Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

I'm afraid I do not know any more about Radhu's child. But I would like to add what I have always felt significant.

"This is your Yoga Maya." How interestly contradictory this sounds. "Yoga" means "to return to" or "to be yoked or bound to". Religion has this same concept. Relion derives from a Latin word meaning "to bind" or "bind back."

In both instances, religion and yoga, these are held to be the body of teachings and spiritual practices that bind us to the Truth, to Mother...that lead us out of our bondage to the world and our limited body awareness. Yoga leads us, our awareness, out of Maya.

So notice what has happened. Holy Mother, whose awareness is already with the Absolute and causes her to long to leave the body, is given Radhu as her "yoga maya" -- the support that keeps her bound to the world! Mother's discipline for keeping her consciousness down from the highest plane is her "attachment to" Radhu!

Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

Namate Jayanti,

In the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, it is stated (in the Glossary) as follows:

YogamAyA: The union of Purusha, the male principle, and Pakriti, the female principle, of reality; also Shakti, or Divine Power

Here is a quote from the Kathamrita:

Sri Ramakrishna: Yogamaya means the union of Purusha and Prakriti. Whatever you see is all the union of Purusha and Prakriti. The image of Shiva and Kali, Kali stands on Shiva. Shiva is lying like a corpse. Kali is looking at Shiva. All this is the union of Purusha and Prakriti. Purusha is inactive, so Shiva is lying like a corpse. It is in conjunction with Purusha that Prakriti performs all Her actions ­ She creates, preserves and dissolves.

Comment: I believe that the 'key sentence' in the above is:
Whatever you see is all the union of Purusha and Prakriti
In other words, Radhu represented 'the world' (YogamAyA).
And she certainly was 'worldly'. Although, I did find a most delightful quote from "In The Company of The Holy Mother", which displays 'a rare simplicity' in Radhu's character:

Mother related. "When the Raja of Ramnad heard that I had gone there, he ordered his Dewan to show us his palace, treasury, and all that there was to see, and to present me then and there anything I took a fancy to. What could I ask for? Failing to make any choice, I said at last, 'What want have I, my son, Shashi has arranged for all that we may need'.

"And then on the second thought that they might be disappointed, I said, 'Very well, Radhu may take something if she needs'. To Radhu I said, 'Look here, you can take anything if you have a need'. Then we looked at the jewels and diamonds, my heart beat quick, and I prayed earnestly to the Master, 'Kindly see that Radhu covets nothing'.

"As for Radhu, she said, 'There's nothing that I would care to take from there, I don't want any of these. I have lost the pencil I use for writing; purchase a pencil for me'.

"That relieved me of all anxiety. I walked out at ease and purchased from a shop outside a pencil worth two pice."

Here is a quote from "M" The Apostle on Yogamaya:

M. : Tell me, how people can recognize him? The avatara leela is possible by taking refuge in Yogamaya. She casts all the magic. If the Mother removes the veil then alone one can recognize. Just take the case of Thakur - he was a temple priest on six rupees a month; he was indigent and broken in health by malaria! And then he walked naked. Sometimes, he would tie a tail to his body and walk about jumping. And he would take a pole on his shoulder. In addition, at the time of the puja he would put all the flowers on his own head. He fed the cat with the puri (kind of thin fried bread) of bhoga (offering of food made to the deity). On the other hand, see that because of his grace all these poor boys became world teachers. He had recognized the devotees and he made them recognize him. Thus it is clear that he is an avatara. On the one hand an indigent priest, on the other he is worshipped throughout the world.

Comment: As Sister Jayanti wrote: "...the support that keeps her bound to the world! Mother's discipline for keeping her consciousness down from the highest plane is her "attachment to" Radhu!"

Of course, the Divine Mother has 'every intention' of keeping us bound to the world. As Sri Ramakrishna said:

"The Divine Mother wants to continue playing with Her
created beings. In a game of hide-and-seek the running
about soon stops if in the beginning all the players
touch the 'granny'. If all touch her, than how can the game
go on? That displeases Her.
Her pleasure is in continuing the game."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

Just perhaps, Radhu was not a complete "lost cause"...

Just perhaps, Radhu was struggling with her mental illness...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

Dear Sister Rosemary,

RE: "Just perhaps, Radhu was not a complete "lost cause"..."

Comment: As far as Sri Ramakrishna is concerned, there is no such thing as a 'lost cause'.

The Blessed Master Said:

"All will surely realize God. All will be liberated.
It may be that some get their meal in the morning,
some at noon, and some in the evening,
but none will go without food.
All, without any exception,
will certainly know the real Self."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

I believe my observation was not well expressed. :) There is, of course, the various meanings of yogamaya.

However, I was reflecting on the practical aspect or outcome of the fact that Sri Ramakrishna presented Radhu to Mother, saying "this is your yogamaya...your support..." (paraphrased)

Mother wanted to leave the world, not as a wife who longs for her dead husband , but as a divine being who was absorbed in Truth. So Radhu was given to her as a focus or support, to help her keep her awareness at a level at which she could perform her role within the world. Radhu helped "bind Mother" so she could be OUR Mother.

But of course Mother was never truly bond. This is way I called Mother's seeming attachment to Radhu as her "practice" to hold her attention to the world ... much like our spiritual practice is to elevate our awareness.

And, of course, Radhu was not a lost cause. She was part of the divine play of the holy Three.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

I suppose I did not express myself well, either..
My meaning about "lost cause" was that Radhu is generally viewed as "difficult"...I get the idea that she was someone that the general population had to adjust to and "put up" with...

Mother herself seemed to be perplexed, as she once made the statement that she had raised Radhu with such care...

I now believe that there was something in Radhu that was better than what the world saw...

Her last known statement, pertaining to her own critical illness (that Mother was taking care of everything) shows her clarity and faith...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

Dear Sister Rosemary,

RE: "I get the idea that she was someone that the general population had to adjust to and "put up" with."

Comment: In my humble opinion, the general population didn't have too much to do with Radhu. Mother was the one, who had to 'put up' with her.

Here are some pertinent excepts from: "In the Company of The Holy Mother":

Swami Ishanananda:

A few months later I was staying at the Belur Math. Radhu was ailing at the 'Udbodhan'. She could not bear any sound. So Mother moved with her to the boarding house of the Sister Nivedita Girl's School.

I used to go there very often to meet Mother. She was very much worried, and said, "Of a truth, where am I to go with her? There is solitude in the country, but there is no medical help worth mentioning."

At noon of the birthday celebrations of Swami Vivekananda, I heard all of a sudden that Mother was leaving for her vilage. In obedience to Sharat Maharaj's order, I hurried to the 'Udbodhan' at evening, so as to able to accompany Mother.

Going upstairs, I found Mother arranging some coir ropes. As soon as she saw me, she said, "I am going to the village along with this unlimited responsibility (meaning Radhu's care). What about your coming with me? You all are my only hope there."

Radhu was undoubtedly the albatross in Mother's life.

RE: "I now believe that there was something in Radhu that was better than what the world saw..."

Comment: Again, I don't think that 'the world' saw too much of Radhu, since she was Mother's 'unlimited responsibility'. I believe that you made a comment, a few posts back, Rosemary, that 'Just perhaps, Radhu was struggling with her mental illness'. Actually, methinks that you have 'hit the nail on the head' with this one. So, if Radhu was indeed mentally ill, she deserves every bit of our compassion and understanding, just as Holy Mother continuously 'put up with her annoying demands', until the time came for her to leave her mortal frame and become absorbed into the Infinite Ocean of Perfection. Swami Vivekananada said it so well:

"But only one thing is certain; the mighty river is rushing towards the ocean, and all the drops that constitute the stream will in time be drawn into that boundless ocean. So, in this life, with all its miseries and sorrows, its joys and smiles and tears, one thing is certain, that all things are rushing towards their goal, and it is only a question of time when you and I, and plants and animals, and every particle of life that exists must reach the Infinite Ocean of Perfection, must attain to Freedom, to God."

