Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

What can I say. I am but a young boy grown old mentally by deserved suffering. Feeling happy over your reply. Thank you. "Not that I loved you, Lord, but that you loved me." Grace, grace, grace," to quote Swami Premananda, incarnation in part of Sri Radha and companion of Sri Ramakrishna.
Regards.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Ankur Ji,

I enjoyed your delightful reply. We are truly blessed to
be accepted into Mother's Coutyard, in order to express
our views.

We must always remember how the Master loved Girish Ghosh, even though, the famous Bengali playwright was deeply attached to worldy pleasures. But he was also an intense 'seeker after truth'. Therein lies the amazing paradox.

This should give us heart & help us realize that
we are loved by the Holy Trio UNCONDITIONALLY.

RE: You Wrote: "I heard a voice inside me as he passed me, "I promise to make you my own!" I may be a bit mad, but I believe in the authenticity of what I heard and now that remain my only wish."

Comment: It is a Divine madness, to be sure!

RE: Your Guru Sri Fhanindra

Living in Mother India has given you the blessed opportunity, of meeting Hindu Holy Men, face to face, on a regular basis. I live in North America, in an isolated location. My Vedanta learning comes from books, and of course, this wonderful resource we call the Internet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

My earlier post was shabbily written in a hurry, what with the current and voltage here. Here is the same post edited with respect to spelling.

Respected Web admin,

thank you very much for your post. You are right in thinking that Sri Fhanindra has an insight into the secrets of my heart. He has, and to an amazing respect. So much so that I believe that no thought or direction of thought of mine ever escapes his notice. I have found repeated confirmation of this. So he calls me dasyu (sort of like lowcaste or outcaste with low tendencies). And at the same time, in what may seem contradictory, he told me in what was a evident reference to me that Mother having put someone once on a high seat doesn't easily turn Her face from the person. Maybe I have fallen from a high state, a sort of fallen star. Just my speculation. And yes, just after my diksha (initiation), I read portions from the Gita before Swami Brahmananda's temple at Belur Math and portions from the Chandi or Durga Saptasati in front of Holy Mothers' temple there. The portion I spontaneously read, having turned a page in random, is where Arjuna asks Sri Krishna about the condition of a yoga-bhrasta or one fallen from Yoga, and Krishna answers that a doer of good never comes to grief and proceeds to explain in detail what happens to such a soul. Now I haven't been born in a family of yogis but into a good family with noble ancestry and standing in society. Maybe, one day, the memory of my past practices will awaken and lead me to the Goal that I had by God's grace set for myself in my last birth. Again, just speculation, yet a hope too. Finally, as my Diksha guru, Swami Bhuteshananda, was returning in car to his residence in Belur Math, I heard a voice inside me as he passed by me, "I promise to make you my own!" I may be a bit mad, but I believe in the authenticity of what I heard and now that remains my only wish. I do not even seek moksha, though in my present condition to talk of such high principles, people who know me will maybe laugh at my face.

Yes, it is not possible for members of the courtyard to realize the inner workings of our minds. But all the interpretations I liked. Only I received the final verdict from Sri Fhanindra. A question may arise in your mind about Sri Fhanindra. If Swami Bhuteshananda is my Guru, then who is he. I started my spiritual life by regarding Ramana Maharshi as my Guru. Then I was wanting someone in flesh to guide me, being perhaps weak in faith. A holy man of his own initiated me into Vishnu mantra on Devi Navami, Oct 13, 1994. But I was not satisfied. I had already started correspondence with Bhuteshananda ji, thanks to Atmasthananda ji. I had my initiation from Swami Bhuteshananda on Nov 22, 1994. Then in response to a letter written by me, Gurudev blessed me that I may be able to renounce with the blessings of Sri Ramakrishna, in a letter dated April 10, 1995, Brahmananda ji's birthday. Just a few days after that I came across Sri Fhanindra, whom I had casually met earlier as a junior classmate in College, who befriended me and a few days afterwards with light drizzle falling under a Jawab tree next to a Durga temple, told me ours would have been a guru-disciple relationship if we had met earlier but I now accept you as my friend. And even if you turn your face away from me, I will remain the same for you. It took me several years of doubt, etc. to finally come to regard him as by God's grace I am doing now. I regard him as Holy Mother's son just as I regard Bhuteshananda ji as Ramakrishna's son. He is like my mother of eternal times. NOBODY else can have stood my madness and character and remained equally loving from the first day I met him consciously. Two persons or three have recognized him. His mother whom he worships as God in mind. Swami Ijyananda, disciple of Vijnanananda ji (Vivekanada's brother-disciple), who told me before passing away, to cultivate Sri Fhanindra's company as he is a devotee, and Padumbari Baba, who till his passing away reposed full faith in Sri Fhanindra and asked him in general to look after me. When he becomes known among many, it will be time for him to depart, Sri Fhanindra says. I can keep on writing about him but already I have written much. So with thanks to you and to Sri Anthony and others for their kind sentiments, I conclude.

The quotes from Swami ji are really beautiful. I liked the second one more. Sri Fhanindra also advices patience, and holding on to the ideal especially when everything seems totally helpless. That is a test by God.

Regards and Namaskar.

ps. Thanks for your replies. The courtyard really provides holy company.

Replying to:

Namaste Ankur Ji,

Firstly, you wrote: "I really liked Web Admin's analysis also..."

Now you are writing: "He [Sri Fhanindra] remarked that Web Admin's first post didn't tally."

My initial thought, was that you were familiar with that incident of the devotee's striking Mother's toe with his head, from reading "In The Company Of Holy Mother", and this had stuck in your mind, eventually manifesting itself in the dream you described...

Also, is it possible that Sri Fhanindra may have an insight into the secrets of your heart, since he is your guru? How can anyone in Mother's Courtyard
make a connection between lustful thoughts and Mother's kicking you on the head. To do so, would be the height of speculation.

Swami Vivekananda said this about 'dreams':

"All perception is the reaction to action from outside. How, then, do perceptions in dreams arise? There is then no action from outside. The sensory motions, therefore, are coiled up somewhere. For instance, I see a city; the perception of that city is from the reaction to the sensations brought from outside objects comprising that city. That is to say, a certain motion in the brain molecules has been set up by the motion in the incarrying nerves, which again are set in motion by external objects in the city. Now, even after a long time I can remember the city. This memory is exactly the same phenomenon, only it is in a milder form. But whence is the action that sets up even the milder form of similar vibrations in the brain? Not certainly from the primary sensations. Therefore it must be that the sensations are coiled up somewhere, and they, by their acting, bring out the mild reaction which we call dream perception."

-also-

"If a man who is dreaming of this world now dreams of wicked thoughts and wicked deeds, after a certain time the thought of that very dream will produce the next dream. He will dream that he is in a horrible place, being tortured. The man who is dreaming good thoughts and good deeds, after that period of dream is over, will dream he is in a better place; and so on from dream to dream. But the time will come when the whole of this dream will vanish. To everyone of us there must come a time when the whole universe will be found to have been a mere dream, when we shall find that the soul is infinitely better than its surroundings. In this struggle through what we call our environments, there will come a time when we shall find that these environments were almost zero in comparison with the power of the soul. It is only a question of time, and time is nothing in the Infinite. It is a drop in the ocean. We can afford to wait and be calm."

Om Shanthi On
=============

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

Ankur ji,

You are writing about the electricity problems
in your area of Assam. The current is not always
reliable.

Well, we have reliable electrical current in North America, but we don't have the huge Spiritual
Current
, which is prevalent in the Home of Vedanta.

Incidentally, I have in my possession a very fine book, entitled:
"The Assamese"
Religion, Caste and Sect in an Indian Village

[The author's father served for forty years in the State of Assam]
First published 1984
Curzon Press Ltd: London & Dublin
ISBN 0 7007 0149 4

It is fascinating, and I intend to read it again!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

Respected Sir,
Inquisitive to know more about the book. Which village and period of time does it describe. The Assamese were once a proud, simple and home-sick race, rarely venturing outside and with very healthy food habits and closeness to nature. That is no longer the case, especially in the biggest city of Assam, Guwahati, with a population of over a million.
Still, villages, especially those relatively untouched by the new trends of copycat modernity do retain their innocence.
Proximity and overabundance often blind people to the goodness and uniqueness. From far, with your environmental limitations, you are so devoted with faith in the holy trio. They are really unique. We are fortunate to be born at such a time, I feel sometimes.
Regards.

Replying to:

Ankur ji,

You are writing about the electricity problems
in your area of Assam. The current is not always
reliable.

Well, we have reliable electrical current in North America, but we don't have the huge Spiritual
Current
, which is prevalent in the Home of Vedanta.

Incidentally, I have in my possession a very fine book, entitled:
"The Assamese"
Religion, Caste and Sect in an Indian Village

[The author's father served for forty years in the State of Assam]
First published 1984
Curzon Press Ltd: London & Dublin
ISBN 0 7007 0149 4

It is fascinating, and I intend to read it again!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

Ankur Ji,

This a great book. The author is an anthropologist, named, Audrey Cantlie

RE: "Inquisitive to know more about the book. Which village and period of time does it describe."

Here is a quote from the book:

"The first visit was spent almost entirely in the study of one village, here called Panbari during the first four months in 1969.

The second visit, of two and a half months in 1971, was spent partly in Panbari and partly in areas where the Vaishnava reform sects originated and were most active."

Comment: Upon first reading of this book, I came to realize the elborate precautions are indeed a guarantor of survival. It is fascinating to read about such a high level of organization, religious fervour, and everday life of the Assamese village dweller.

I read the book several years ago & plan to re-read it shortly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

Respected SIr,
thank you. The story of the Vaishnava reform movement is fascinating. Sri Sankardeva, who initiated this movement and changed the entire course of Assamese society, is regarded here as an incarnation of Vishnu. He lived for about 125 years and his life story and life work are thrilling, edifying and fascinating. Assamese villages are truly well organized. The people as a whole are not very spiritual, frankly speaking, but are of good faith. Spiritually, the people of Bengal and South India possess greater religious fervour. While the state festival of Bengal is the Durga Puja, ours is the Bihu, connected with renewal of the soil and the harvesting season. I really know little of our own people, for which Sri Fhanindra scolds me. Sankardev had instituted a classical dance form too to give expression to one's feeling for the divine. Sri Fhanindra used to enact the dasavatara, ten avataras of Vishnu through song and facial and hand gestures in his childhood. Even now when he sings borgeet, the spiritual outpourings of Sankardeva and his chief disciple Madavadeva, I feel fascinated and touched. He also used to worship Mother Durga making her image himself as a child and young boy and while some laughed at him, he says he felt Mother came and accepted his worship. Sweetness, gentleness and love is what describes this personality. But I have digressed again!
Regards.

Replying to:

Ankur Ji,

This a great book. The author is an anthropologist, named, Audrey Cantlie

RE: "Inquisitive to know more about the book. Which village and period of time does it describe."

Here is a quote from the book:

"The first visit was spent almost entirely in the study of one village, here called Panbari during the first four months in 1969.

The second visit, of two and a half months in 1971, was spent partly in Panbari and partly in areas where the Vaishnava reform sects originated and were most active."

Comment: Upon first reading of this book, I came to realize the elborate precautions are indeed a guarantor of survival. It is fascinating to read about such a high level of organization, religious fervour, and everday life of the Assamese village dweller.

I read the book several years ago & plan to re-read it shortly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

Dear Ankurji,

RE: "I really know little of our own people, for which Sri Fhanindra scolds me."

One must first thoroughly know the Self, before embarking on the discovery of other entities.

Nahabat Guestbook

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

You are right. However, it is good to know about one's culture, since we are interconnected. And we can learn from it. Sri Fhanindra asked me do you eat betul nut? I replied in the negative. He said once in a while you should try, not for the sake of eating, but so that when you meet some great devotees in the seats of Vaishnava culture established by Sankardeva, i.e. the satras, you don't feel out of place and are able to hold discussions with them while giving them company in chewing betul nut which they do a great amount of the time.
Again knowing the Self, one knows everything else. That is also true. And seek ye first the kingdom of God and everything else shall be added unto you (did I quote correctly?).
Regards.
ps. By the way, Guwahati in Assamese means Betul nut market.

Replying to:

Dear Ankurji,

RE: "I really know little of our own people, for which Sri Fhanindra scolds me."

One must first thoroughly know the Self, before embarking on the discovery of other entities.

Nahabat Guestbook

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

Ankur Ji,

Your mention of betel-leaf reminded me of something I had read
in the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, P. 477:

==========================================
"Master: 'I used to go to Krishnakishore's house. Once, when I was there, he said to me, 'Why do you chew betel-leaf?' I said: 'It is my sweet pleasure. I shall chew betel-leaf, look at my face in the mirror, and dance naked among a thousand girls.'

Krishnakishore's wife scolded him and said, 'What have you said to Ramakrishna? You don't know how to talk to people.'..."

==========================================

I also liked your quote about the 'Kindgom of God'. Very appropriate.

If a person is comfortable and self-assured, without being pompous
or snobbish, then he/she will be able to mix more freely among the
people of any culture. I guess, that I meant 'knowing the self', in
this particular respect, rather than in the context of the
Ultimate Search, leading to God-Realization.

Another excellent quote from Sri Ramakrishna:

==============================================
"Master: 'ONLY two kinds of people can attain self-knowledge : those who
are not encumbered at all with learning, that is to say, whose
minds are not over - crowded with thoughts borrowed from others; and
those who, after studying all the scriptures and sciences,
have come to realise that they know nothing.'..."

===============================================

RE: Sankaradeva

Along with other proponents of Bhakti, like Sri Chaitanya and Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, he certainly belongs to the first rank among the saints and sages of India.

Om Shanthi Om

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream-Addenda

Thank you, respected web admin. I have got print out of your mail and of Sister Rosemary's last mail. I will try to assimilate them over the next few months. Till then, goodbye and love to all.
Be Happy.
Regards,
Ankur

Re: Holy Mother in dream

I am on lunch hour and in a hurry...will print up all replies and give them due thought..till then...

