arati.wav
Compliments of Shivaji Mitra
Visit his lovely site dedicated to Sri Ramakrishna HERE: