Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beggars

I was thinking of posting this subject, but decided not to...then, I saw Ankur's post regarding a beggar woman and changed my mind...

I came across some panhandlers on Sunday with outstretched hands. In fact, there was a near crowd of them in the city I visited. I simply replied that I had given all of my spare change in church that morning (which was true) and most of them replied, "God Bless You"...then I thought of the reputation that India has for beggars and my question is this...

How does one keep up with them... how does one know the sincerity of the request...I have been taken at times by beggars wanting money to buy drugs or alcohol...

There are two instances which I think of often in relation to begging...one, is that Mother Theresa realized dharma when a beggar told her he was thirsty...and also, I think often of the person who fed Sri Ramana Maharshi upon his arrival at Arunachala and I feel personally and deeply that this man and his descendents must be blessed.

Re: Beggars

Third or fourth trial. Voltage is low. Computer shuts down!

Beggars are less to be seen here than in other parts of India, I feel. It is truly difficult to know who is sincere and who is not. Sri Fhanindra recommends: 1. When you see a simple smile on anyone’s face, know God is there, 2. When a minor below 12 to 11 years asks you something, don’t refuse. God works through such children.

The person who fed Sri Ramana must surely have earned a blessing for himself from our Master(God) for himself & his descendants. How beautiful are Ramana’s eyes and facial expression. I wrote to him, received reply from his ashram. Started me off on my spiritual journey. That was 13 years ago. I often muse on the identity of Holy Mother and Ramana Maharshi. I am always eager to learn more about these two persons.
Regards.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was thinking of posting this subject, but decided not to...then, I saw Ankur's post regarding a beggar woman and changed my mind...

I came across some panhandlers on Sunday with outstretched hands. In fact, there was a near crowd of them in the city I visited. I simply replied that I had given all of my spare change in church that morning (which was true) and most of them replied, "God Bless You"...then I thought of the reputation that India has for beggars and my question is this...

How does one keep up with them... how does one know the sincerity of the request...I have been taken at times by beggars wanting money to buy drugs or alcohol...

There are two instances which I think of often in relation to begging...one, is that Mother Theresa realized dharma when a beggar told her he was thirsty...and also, I think often of the person who fed Sri Ramana Maharshi upon his arrival at Arunachala and I feel personally and deeply that this man and his descendents must be blessed.

Re: Re: Beggars

Thank you Ankur. One can feel the wisdom in your reply.

Regarding beggers in America I have heard several swamis reccommend offering food in place of money, such as in, "I can't give you cash, but come, let me buy you something to eat." -- if there is a place near by. Or, leave the person and come back with a sandwich or something. This is not always easy, but the times I have done it have been very nice.

One may wonder, is this judgemental to not want to give cash. But I would turn to the discussion in various easter scripture about the wise or spiritual person knowing what is a proper gift. Is it wise to give a drug addict cash when they need food and blankets or other things? Nothing may be better than knowingly giving a gift that may harm them.

Re: Re: Re: Beggars

Gift of food or gift in kind is definitely better or safer! However as you mentioned this is not always possible. Another rule Sri Ramakrishna mentioned is that when you visit a place of worship, where generally you come across beggars, first finish your darshan of the diety and your worship and then only give in alms if you wish. Feeding beggars who ask for food is definitely satisfying, as I also have experienced. I have an incident in this regard which earned me grace marks in God's exam, or so I felt from a comment a devotee made. But I cannot share because Sri Fhanindra advices against speaking about one's acts of charity. He seems to know best where to give and where not to. Going by city bus, some blind beggards board the bus at a stop and sing paens in praise of the Lord. Sri Fhanindra remarked as if censoring himself, "We don't find time to give even a little money to them1" He of course gives. On many other occasion, he prohibits me from giving to beggars, though I feel momentarily that the candidate is worthy of charity. And he always proves right.
One incident I may safely share with you. THe day after our diksha on November 22, 1994, i.e. on Nov 23, we were going to have darshan of Gurudev Bhuteshananda ji. I unfortunately had only one rupee with me, which I was saving to give as dakshina. Suddenly a beggar women accosted us (me and my friend Mridul). After just a moments' hesitation, I gave the coin to the beggar and the thought that came to my mind in giving was that Gurudev had received it through her. On coming before Gurudev, he turned towards me and gave me such a beautiful smile that I understood that he knew.
On the other hand, I remember giving money to a colleague in a former work place of mine, supposedly on loan. He continued asking me and taking from me now and then always promising to repay but never doing. Later I learnt he was a drug addict. Now on the advice of my master, I consult him before giving any substantial amount to anybody however trustworthy he/she may appear on the surface. His judgement has never proved wrong.
Ps. THe incident with Gurudev had another moral, not satisfying but edifying. When Gurudev smiled, I instead of returning his smile and furthering our relationship (for he said at the time of diksha--think of me as your own), I bowed and fervently prayed 'May i always remember you' On repeated mental request, he made a gesture of granting my request but did not seem pleased. The request has been granted. I have felt it over the years. But it has become more a bane than a boon. Ultimately, of course everything from a great soul is for one's good. But the lesson which I learnt was never to ask anything of God or Guru. I learnt it after repeated advice of Sri Fhanindra and personal setbacks. He advices, 'one doesn't ask anything of one's guru' and 'Ankur, never ask anything from God' This has really helped me though I am as yet practicing them still.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thank you Ankur. One can feel the wisdom in your reply.

Regarding beggers in America I have heard several swamis reccommend offering food in place of money, such as in, "I can't give you cash, but come, let me buy you something to eat." -- if there is a place near by. Or, leave the person and come back with a sandwich or something. This is not always easy, but the times I have done it have been very nice.

One may wonder, is this judgemental to not want to give cash. But I would turn to the discussion in various easter scripture about the wise or spiritual person knowing what is a proper gift. Is it wise to give a drug addict cash when they need food and blankets or other things? Nothing may be better than knowingly giving a gift that may harm them.

Re: Beggars

Ankur,
Thanks for your reply. It was helpful.

Jai Ma