It is my opinion, Ankur, that your guru has got this dream right...there was that missing piece...

still no computer...will try to write more to you later...

Jai Ma!

Ankur,
I once had an older gentleman tell me in a very serious tone to never, never, put myself down. Not many weeks after telling me this, the man died. I took his instruction to heart, and it made a big difference in my life.
Now, I tell this to you. Why are you putting yourself down? Is it neccessary?

Jai Ma

Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Thank you, sister Rosemary. I have been trying in this regard. I will try harder now. It really isn't necessary and is only of use if the sentiment is genuine, from the heart and expressed before the spiritual teacher. I will keep it in mind. Thank you.
Regards,
Ankur
ps. The name of God is so sweet. Whatever name you may take. I was deriving a little joy from it while the computer opened. Have you ever danced in private taking His name. The effect, if you really let go in trust, is refreshing. Like having a bath, more cleansing in fact.

Replying to:

Ankur,
I once had an older gentleman tell me in a very serious tone to never, never, put myself down. Not many weeks after telling me this, the man died. I took his instruction to heart, and it made a big difference in my life.
Now, I tell this to you. Why are you putting yourself down? Is it neccessary?

Jai Ma

Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Regards Ankur,
What nice imagery...dancing and speaking the name of God.!!

You are very lucky to be living in India, where you are surrounded by images of those who have realized God while in the human form. It must help you to keep God fresh on the mind. The US is not like that, tho I love where I live. India is so colorful and the food is so good. I watched the Travel Channel last night and the tour was in India, but it was late and I unfortunately fell asleep

Regards to your Guru also...I understand the "kick" of the dream now.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Thank you, sister Rosemary. I do hope we are all lucky in what matters most to the human soul. Our regards to you all too. The momentary graces one receives provide the impetus to strive on. One may receive graces but difficult to retain them, says Sri Fhanindra. And it is true. Hence he says one must strive on, practice disciplines till the end without minding failures. One day, .....our hope. Anyway there is joy in the struggle and hence however one may waver or badly fall, one tries to get up. the memory of God's sweetness is stronger than all temptations. Thank you again. I shall certainly convey your regards to our Guru.
Ankur

Replying to:

Regards Ankur,
What nice imagery...dancing and speaking the name of God.!!

You are very lucky to be living in India, where you are surrounded by images of those who have realized God while in the human form. It must help you to keep God fresh on the mind. The US is not like that, tho I love where I live. India is so colorful and the food is so good. I watched the Travel Channel last night and the tour was in India, but it was late and I unfortunately fell asleep

Regards to your Guru also...I understand the "kick" of the dream now.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Ankur,
Glad you are back. I was fearful that you had gone away somewhere. This discussion has been important to me.

You are so accurate in your statement about the fleetingness of grace. But, then, perhaps that is only our perception. All is grace, I believe, if we can just see it.

We have forgotten who we are...

My thanks to you and your guru also.

Jai Ma!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear sister Rosemary,

Gurudev phoned today. I conveyed your regards to him. He said, "I too convey my regards (moiu regards jonaisu)".

Yes, we have forgetton ourselves, that is the problem. I like very much the imagery in the Upanishads of two birds sitting on the same tree. One absorbed in the Self, the other eating the fruits, now sweet, now bitter. Eating a particularly bitter fruit, it glances up at the other bird and is impressed by the aura of peace surrounding it and almost involuntarily as if moves a little in its direction. Then it again gets distracted and starts eating the fruit. The process gets repeated and ultimately, the bird comes very near and finding the other bird to be its true Self merges in Him or disappears, the lower self is annihilated.

What Gurudev perhaps meant was our inability to hold on to grace which is always there. Every function of ours requires grace, whether we realize it or not, more so to live the life.

Jai Ma, that is very true. If only Mother is always victorious within us....Mother, be victorious within and without us. Let Guru's will be done, let mother's will be done.

Life is not easy, I seem to be playing on the surface with little or no depth. Hence, I was thinking not to write. Told Gurudev. He inquired, why? I did reply, but it is nice to come in contact with the members of the courtyard. Not only is some time spent fruitfully, but I gain in sharing and learn.

Swami Vivekananda once told (not exact quotation, from long ago memory only) that whatever good was in him or expressed through him belonged to Ramakrishna and what was bad belonged to him and him only. I will be talking big if I say the same, but yes, I sometimes feel and it is helpful too for me, that anything good in me belongs to God as Guru and whatever bad is there and somehow that seems to be legions, is mine and my own. Sri Fhanindra once asked me, suppose Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswara (the Hindu trinity) were to appear before you, would you like their company or the company of the sages. I preferred the company of the sages, the Rishis who are the embodiment in human garb as it were of the Holy Spirit, the shakti of God.

Thank you once again.

Regards.

Replying to:

Ankur,
Glad you are back. I was fearful that you had gone away somewhere. This discussion has been important to me.

You are so accurate in your statement about the fleetingness of grace. But, then, perhaps that is only our perception. All is grace, I believe, if we can just see it.

Jai Ma!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

All is grace, I believe, if we can just see it.

Sister Rosemary,

I reread your post. And the above quote from your post struck me differently. Yes, all is grace, if we can just see it. How beautiful! In the Gita, Sri Krishna says, "Knowing Me as the suhrit, friend of all beings, a mortal attains peace (Suhrit sarva bhutanam gyatva mam santim reachati - spelling might be wrong)." This is one of my favorite slokas from the Gita. All is grace. One can truly meditate on this. Grace which we call kripa in our language is the pity of God. Realizing it is humbling, peace-giving and soothing. It gives balance to life.

Just shared some thoughts running through my brain. The shanti sloka of the Upanishads is another worthwhile. Peace be on heaven, peace be on Earth, peace be with all beings, peace be with vegetation, peace on air, peace on water, everywhere peace. OM, Peace, Peace, Peace.

All my quotations are based on memory only. I have the texts at home but I am not yet back home from work. I am at an internet cafe, as till I left home today, our internet connection was not working.

Regards.

Replying to:

Dear sister Rosemary,

Gurudev phoned today. I conveyed your regards to him. He said, "I too convey my regards (moiu regards jonaisu)".

Yes, we have forgetton ourselves, that is the problem. I like very much the imagery in the Upanishads of two birds sitting on the same tree. One absorbed in the Self, the other eating the fruits, now sweet, now bitter. Eating a particularly bitter fruit, it glances up at the other bird and is impressed by the aura of peace surrounding it and almost involuntarily as if moves a little in its direction. Then it again gets distracted and starts eating the fruit. The process gets repeated and ultimately, the bird comes very near and finding the other bird to be its true Self merges in Him or disappears, the lower self is annihilated.

What Gurudev perhaps meant was our inability to hold on to grace which is always there. Every function of ours requires grace, whether we realize it or not, more so to live the life.

Jai Ma, that is very true. If only Mother is always victorious within us....Mother, be victorious within and without us. Let Guru's will be done, let mother's will be done.