Nahabat Guestbook

Re: Yoga -mAyA and Easter Blessings

As tomorrow is Easter I'll confess, I've always felt Judas received a bum rap. If we accept the Hindu idea that God takes human birth for a purpose and that the incarnations bring with them those who are needed to carry out that purpose... Judas' role is clear. He is the one who brought about "Easter." Without the so-called "betrayal" -- which Jesus knew about -- there would have been no resurrection. Folks can talk about "what might have been". But with God there are no "might have beens."

Incarnations write their own divine play, not chance. And returning to Judas, The Gospel of John, the youngest of the gospels, associates Judas with Satan; The three early gospels make no such claim. Judas is not any more or less significant, he simply plays a role. But how devastating it must have been to see, with your own eyes, that your actions brought about the death of your Master... even if he instructed you to do so.

Radhu is part of Mother's play. Firstly, she is what Sri Ramakrishna said she was: the 'tie" to keep Mother's consciousness in and on the world.

But everything about Mother's life can be said to have significance. I think Radhu has a great importance, along with other members of Mother's family.

If Mother had lived a perfectly peaceful life surrounded by an ideal family, and if Radhu had been a wonderful niece, sunshine and light ....

Would Sri Sarada Devi have been OUR Mother? When she said "I am the Mother of the virtuous and the Mother of the wicked....Know that you have a Mother," would we have BELIEVED her?

Again, if Mother had lived a perfect, trouble-free life, would that have set an example for us? How many of us would related to such an existence?

Who among us is an ideal child? Who among us has simple, easy lives. But we know Mother understands the struggles we face because she met with the same kinds of challenges. We are assured of of Mother's acceptance and love because we see it reflected in her life. We see the affect of Mother's love. Radhu did know who her aunt was and what she had done for her.

An American Swami I know once explained each aspect of the nativity in terms its significance with respect to Jesus' incarnation. It was not recorded, and I have so regretted it because the beauty and depth was astounding. Christmas came alive in a way that it never had before. That same swami taught us to look at the divine play on earth in terms of the central Diivine figure, rather than dwelling on some particular aspect or person.

May the affirmation of Eternal Life, the universal message of Easter, find resonance in our hearts.

Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA and Easter Blessings

Dear Sister Jayanti,

Thanks for sharing your Easter thoughts.

RE: Eternal Life

Swamiji had this to say about that:

" Thank God, nothing is eternal except Himself. He alone can bear it, I am sure. Eternity of nonsense!"

Again, this is what Swamiji had to say about our old friend, Judas:

"PS. Now I am going to be truly Vivekananda. Did you ever enjoy evil! Ha! ha! you silly girl, all is good! Nonsense. Some good, some evil. I enjoy the good and I enjoy the evil. I was Jesus and I was Judas Iscariot; both my play, my fun. "So long as there are two, fear shall not leave thee." Ostrich method? Hide your heads in the sand and think there is nobody seeing you! All is good! Be brave and face everything - come good, come evil, both welcome, both of you my play. I have no good to attain, no ideal to clench up to, no ambition to fulfil; I, the diamond mine, am playing with pebbles, good and evil; good for you - evil, come; good for you-good, you come too. If the universe tumbles round my ears, what is that to me? I am Peace that passeth understanding; understanding only gives us good or evil. I am beyond, I am peace."

The foregoing is excerpted from a letter to Miss Mary Hale, written on 28th March, 1900, when Swamiji was residing at 1719 Turk Street, San Fransisco.

