Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Respected Web Admin,
You have put it nicely. By the way, you may be knowing that the first Guru in the Shaivite tradition was Lord Dakshinamurti Shiva or south-facing Shiva, whose appearance is that of a beautiful young boy, who teaches his disciples, the first-born four sons of Lord Brahma, Sanat, Sanatan, etc., who are depicted as old sages with matted hair, in silence with his hands in Jnana mudra or the mudra of wisdom. Sri Fhanindra also looks very young and one of his qualities is that even if somebody by chance gets angry with him, on coming face-to-face with him, seeing his face, all anger evaporates. Sri Fhanindra attributes it to the Divine Mother, his chosen ideal Durga whose characteristic is to love all equally. Yet, I have also found evidence of what the scriptures say of sages, "Harder than the thunderbolt, softer than the flower." In matters of principle, he is very strict and though very slow to take offence, if riled, is unforgiving. At the same time, he himself said, "it doesn't take me long to melt."
Sorry, I wrote unrelated thoughts. But my conception of sages and saints changed drastically since I met Sri Fhanindra. They are also human beings, feeling joy and sorrow much more acutely than the rest of humanity. They have their moods, their quirkness of character which we all possess. They also feel angry. What differentiates them from us at our present stage of evolution is their TOTAL reliance on the Divine, and their constant meditation on Him. So that whatever they do turns by His grace for the good of the many, for the welfare of the many. And trials and tribulations don't crush them for He is with them and they become a channel for His peace and mercy. How much they toil, superhuman it seems, and their only delight is in Him. Perhaps the greatest blessing is to be in mental communion with such saints. Mere physical proximity doesn't achieve much. You must meet them with your own consciousness heightened and according to your receptacle, you will receive their grace.
Thanks and regards.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Dear Ankur ji,

You wrote: "The few saints I have met in life so far appeared decades younger than their physical age."

Comment: Of course, living a life of 'non-attachment' [renunciation], relying upom God, rather than upon the [small] self, will result in less stress and worry, which translates itself into a youthful demeanour.

Om Shanthi Om

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear Ankur ji,

You wrote: "My conception of sages and saints changed drastically since I met Sri Fhanindra. They are also human beings, feeling joy and sorrow much more acutely than the rest of humanity."

Comment: Yes, so very true. Saints are indeed human beings, and, although
blessed with a special relationship with the divine, are subject to
the same fluctuations in mood, physical and mental distress, etc., as all of us.

Their senses and perceptions, being so finely tuned, are much sharper than the average person's, and they therefore feel more acutely, both positive and negative vibrations, generated by contact with other entities.

Om Shanthi Om
==============

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in d

Thank you,
respected web admin. Given these conditions, their love and compassion is all the more extraordinary. Perhaps meditating on God, they are endowed with God's attributes.
Regards,
Ankur

Re: Holy Mother in dream

Dear All,
found the below on the net searching for Swami Rama. It is a poem by his disciple Swami Veda Bharati. Thought would share.
Regards.

I live in a cave, a spacious grotto with many exits of diverse contours,
many colored beams of lights
pouring in, radiating out,
a thread of life to and fro.
My cave in a mountain, volcanic, shaking,
quiet restful for long moments,
and again suddenly quaking.
this my cave looks out
to roads, to paths and valleys, to other mountains,
to sailing clouds and lightning rows.
I sit and watch many a procession,
shouting hilariously, mourning silently,
curious, halting to peep in at me
or indifferent passing
while evenings diminish
or mornings grow.
Warm is the fire I have kindled
and fed with life-fuel;
ashen, asleep I blow away.
Stirred awake
the embers glow
Flickering footwork, dancing shadows,
grotesque paintings, darkness mixed
with outer lights and alien rainbows.
Afeared so, I quit this fire,
rushing to my river of depths,
silent waters flowing to quench
bursting flaming thirst-volcanoes.
Safely tucked in mountain's womb,
cool, collected, smiling, poised
I take a dip of withdrawal
to my subterranean river.
While abroad, the world's procession
lost, wearied, whither-so-ever goes!

There are subterranean rivers within you at a certain place in this cave, in this residence of yours. At the outer halls of the cave, the psychic levels, you have inner darkness conflicting with outer lights and outer darkness mingling with inner lights, as well as all kinds of shades and shadows and fantasies and fears. But going deeper, you get to the subtler place in you, the subterranean river of energy and life. There you learn to be neutral to those parts of your body about which you can do nothing, for there are other sources of happiness for the mind.

Find those sources of happiness, create that happiness and you will find that there is more energy in you, there is more life in you, there is more creativity in you, there are greater sources of fulfillment in you than you have thought possible. The yogis will keep saying this again and again and again. But people listen and they go out of the lecture hall and forget. Do not forget. That's all.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Will someone interpret for me this dream. Just keen to know your thoughts. It is about the Holy Mother and the only dream about her that I remember almost clearly, more than a decade down memory lane.

I dreamt that I was standing and Holy Mother came sailing in reverse through the air out of her(shrine?) and kicked me on my forehead. Accursed destiny or blessed touch? Or both. A redemption through suffering!

Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

What a discriptive poem! Thanks, Ankur!

Re: Re: Re: Holy Mother in dream

So glad you liked it.
Thank you,
Ankur