Life is not easy, I seem to be playing on the surface with little or no depth. Hence, I was thinking not to write. Told Gurudev. He inquired, why? I did reply, but it is nice to come in contact with the members of the courtyard. Not only is some time spent fruitfully, but I gain in sharing and learn.

Swami Vivekananda once told (not exact quotation, from long ago memory only) that whatever good was in him or expressed through him belonged to Ramakrishna and what was bad belonged to him and him only. I will be talking big if I say the same, but yes, I sometimes feel and it is helpful too for me, that anything good in me belongs to God as Guru and whatever bad is there and somehow that seems to be legions, is mine and my own. Sri Fhanindra once asked me, suppose Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswara (the Hindu trinity) were to appear before you, would you like their company or the company of the sages. I preferred the company of the sages, the Rishis who are the embodiment in human garb as it were of the Holy Spirit, the shakti of God.

Thank you once again.

Regards.

Replying to:

Ankur,

Jai Ma!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Ankur Ji,
Thank you for the beautiful quotes and imagery. I find it very profound.

I have found a quote of Shakespeare's to be very near to what we are talking about.

“The quality of mercy is not strained; It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed- It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes."

Hope you can see the relation...

If we could just be still...

My dream about Mother has been written here before.
It was before I knew who Mother was...I was feeling anxiety about my son (I always feel anxiety for my sons)...and a woman wearing a sari came into my dreams. She was sweeping a hut and she looked at me deeply and told me "Your boy will be allright." Very reassuring dream. I later read on the internet that Mother (Sri Sarada Devi) was often seen with a broom in her hand. I interpreted this as a revelation....

Jai Ma!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Hi sister Rosemary,

I really like your dream of Holy Mother.

Of course, "Holy Mother lived outwardly like a householder. While at Jayrambati she preoccupied herself with household duties, preparing vegetables, cooking, sweeping the house and the courtyard, washing clothes and dishes, kneading dough, worshipping in the shrine, and with infinite patience and compassion looking sfter the comfort and welfare of her relatives and visiting disciples." Excerpted from "In The Company of The Holy Mother" Page 25

I remember reading once, that one of your sons is serving with the US Armed Forces in Afghanistan.

Here is a verse of a song, written by Hank Williams and Pee Wee King in 1944:

I am praying for the day
That the whole world can say
That this terrible war 1s o'er,
And the boys who are gone
Will start their long journey home
O, I'm praying for the day that peace will come

[Note: of course, these days, it would be 'boys and girls' who are gone.]

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Sister Rosemary,
thank you for sharing with us your dream about Mother. I felt happy to read about it. And Web administrators' reply also. His replies are always nice and I get to know new things. Hope your sons are with you safely and you don't need to worry about them any more than every mother somehow does for her offsprings. Your dream reminded me about something about mother that I read. A devotee sufFering from one of the passions very much went to Mother and told her his woes. Mother did not reply anything but gazed at him intently. Then the devotee went to Master Mahashaya or 'M'(the compiler of the gospel of Sri Ramakrishna) and began telling him his woes when 'M' interrupted and told him, "Didn't Mother gaze at you intently." The devotee affirmed. Then 'M' said, "You need have no more worry." No connection with your dream as such but just remembered, hence shared. I hope Web Admin will correct me where I go wrong. I quote, as I said before, from memory only. Our home internet is still not okay. It makes one happy to learn how mother reveals herself to her children. And yes, you wrote mother, instead of Holy Mother. Very nice. Sometimes I say mother spontaneously, then something intervenes and I use honorifics with mother thinking it not proper. Very nice when these rare occasions come. Mostly in Sri Fhanindra's company. I was thinking about asking you about your impressions of your dream. If you feel like, only then, do write. Sri Fhanindra today shifted to his new home. He said on phone yesterday, as the fittings were being done to the house, he was talking with the Lord. (The house owners could not take the Shiva linga they had established in the shrineroom with them. It is very living, said Sri Fhanindra.) He felt as if the Lord was telling Him, "What took you so long (to come)?" As if He was waiting for him with eagerness so that he might do japa before Him in the shrine and light a lamp there with His hands. He felt that as if he was always living there and he will continue to do so. Didn't feel a newcomer.
Regards,
Ankur
ps. It is now 8.50 p.m. in the night here in India. Tomorrow I will visit Sri Fhanindra at his new home. Thinking a fresh chapter in the lesson of life is going to be turned. Let's see what lessons it holds.

THE QUALITY OF MERCY IS TWICE BLESSED INDEED. Something like that perhaps Jesus said. To forgive the debts of our brethren so that He does not hold our debts against us.

The moments of stillness remain imbedded in our memory for we are then in touch with our souls.

Replying to:

Ankur Ji,
Thank you for the beautiful quotes and imagery. I find it very profound.

I have found a quote of Shakespeare's to be very near to what we are talking about.

“The quality of mercy is not strained; It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed- It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes."

Hope you can see the relation...

If we could just be still...

My dream about Mother has been written here before.
It was before I knew who Mother was...I was feeling anxiety about my son (I always feel anxiety for my sons)...and a woman wearing a sari came into my dreams. She was sweeping a hut and she looked at me deeply and told me "Your boy will be allright." Very reassuring dream. I later read on the internet that Mother (Sri Sarada Devi) was often seen with a broom in her hand. I interpreted this as a revelation....

Jai Ma!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Ankur Ji,

RE: "I hope Web Admin will correct me where I go wrong. I quote, as I said before, from memory only."

Comment: In most cases, exact quotes are unnecessary,
as long as we can convey the actual purport of the idea; which, I might add, you seem to do very well.

Please extend my best wishes to Sri Fhanindra, in his new dwelling.

RE: Electricity in Guwahati

Here is an item from April 2005:

"The Chief Minister of Assam, Shri Tarun Gogoi speaking through video conferencing from Guwahati, said that his government was committed to provide electricity to every rural household, by which villages would prosper, which would lead to prosperity of the State and the country."

Further comment:

This seems to be an ambitious project indeed. One would think that
they should first ensure reliable electrical power in the largest
city of Assam, before committing themselves to provide electricity to
every rural household. Just my humble opinion, of course :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Respected Web Admin,
thank you.
With all respect to our Chief Minister, Tarun Gogoi, who has been re-elected chief whip of the State Administration for another five years this year, he appears to talk big but deliver little. We, in Assam, are amused at his promises. For quite many days, Guwahati was suffering from previously announced 5 hours power cut daily, the unofficial power cuts extra. Many times, there is power, but little voltage, so that an computer with basic UPS cannot run. The people of Assam are also a lazy or accepting lot (myself included of course). In states like West Bengal, they would have protested heartily and some little change would have been brought about at least. Naturally endowed with ample resources, we have not been able to make use of the same. The river Brahmaputra is perhaps one among the most voluminous rivers of the world. Starting from China, it moves through Arunachal, Assam, Bangladesh and falls into the Bay of Bengal. Incidentally, it is among the few male rivers in India. Rivers here are regarded as sort of diety. Especially the Ganga and some other rivers, whose name are taken daily in our Sandhyaupasana or thrice daily worship as prescribed by the scriptures. Brahmaputra is regarded as a son of the creator, Brahma. It contains the huge riverine island Majuli, the seat of Vaishnava culture in Assam. And there is the Parashuram Kunda, where Sage Parashuram was freed from the sin of killing his mother. However, later near Guwahati, the Brahmaputra earned a curse from the sage for disobeying his orders to stay put while he had darshan of the Goddess Kamakhya, still an awakened diety in Assam and the guardian diety of Guwahati. Sri Fhanindra once remarked in passing, "Look, the banks of the Brahmaputra bear some desolate look, not as bright as other rivers, because of the curse." Sorry, I have digressed. Ancient mythology is fascinating and the Hindus believe in it. It holds morals through stories.

