Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: control of thoughts...

I forgot to say that I have not read the book, but will look into it.

Hey, Anthony, & Web Admin...and all who are reading the posts here...

Thank you, Jayanti!! I was hoping someone would be able to say that...I felt that the falling away of desires must come naturally, but did not have the background research to make the statement...Meantime, Anon, please do not beat yourself up!!

A long, long time ago I heard an explanation of how to get children to share their toys...and it always had deep psychological implications for me on many different levels.

If a parent asks a very young child (we are talking about a 3 year old level, maybe) to share or give up a toy, and the child balks and refuses, then it means that the child does not have a feeling of ownership for the toy. The child must first come to the realization that the toy is his, only then, can the child make his own decision about the act of relinquishing.

You see, it does not mean that the child is greedy or stingy or that the parent is a bad parent. The process just has not finished in the mind of the child..

This explanation has been a big help to me.

Jai Ma!

Re: Re: control of thoughts...

Very good one as I have found from practical experience! Enjoy as if it belonged to you. Leaving it is then easy for you feel some interest in its/his/her welfare! Making sense? Lust has been my achilles heel, it emanated from my real disease, unhealthy ego. Company of the children of God (not in the Vedantic sense of all being His children) is the only remedy for me at present not to go berserk. His child, Fhanindra has given me the love to continue to fight. He asked me, do you want to die or live. I choose to live. Then you have to fight, he said. The good company is the most important. Don't read too much, Anon. I have read legions. ANd it has only given me excuses to hide my weaknesses. Then Holy Mother thrashed me (I used to cry like a madman, Kali Ma(identical with Sarada), Kali Ma, beat me, in our language! And I am much better for the beating! Matter of personal experience, not to be taken literally or emulated at all.

Anon, one another point with regard to lust. Patience, patience, patience, accept, accept, accept your weaknesses as they are. It will make you a better person. MOTHER(NATURE) KNOWS WHEN TO TUEN OFF THE TAP, SAYS SRI FHANINDRA. How I hated myself and others, the objects of my lust when my ordeal started ten years ago! Then, Holy Mother mellowed me and today I am a little more at peace though unable to see the shore in any way yet. Believe in MA no matter what happens. She is kindness incarnate.
ps. Don't dwell too much on the thoughts you don't like, says Sri Fhanindra.
Love.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

What does one do to control sexual thoughts? I seem to find it impossible to keep my mind chaste.........

I was previously very devoted to God, and even moderate control of such thoughts was possible, then i fell in love with a member of the opp sex, i was totally obssessed with that person, even my prayers became less, and my thoughts revovled arouns that person and not around God..... nothing much came of it, the person didnt seriously care about me...

but even now, i feel a lot has changed about me and my way of thinking, i am 25 yrs old, previously i thought a lot of leading a spiritual life, but now i no longer seem to constantly desire it, i find myself wanting a worldy life............

but when i look around i see relationships breaking, who truly loves anyone here, the wonderful state of mind i was in previously has gone for good, i feel a lot has changed about me...... for the worse im afraid

i try to pray, but prayer without renounciation is not the same thing is it? everywhere in the books published by the Ramakrishna mission i read the importance of continence.