Read the whole letter HERE

Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA and Easter Blessings

Wonderful excerpt from Swamiji!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA and Easter Blessings

Thanks to you both for the interesting slant on Judas.
I think it would be helpful to have corrective lenses on our eyes, so that we could see what was meant to be seen.

Lots to think about from this slant...

Jai Ma!

Re: Yoga -mAyA

I often wonder what the message is for us, in Mother's relationship with Radhu. I see your point, Web Admin, but I don't feel like I'm quite getting the whole picture.

When the Master discerned Mother's desire for having children, he said to her, "Do you really want to go through what your parents suffered?" (referring to the death of her brother...)

But then, her desire was answered in the form of Radhu....also there was hostility from her sister in law, who expressed the idea that Mother was trying to take over with her child....

Whatever happened to Radhu's child?

Dear Sister Rosemary,

Concerning Radhu's child, I haven't read any further information. Perhaps Sister Jayanti and/or the other visitors to Mother's Courtyard may have some ideas on that.

RE: "Mother's desire for having children"

Here are some appropriate quotes from "In the Company of Holy Mother",
concerning Mother's desire for children:

Every normal woman feels the urge of motherhood, which has been planted in her heart by the Lord Himself. Women who are creative in body satisfy this urge through physical offspring, but a rare few, creative in spirit, satisfy the same urge through children of the spirit.

Sarada Devi consequently became mother to innumerable spiritual children. Before the full realiazation of her divine motherhood, once in a while she felt a desire to possess ordinary children. She had been told that a woman without offspring was regarded in Hindu society as unlucky and inauspicious.

One day her own mother bitterly complained that on account of Sarada's marriage to an insane man, who was not interested in worldly life, she would never hear the sweet and soothing word "mother". Sri Ramakrishna reassured her with the promise that her daughter would have so many children that her ears would ache, as it were, by constantly hearing the word "mother".

When Sarada Devi once complained to her husband in the same strain, he said, "Why should you worry about children? I shall leave for you many children, all pure as gold, the like of whom women do not obtain through the austerities and prayers of millions of lives." Sarada Devi was satisfied. Gradually her hidden motherhood began to express itself in her outer activites.

Nahabat Guestbook

This question on Judas pops in my mind.. If he knew beforehand of his own part in the death of his Master, then why commit suicide? Why this act of violence against himself?

Thanks...

There is not 100% agreement that Judas committed suicide. At least one account says he fell.

Nonetheless, his remorse is easily imagined. Even Jesus prayed that he might not have to be crucified. If God incarnate can so pray, a disciple can surely feel doubt and confusion, regret, loss. Although Jesus is said to have told the disciples that he was going to be put to death, they did not understand. Perhaps Judas did not understand either, until it was "too late".

Also, when we follow God's lead, we do not always know the "whys" or of the future. The moment when Jesus was seized must have seemed the most hopeless moment in time. How does one face one's self, what to speak of Jesus' other disciples and followers?

Or..... pure speculation, maybe it was not suicide. Maybe it was liberation. Having completed his role...

But this is reaching beyond Jesus, the central player. :)

Re: Re: Re: Yoga -mAyA

The fundamental idea of Christianity, is the Crucifed Lord,
re-incarnating Himself within his devotees, through the Sacrament
of Holy Communion. A wonderful concept!

Vedanta is one of the world's most ancient religious philosophies and one of its broadest. Based on the Vedas, the sacred scriptures of India, Vedanta affirms the oneness of existence, the divinity of the soul, and the harmony of religions. Vedanta is the philosophical foundation of Hinduism; but while Hinduism includes aspects of Indian culture, Vedanta is universal in its application and is equally relevant to all countries, all cultures, and all religious backgrounds.

Thanks for the answers. My upbringing in religion is so myopic (if that means nearsighted), that it is hard for me to branch out with other possibilities...

I truly appreciate the topic and the discussion and the replies to my questions...it is a fascinating subject to me...and helpful, also...