I will extend your best wishes to Sri Fhanindra when I visit him today. I am working at home today. Our telephone connection seems to be restored.

Regards.

Ps. There is a book "Red Rivers and Blue Hills." It is very nice. I will tell the name of the author (prob Hem Baruah) later. It is a fascinating collection of essays about Assam.

Replying to:

Dear Ankur Ji,

RE: "I hope Web Admin will correct me where I go wrong. I quote, as I said before, from memory only."

Comment: In most cases, exact quotes are unnecessary,
as long as we can convey the actual purport of the idea; which, I might add, you seem to do very well.

Please extend my best wishes to Sri Fhanindra, in his new dwelling.

RE: Electricity in Guwahati

Here is an item from April 2005:

"The Chief Minister of Assam, Shri Tarun Gogoi speaking through video conferencing from Guwahati, said that his government was committed to provide electricity to every rural household, by which villages would prosper, which would lead to prosperity of the State and the country."

Further comment:

This seems to be an ambitious project indeed. One would think that
they should first ensure reliable electrical power in the largest
city of Assam, before committing themselves to provide electricity to
every rural household. Just my humble opinion, of course :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

RE: Brahmaputra

What can I say? Just the word alone inspires awe.

"The son of Brahma"

One of the great rivers of Mother India.

Love,

Nahabat Web Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Namaste to my dear friends and fellow devotees....

Thank you,indeed, to both Web Admin and to Ankur...

Web Admin, my son is safely home from Afghanistan, but there are always dangers here that are lurking and keep me worried...however... I will keep Ankur's reminder...(the story about Mother's gaze that "M" spoke of) in my heart and try to believe that Mother has put her gaze upon me.

Ankur, my impression of my dream was of direct communication...no symbolism or feeling...just a directness...

I had a dream which I would like help interpreting...

During that initial period of discovering that I had cancer, I dreamt of long, silver round earings in my ears...In one ear-ring was a picture of Ramana Maharshi...the other ear-ring
had a void where a picture should have been...

Any ideas???

Thanks to my friends here for the wonderful discussions....I am still without a computer also...but trying to await it patiently from E Bay.

Dear Sister Rosemary,

You wrote:

"Web Admin, my son is safely home from Afghanistan, but there are always dangers here that are lurking and keep me worried."

Comment: I am so happy that your son is safely home. As a parent
myself, I know that were are in a constant state of worry, for
the spiritual and physical well-being of our offspring. That is
only natural. The Good Lord has instilled these impulses in us.

However, my mind turns to the words of a great American president,
named Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who said: "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." Personally, I think we will find great wisdom and perception
in those words. We were so fortunate, that Lord Vishnu incarnated Himself as FDR, a fitting receptacle for the God of Preservation, during the crisis years of the Great Depression and World War II.

Om Shanthi Om
=============

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."
Respected Web Admin,
thanks for the quote. One of the message of the Himalayan sages according to Swami Rama (htttp://www.geocities.com/swamiramabio) is freedom from fear. At the same time, Holy Mother advices, "A little fear brings victory, my son." I interpret it this way. We should not fear our fellow men but should be a little diffident about our own abilities, and before God. A little fear of God (in a devotee, which I am yet to become as I understand the term, it is all love) and about our prospects of success is healthy. Too much of fear, as of everything else, is of course bad. With regard to worry about one's offspring, how beautifully you have said that the Lord has instilled this impulse in us. The parents are like God for the children, yet the parents are mortal till of course they step out of the stream in Krishnamurti's words (thoughts were coming to me in this regard yesterday) and become the Self. Hence, the worry. I, of course, am unmarried and so cannot understand fully about parents' condition other than my observations and Sri Fhanindra's remarks in this respect. He understands the beat of every heart and in some cases have refereed to others as His offsprings.
Regards.

Replying to:

Dear Sister Rosemary,

You wrote:

"Web Admin, my son is safely home from Afghanistan, but there are always dangers here that are lurking and keep me worried."

Comment: I am so happy that your son is safely home. As a parent
myself, I know that were are in a constant state of worry, for
the spiritual and physical well-being of our offspring. That is
only natural. The Good Lord has instilled these impulses in us.

However, my mind turns to the words of a great American president,
named Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who said: "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." Personally, I think we will find great wisdom and perception
in those words. We were so fortunate, that Lord Vishnu incarnated Himself as FDR, a fitting receptacle for the God of Preservation, during the crisis years of the Great Depression and World War II.

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Dear Sister Rosemary,
glad to receive your posting with the news of your son being back home in the States.
With regards to your first dream, I think I understand.
I have taken a printout and God permitting will discuss with Sri Fhanindra about your second dream.
I do hope your cancer is better and you are on the path of complete recovery or better still, have got over it. Please do not mind my asking.
I personally am a diseased individual, diseased ego (not putting myself down), and some mental malady according to the doctors. Have been taking drugs for that for the past more than 6 years. Schizophrenia, perhaps. Or bipolar mania, don't know. Will someday ask the doctor treating me. Well, deep inside I feel it is just some karmic debts to be repaid. Once that is done, the symptoms of disease will disappear. Again, it may be a life-long affliction. Will then try more completely to live with it.
Regards.

Replying to:

Namaste to my dear friends and fellow devotees....

Thank you,indeed, to both Web Admin and to Ankur...

Web Admin, my son is safely home from Afghanistan, but there are always dangers here that are lurking and keep me worried...however... I will keep Ankur's reminder...(the story about Mother's gaze that "M" spoke of) in my heart and try to believe that Mother has put her gaze upon me.

Ankur, my impression of my dream was of direct communication...no symbolism or feeling...just a directness...

I had a dream which I would like help interpreting...

During that initial period of discovering that I had cancer, I dreamt of long, silver round earings in my ears...In one ear-ring was a picture of Ramana Maharshi...the other ear-ring
had a void where a picture should have been...

Any ideas???

Thanks to my friends here for the wonderful discussions....I am still without a computer also...but trying to await it patiently from E Bay.

Dear Brother Ankur,
I can tell the difference when you are being honest and when you are putting your self down.
It is a totally different vibe...
Thank you for your honesty and sharing your comments...I can tell that you are a very deep thinker...
Especially thank you for reminding me of the power of Mother's glance. That was a part of my dream that had escaped me...Also, for the gentle reminder (perhaps a Western fault) that one should be more reverent when addressing the name of Holy Mother..this had escaped me also...

