Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Every Sinner Has a Future

Thanks for that one, Sabra. Useful to this at the moment, when the mind is so full of rubbish and nonsense. Why does it hanker for worldly enjoyments time after time, despite knowing full well the painful consequences ?
Also, personally, it seems to be that one gets going well in one's sadhana (finally) and then, just as the smell of flowers is becoming really sweet, the mind craves fish. I truly wish i could say i will "sin no more" - but even that resolve seems risky to make. Oh Mother, it really can be wearing!!

Re: Re: Every Sinner Has a Future

There is nothing to fear as long as we have the Mother as our guide. I am reminded of an incident which I have shared here in the courtyard.

I went to visit Pravrajika Mokshapranaji the second President of the Sarada Math. I was also feeling weary and tired. So in a complaining tone I said, "Mataji, how many more tests is Mother going to give me?" In a very serious tone she said, "As long as the body is there, the tests will continue"

It is a process and the journey is the destination. If we can think of it as a journey and not think that we need to "get" there then it might be easier and less tiring. However, greatness lies in rising every time we fall.

Mother is with us and within us. Why fear? She holds each one of us by Her hand... feel Her presence.... the rest will follow.

Re: Re: Re: Every Sinner Has a Future

Thanks for that, Paritosh. Am not sure if quite understand the meaning of "the journey is the destination" however. Mind is rather dull at the moment..
What is strange (or how Maya works in this instance) is that the mind knows full well that only anxiety, restlessness and other negatives will result, if it tries to "enjoy" worldly intoxications, yet it still hasn't learned. There is an illustration, from Sri Ramana I think, of the man who runs out into the hot sun as soon as he has found some shade. It's all fun and games though, when, as you so rightly say, one turns back to Mother.
Just tapping this out on the keyboard is therapeutic!
Jai Ma!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Every Sinner Has a Future

The journey is the destination, what I mean is not to look at spiritual life is traveling from point A to point B or like a grade at school but as a process. It is living the life every moment. Not just when people are watching but the daily struggles that we all have to face in order to let the real Child of the Mother shine forth. The mind will always play tricks and you are not alone in how you feel… we all do at different times… its just that you have to courage to talk about it and that in itself is living the life, being honest with ourselves, not fooling anyone.

Sri Ramakrishna speaks about the camel who continues to eat the cactus plant even though it continues to bleed while eating the cactus plant. We are in the same state like the camel and continue to make the same mistakes.

Turn back to the Mother that is one of the many ways… but for me it is the easiest. Yes typing away at the keyboard is therapeutic because at that moment when we are typing we are connected to the Mother. Do you think that meditation and japa are the only ways to think of the Mother? Coming here to the courtyard and sharing and being part of Mother’s cyber family is also another form of worship.

Never fear. Mother is there always whether you are aware of it or not. Every breath belongs to the Mother. When you think about it all the dullness of your mind will take flight and you will find yourself coming closer to the Mother. This process of practice of the presence of Mother every step of the way is what will draw your mind towards the Mother. I try to concentrate on the positive, moving towards the Mother ... then moving away from the world is natural. But at times I wonder is the world different from the Mother? Did She not live and show us that even in Jayarambati with all the relatives … She lived the life.

There is so much to write and to think…. But it is more important to translate our understanding to action rather than mere talk.

Jai Ma.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Every Sinner Has a Future

Yet again, my thanks Paritosh. Good point about coming here being a form of worship..had never thought of it in that way.

Re: Every Sinner Has a Future

It seems that I remember reading that Sri Ramakrishna was a little uncomfortable around "women of ill repute" (going back to the "sinner" theme)...but it seems like I remember also that Mother set him straight. Does anyone else remember reading about this?....I believe that there was a conversation between them along these lines..

Also, I have heard the analogy, much like the camel analogy, that a dog will gnaw a good bone until his gums bleed. I think that is what worldliness and attachment breeds for us...pain and misery...it is hard to let go of fantasies, projections, lust and anger, and just let go...and see the world for what it is and not for what we want it to be. Try letting go of it when your deep anger is really riled...I've noticed that I WANT TO HANG ON TO IT...(Why???)

Forebearance in life... and how to approach one's spiritual master...I do not believe that "sinning" is even an issue...I believe that sin just falls away as , each day, we live to obey the teachings of the guru...

Jai Ma

Sin is simply our ignorance at work. Sri Ramakrishna gave this example of how we move towards knowledge: "With each step you take towards the West, you move that much farther from the East." He might have said it the other way, but the idea is one of process .

We don't arrive instantly, but as long as the effort is made, then we are making progress. And Sri Ramakrishna said that our desires must be allowed to fall off naturally like a scab falls from a wound that has healed. We have only to apply the ointment of spiritual practice.

Sri Ramkrishna and Holy Mother are one. But for the sake of instructing others He stayed away from those of ill repute, while She, the mother of all and giver of refuge to the refugeless, embraced all. It is all His Leela-Khela, Divine sport and play. I do remember reading long ago the conversation between Sri Ramakrishna and Holy Mother you refer to.
The Dog's gum bleeding is a good analogy. I myself have experienced it! THe reason I cannot let go of fantasies, lust, anger et al is because of my ego which is sitting where the Lord should sit, on my head. Once it is dethroned, our miseries will lessen. Sri Fhanindra tells me to deal with lust with a sense of humour and to take God's name. It works sometimes when I am sincere and humble! Adversity make me humble. So I have to be whipped back into sense by Holy Mother. What to do except to depend on her unconditional mercy i.e. Grace. Obeying is not so easy an affair as I thought it to be. Mother knows what is in Her mnd. It is Her creation, we are her mental projections. So She knows best. Gurudev Bhuteshananda ji cried out like a child, "Ma, Ma" when I left His presence in March, 1998 just before I was chucked out of the Advaita Ashrama, Kolkata. Perhaps that is the way which in time and after more mellowing I will find relief in adopting.
Thanks and regards,
Ankur