Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yoga -mAyA

I often wonder what the message is for us, in Mother's relationship with Radhu. I see your point, Web Admin, but I don't feel like I'm quite getting the whole picture.

When the Master discerned Mother's desire for having children, he said to her, "Do you really want to go through what your parents suffered?" (referring to the death of her brother...)

But then, her desire was answered in the form of Radhu....also there was hostility from her sister in law, who expressed the idea that Mother was trying to take over with her child....

Whatever happened to Radhu's child?

Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

Dear Sister Rosemary,

Concerning Radhu's child, I haven't read any further information. Perhaps Sister Jayanti and/or the other visitors to Mother's Courtyard may have some ideas on that.

RE: "Mother's desire for having children"

Here are some appropriate quotes from "In the Company of Holy Mother",
concerning Mother's desire for children:

Every normal woman feels the urge of motherhood, which has been planted in her heart by the Lord Himself. Women who are creative in body satisfy this urge through physical offspring, but a rare few, creative in spirit, satisfy the same urge through children of the spirit.

Sarada Devi consequently became mother to innumerable spiritual children. Before the full realiazation of her divine motherhood, once in a while she felt a desire to possess ordinary children. She had been told that a woman without offspring was regarded in Hindu society as unlucky and inauspicious.

One day her own mother bitterly complained that on account of Sarada's marriage to an insane man, who was not interested in worldly life, she would never hear the sweet and soothing word "mother". Sri Ramakrishna reassured her with the promise that her daughter would have so many children that her ears would ache, as it were, by constantly hearing the word "mother".

When Sarada Devi once complained to her husband in the same strain, he said, "Why should you worry about children? I shall leave for you many children, all pure as gold, the like of whom women do not obtain through the austerities and prayers of millions of lives." Sarada Devi was satisfied. Gradually her hidden motherhood began to express itself in her outer activites.

Nahabat Guestbook

This question on Judas pops in my mind.. If he knew beforehand of his own part in the death of his Master, then why commit suicide? Why this act of violence against himself?

Thanks...

Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

There is not 100% agreement that Judas committed suicide. At least one account says he fell.

Nonetheless, his remorse is easily imagined. Even Jesus prayed that he might not have to be crucified. If God incarnate can so pray, a disciple can surely feel doubt and confusion, regret, loss. Although Jesus is said to have told the disciples that he was going to be put to death, they did not understand. Perhaps Judas did not understand either, until it was "too late".

Also, when we follow God's lead, we do not always know the "whys" or of the future. The moment when Jesus was seized must have seemed the most hopeless moment in time. How does one face one's self, what to speak of Jesus' other disciples and followers?

Or..... pure speculation, maybe it was not suicide. Maybe it was liberation. Having completed his role...

But this is reaching beyond Jesus, the central player. :)

Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

The fundamental idea of Christianity, is the Crucifed Lord,
re-incarnating Himself within his devotees, through the Sacrament
of Holy Communion. A wonderful concept!

Vedanta is one of the world's most ancient religious philosophies and one of its broadest. Based on the Vedas, the sacred scriptures of India, Vedanta affirms the oneness of existence, the divinity of the soul, and the harmony of religions. Vedanta is the philosophical foundation of Hinduism; but while Hinduism includes aspects of Indian culture, Vedanta is universal in its application and is equally relevant to all countries, all cultures, and all religious backgrounds.

Thanks for the answers. My upbringing in religion is so myopic (if that means nearsighted), that it is hard for me to branch out with other possibilities...

I truly appreciate the topic and the discussion and the replies to my questions...it is a fascinating subject to me...and helpful, also...