I do not know what to say about fear. Holy Mother seemed to realize that there are dangers in the world...
Remember her encounter with the dacoit on the road
(where was she going?)...and of course, she turned that situation around...I know that fear, at times, can be an impetus for higher virtues (Or am I just rambling?) I know that peace and fear cannot co-exist...

Thanks to you all for listening to me...May Holy Mother bless us all and bring us peace...

Jai Ma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Sister Rosemary,

Thank you for the kind post of yours.

I had just typed a long reply when electricity went and with it went my outpourings! So I have to type again, differently.

Yesterday went to Sri Fhanindra’s new dwelling. It is at a little height and the atmosphere is village type. Excellent for meditation and study. Spent a few hours there. As I was not keeping well, stomach trouble and all, he fed me black berries. The Assamese are very good at treating various ailments with greens, vegetables and fruits, which often grow wild. I showed Sri Fhanindra the two posts of yours dealing with your dreams. He remarked “There are some spiritual persons in those lands too.” He said he would think over the dream and reply. Due to my ill health, I was not completely at ease, when the thought came to me, I have reached my destination, am with Mother, and my glance fell on a writing ,”In Devotion is Strength.”

Sister Rosemary, I feel you perhaps got me wrong over addressing the Holy Mother. True, reverence gives rise to strength. But isn’t it sweet to address Holy Mother as Mother only. To feel She is our own Mother. How reassuring that feeling is. And peace-giving too. So, I was only appreciating your mode of address. Mother Herself says that one realizes God in proportion to the intensity of one’s feeling for Him and that He is our own. You would be surprised at how intimately Sri Fhanindra addresses the Holy Mother whom he worships as Durga. He sometimes uses the term, “tai”, which in Assamese is a most intimate word of addressing females, esp. younger than oneself! But then it is all out of the deepest love and as Padumbari baba (the saint from Padumbari) had remarked on first seeing Sri Fhanindra, “This person knows nothing but the Divine Mother’s Feet.” The Divine Mother’s feet (charan) are the embodiment of all knowledge.

Holy Mother was going to Dakshineswar to meet Sri Ramakrishna about whom there were rumours in her village that He had gone mad!

Fear can be an impetus for higher virtues, as you remarked. I remember once approaching Swami Ijyananda here at the Guwahati Ashram when an undercurrent of bad thought crossed my mind. Suddenly a brahmachari obstructed my way and said, “You go to him afterwards.” This doesn’t happen generally. Still, I did not fully heed the warning, but took a step in his direction when a current of fear shot through me. I desisted. It added ultimately to my reverence of the Swami. Another time, just after my Guru Bhuteshananda ji had passed away, I was glancing through a commemorative volume when my glance fell on a picture of Swami Bhuteshananda in Samadhi at Vishwanath temple, Varanashi, some years before he had passed away. And a current of fear coursed through me. I told this to Sri Fhanindra. He remarked in appreciation, “That you could feel it”. Perhaps because the Holy Mother, who is Shakti or Power comes during the deep meditation of saints, such a reverential fear arises at first glance. Remember the story of Holy Mother’s childhood. During Jagaddhatri puja at her village home, she, then a young girl, was meditating when an elderly uncle left the place in fear unable to distinguish who was the deity, little Sarada meditating or the image of the Goddess!

Peace and fear cannot co-exist. True. In peace there is no thought of the little self separating us from each other from humanity. In the absence of the little self, there is peace and no fear can exist then.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to share my thoughts. Gives me an impetus. Renews the faith.

Regards.

(The phone connection has gone again. So no internet. Play of Sri Ramakrishna. Fun. So can send this mail afterwards only. // Guwahati, Bhaskarnagar, 12.6.06 (Monday), 3.31 p.m.)

p.s. A poem by Swami Ji that I liked.

ANGELS UNAWARES

III

One born with healthy frame—but not of will
That can resist emotions deep and strong,
Nor impulse throw, surcharged with potent strength—
And just the sort that pass as good and kind,
Beheld that he was safe, whilst others long
And vain did struggle ’gainst the surging waves.
Till, morbid grown, his mind could see, like flies
That seek the putrid part, but what was bad,
Then Fortune smiled on him, and his foot slipped.
That ope’d his eyes for e’er, and made him find
That stones and trees ne’er break the law,
But stones and trees remain; that man alone
Is blest with power to fight and conquer Fate,
Transcending bounds and laws.
From him his passive nature fell, and life appeared
As broad and new, and broader, newer grew,
Till light ahead began to break, and glimpse of That
Where Peace Eternal dwells—yet one can only reach
By wading through the sea of struggles—courage-giving, came.
Then looking back on all that made him kin
To stocks and stones, and on to what the world
Had shunned him for, his fall, he blessed the fall,
And with a joyful heart, declared it—
“Blessed Sin!”

 Swami Vivekananda.

Replying to:

Dear Brother Ankur,
I can tell the difference when you are being honest and when you are putting your self down.
It is a totally different vibe...
Thank you for your honesty and sharing your comments...I can tell that you are a very deep thinker...
Especially thank you for reminding me of the power of Mother's glance. That was a part of my dream that had escaped me...Also, for the gentle reminder (perhaps a Western fault) that one should be more reverent when addressing the name of Holy Mother..this had escaped me also...

I do not know what to say about fear. Holy Mother seemed to realize that there are dangers in the world...
Remember her encounter with the dacoit on the road
(where was she going?)...and of course, she turned that situation around...I know that fear, at times, can be an impetus for higher virtues (Or am I just rambling?) I know that peace and fear cannot co-exist...

Thanks to you all for listening to me...May Holy Mother bless us all and bring us peace...

Jai Ma

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Brother Ankur,
Thank you so much for your kind answering thoughts...(don't you hate it when the electicity goes out?)...Thank you also for troubling Sri Fhanindra (sp?) with my dreams. I am very interested in what he has to say...

I want to do the right thing, so if I am addressing Sri Sarada Devi in the wrong way, then, I want to correct that. I need teaching. In a personal way, when I feel anxiety over the smallest thing, I find myself just saying the name, "Mother" and the anxiety seems to lessen...

I'm glad Sri Fhanindra (sp) has gotten his move and hope that he is comfortable. I am very much interested in natures' cures and wonder if the blackberries helped?

Spiritual lessons seem to pop up from nowhere, do they not? I was looking at a beautiful full moon two between the branches of a tree in my yard and I was thinking that there was some spiritual significance..then last night I was reading Sri Sai Sacharita when there was a discourse of the taking of darshan of the moon between the branches of a tree..

Really enjoy talking with you. Hope your stomach trouble is better and am very glad that Sri Fhanindra has answers for the questions that come to you.

Jai Ma!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Sister Rosemary,
it is a pleasure to receive postings from all of you, hence though I keep promising myself I will not write anymore, I do so again!
The blackberries did help. Though I needed rest yesterday, my stomach is back to normal and I cycled several kilometres or miles today. Sri Fhanindra also recommended sugarcane juice which I took today.
I seem to have created confusion over the matter of addressing the Holy Mother. She is your own mother. Please address her as you please. That itself will be dear and acceptable to her.
The Sri Sai Satcharita is a treasure. Indeed Shirdhi Sai Baba is one of the saints of India I especially revere. My mother also reveres him and there are big pictures of him at our dwelling. Mother tells me that when I was one-year old, a sadhu came from North India and giving mother a locket of Shirdhi Sai Baba told her to put it around my neck for life. That hasn't happened, but I keep a photo of his in my purse and we have also visited Shirdhi. Liked it very much. The t.v. here is presently showing a serial on his life. When I first showed Sri Fhanindra his photo, he remarked, "exudes peace" and later, "a very satvika person. Of a different plane altogether."
Sri Fhanindra is comfortable in his dwelling. He seems to feel as if he had been living there from before. I have conveyed Web Admin's best wishes to him. A strange thought came to me yesterday. I was lying and intermittently praying, when as if somebody said, "Each being is the embodiment of a particular beneficient diety. Who knows that may be of the Guru?" With regards to Sri Fhanindra having answers to my questions, I read a beautiful story in a book that I bought today:
There is a story from the life of St. Francis of Assisi, in Italy. An old, nearly blind beggarwoman asked him for alms. She couldn't see that he was dressed as poorly as she, and was not likely to have anything to give her. It distressed him, however, that he had nothing to give her. And then he realized that he still had one thing in his possession: his well-thumbed copy of the Holy Bible. This he gave to her, in the hope that she might be able to sell it for a few coins.
He then prayed almost apologetically, "Lord, in helping this poor old woman I have even given away Your word!"
A voice within him replied, "Francis, I have placed my word in your heart. You have no need for that merely printed copy of it."
FROM
The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita-explained by Paramhansa Yogananda, as remembered by his disciple Swami Kriyananda (J. Donald Walters). The Swami is an American now based in India.

Regards.

Replying to:

Dear Brother Ankur,
Thank you so much for your kind answering thoughts...(don't you hate it when the electicity goes out?)...Thank you also for troubling Sri Fhanindra (sp?) with my dreams. I am very interested in what he has to say...

I want to do the right thing, so if I am addressing Sri Sarada Devi in the wrong way, then, I want to correct that. I need teaching. In a personal way, when I feel anxiety over the smallest thing, I find myself just saying the name, "Mother" and the anxiety seems to lessen...

I'm glad Sri Fhanindra (sp) has gotten his move and hope that he is comfortable. I am very much interested in natures' cures and wonder if the blackberries helped?

Spiritual lessons seem to pop up from nowhere, do they not? I was looking at a beautiful full moon two between the branches of a tree in my yard and I was thinking that there was some spiritual significance..then last night I was reading Sri Sai Sacharita when there was a discourse of the taking of darshan of the moon between the branches of a tree..

Really enjoy talking with you. Hope your stomach trouble is better and am very glad that Sri Fhanindra has answers for the questions that come to you.

Jai Ma!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Brother Ankur,
What a delight your posts are!!

I felt no criticism in your remarks about how I addressed Holy Mother. Your remark merely made me think about why you even noticed. I wondered (because I am Western) if I might be too casual...However, I do not in any way believe that I have been irreverent...never intended that!!!I understood that you were being complimentary in your remarks..and thank you for that. If Mother were here, I believe that it would be "Mother" that I would call her...that is what I imagine in my mind.

Since I have had my cancer, the names of certain herbs and foods have called out in my dreams. One that I remember was "Pure sugar cane" ...just those words, like that... I have not followed up on sugar cane, but I have on the other callings....maybe I should listen to myself more closely!!???

....."A strange thought came to me yesterday. I was lying and intermittently praying, when as if somebody said, "Each being is the embodiment of a particular beneficient diety...."

There is VERY MUCH in what you are saying here....I have had the same "strange thought"...

My regards to Sri Fhanindra...

and thank you, dear Brother.

Jai Ma!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Sister Rosemary,
thank you for your post which I accessed just some time back.
Yes, we do sometimes get good guidance from our Self. Sri Fhanindra respects that guidance very much.
Your posts have given me joy.
I may be called by Sri Fhanindra this Saturday. Then, God willing, we will discuss your dream. I was thinking let me get an answer from him then I will write. I also plan to discuss that thought.
Today has been a relatively good day.
Thank you once again.
Ankur

Replying to:

Dear Brother Ankur,
What a delight your posts are!!

I felt no criticism in your remarks about how I addressed Holy Mother. Your remark merely made me think about why you even noticed. I wondered (because I am Western) if I might be too casual...However, I do not in any way believe that I have been irreverent...never intended that!!!I understood that you were being complimentary in your remarks..and thank you for that. If Mother were here, I believe that it would be "Mother" that I would call her...that is what I imagine in my mind.

Since I have had my cancer, the names of certain herbs and foods have called out in my dreams. One that I remember was "Pure sugar cane" ...just those words, like that... I have not followed up on sugar cane, but I have on the other callings....maybe I should listen to myself more closely!!???

....."A strange thought came to me yesterday. I was lying and intermittently praying, when as if somebody said, "Each being is the embodiment of a particular beneficient diety...."

There is VERY MUCH in what you are saying here....I have had the same "strange thought"...

My regards to Sri Fhanindra...

and thank you, dear Brother.

Jai Ma!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Namaste Ankur JI,

I am happy that you have overcome your stomach ailment. These things can be
very trying.

You related a delightful story from the life of St. Francis of Assisi, which I enjoyed very much.

My brother-in-law is a Fransiscan Priest stationed in Goa. He was in Madya Pradesh [Raipur] for a period of time, but now is stationed in Goa [Karnataka], where he works as the head of a parish. He is 69 years old, but looks very young, without a grey hair on his head.

As you know, the Fransiscans have adopted the vow of poverty, in memory of their patron saint, St. Francis of Assisi.

When I was a child, growing up in Montreal, I would sometimes see a Fransiscan monk, standing and waiting for the bus. People would come and offer money to him. He would not touch the money, but rather would open the purse which he wore attached around his waist, and allow them to drop the coins within.

Of course, he could never use that money to travel on the bus, since he is obliged to return the purse intact to his superior. My father explained to me, that one must place a bus ticket into his hand...only then could he board the vehicle....otherwise he may have to stand for hours, until some kind soul presents him with a ticket.

I found a very nice painting of Shirdhi Sai Baba Here

Incidentally, my favorite incense is Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa Sandalwood from Mysore. The singer / songwriter Bob Dylan burns Nag Champa throughout his concerts.

Have a nice day,

Nahabat Web Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Respected Web admin,
it was really nice to read your post. Really is great to stick to even one vow in life. I feel then all vows are adhered to automatically like bowing to one's chosen diety, all dieties receive one's reverence. The men of God seem to look younger than they are perhaps because they adhere to His laws. The few saints I have met in life so far appeared decades younger than their physical age. As Krishna promises in the Gita, for those who depend on Him, surrender to Him, He will preserve what they have and Himself carry to them what they need. The painting of Shirdhi Sai Baba is really nice and mother also liked it. I used to listen to Bob Dylan's recordings many years ago on Radio. Liked them.
Thank you.
Ankur

Replying to:

Namaste Ankur JI,

I am happy that you have overcome your stomach ailment. These things can be
very trying.

You related a delightful story from the life of St. Francis of Assisi, which I enjoyed very much.

My brother-in-law is a Fransiscan Priest stationed in Goa. He was in Madya Pradesh [Raipur] for a period of time, but now is stationed in Goa [Karnataka], where he works as the head of a parish. He is 69 years old, but looks very young, without a grey hair on his head.

As you know, the Fransiscans have adopted the vow of poverty, in memory of their patron saint, St. Francis of Assisi.

When I was a child, growing up in Montreal, I would sometimes see a Fransiscan monk, standing and waiting for the bus. People would come and offer money to him. He would not touch the money, but rather would open the purse which he wore attached around his waist, and allow them to drop the coins within.

Of course, he could never use that money to travel on the bus, since he is obliged to return the purse intact to his superior. My father explained to me, that one must place a bus ticket into his hand...only then could he board the vehicle....otherwise he may have to stand for hours, until some kind soul presents him with a ticket.

I found a very nice painting of Shirdhi Sai Baba Here

Incidentally, my favorite incense is Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa Sandalwood from Mysore. The singer / songwriter Bob Dylan burns Nag Champa throughout his concerts.

Have a nice day,

Nahabat Web Admin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Ankur ji,

You wrote: "The few saints I have met in life so far appeared decades younger than their physical age."

Comment: Of course, living a life of 'non-attachment' [renunciation], relying upom God, rather than upon the [small] self, will result in less stress and worry, which translates itself into a youthful demeanour.

Om Shanthi Om

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Respected Web Admin,
You have put it nicely. By the way, you may be knowing that the first Guru in the Shaivite tradition was Lord Dakshinamurti Shiva or south-facing Shiva, whose appearance is that of a beautiful young boy, who teaches his disciples, the first-born four sons of Lord Brahma, Sanat, Sanatan, etc., who are depicted as old sages with matted hair, in silence with his hands in Jnana mudra or the mudra of wisdom. Sri Fhanindra also looks very young and one of his qualities is that even if somebody by chance gets angry with him, on coming face-to-face with him, seeing his face, all anger evaporates. Sri Fhanindra attributes it to the Divine Mother, his chosen ideal Durga whose characteristic is to love all equally. Yet, I have also found evidence of what the scriptures say of sages, "Harder than the thunderbolt, softer than the flower." In matters of principle, he is very strict and though very slow to take offence, if riled, is unforgiving. At the same time, he himself said, "it doesn't take me long to melt."
Sorry, I wrote unrelated thoughts. But my conception of sages and saints changed drastically since I met Sri Fhanindra. They are also human beings, feeling joy and sorrow much more acutely than the rest of humanity. They have their moods, their quirkness of character which we all possess. They also feel angry. What differentiates them from us at our present stage of evolution is their TOTAL reliance on the Divine, and their constant meditation on Him. So that whatever they do turns by His grace for the good of the many, for the welfare of the many. And trials and tribulations don't crush them for He is with them and they become a channel for His peace and mercy. How much they toil, superhuman it seems, and their only delight is in Him. Perhaps the greatest blessing is to be in mental communion with such saints. Mere physical proximity doesn't achieve much. You must meet them with your own consciousness heightened and according to your receptacle, you will receive their grace.
Thanks and regards.

Replying to:

Dear Ankur ji,

You wrote: "The few saints I have met in life so far appeared decades younger than their physical age."

Comment: Of course, living a life of 'non-attachment' [renunciation], relying upom God, rather than upon the [small] self, will result in less stress and worry, which translates itself into a youthful demeanour.

Om Shanthi Om

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Ankur ji,

You wrote: "My conception of sages and saints changed drastically since I met Sri Fhanindra. They are also human beings, feeling joy and sorrow much more acutely than the rest of humanity."

Comment: Yes, so very true. Saints are indeed human beings, and, although
blessed with a special relationship with the divine, are subject to
the same fluctuations in mood, physical and mental distress, etc., as all of us.

Their senses and perceptions, being so finely tuned, are much sharper than the average person's, and they therefore feel more acutely, both positive and negative vibrations, generated by contact with other entities.

Om Shanthi Om
==============

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in d

Thank you,
respected web admin. Given these conditions, their love and compassion is all the more extraordinary. Perhaps meditating on God, they are endowed with God's attributes.
Regards,
Ankur

Dear All,
found the below on the net searching for Swami Rama. It is a poem by his disciple Swami Veda Bharati. Thought would share.
Regards.

I live in a cave, a spacious grotto with many exits of diverse contours,
many colored beams of lights
pouring in, radiating out,
a thread of life to and fro.
My cave in a mountain, volcanic, shaking,
quiet restful for long moments,
and again suddenly quaking.
this my cave looks out
to roads, to paths and valleys, to other mountains,
to sailing clouds and lightning rows.
I sit and watch many a procession,
shouting hilariously, mourning silently,
curious, halting to peep in at me
or indifferent passing
while evenings diminish
or mornings grow.
Warm is the fire I have kindled
and fed with life-fuel;
ashen, asleep I blow away.
Stirred awake
the embers glow
Flickering footwork, dancing shadows,
grotesque paintings, darkness mixed
with outer lights and alien rainbows.
Afeared so, I quit this fire,
rushing to my river of depths,
silent waters flowing to quench
bursting flaming thirst-volcanoes.
Safely tucked in mountain's womb,
cool, collected, smiling, poised
I take a dip of withdrawal
to my subterranean river.
While abroad, the world's procession
lost, wearied, whither-so-ever goes!

There are subterranean rivers within you at a certain place in this cave, in this residence of yours. At the outer halls of the cave, the psychic levels, you have inner darkness conflicting with outer lights and outer darkness mingling with inner lights, as well as all kinds of shades and shadows and fantasies and fears. But going deeper, you get to the subtler place in you, the subterranean river of energy and life. There you learn to be neutral to those parts of your body about which you can do nothing, for there are other sources of happiness for the mind.

Find those sources of happiness, create that happiness and you will find that there is more energy in you, there is more life in you, there is more creativity in you, there are greater sources of fulfillment in you than you have thought possible. The yogis will keep saying this again and again and again. But people listen and they go out of the lecture hall and forget. Do not forget. That's all.

Replying to:

Will someone interpret for me this dream. Just keen to know your thoughts. It is about the Holy Mother and the only dream about her that I remember almost clearly, more than a decade down memory lane.

I dreamt that I was standing and Holy Mother came sailing in reverse through the air out of her(shrine?) and kicked me on my forehead. Accursed destiny or blessed touch? Or both. A redemption through suffering!

Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

What a discriptive poem! Thanks, Ankur!

Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

So glad you liked it.
Thank you,
Ankur