Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crying to God

Sri Ramakrishna ­— Cry with a very yearning heart and you shall see God. People shed pitcherfuls of tears for wife and children, they weep streams of tears for money. But who cries for the Lord? ‘Call out to God with a longing and yearning heart.’ Saying this Thakur sings a song ­

Call out with a yearning, O mind! I’ll see, how will Mother Shyama hold Herself from you?

How will Shyama stay away? How can Kali remain away?

O mind, if you are within yourself take hibiscus flowers and bel leaves.

Smear them with sandal paste of bhakti, and make a handful offering of them at Her feet.

“Yearning in the heart brings the dawn. Thereafter, the sun is visible. After longing comes God-vision.

“You can see God if you have these three attachments put together: The attachment of a worldly man to the things of the world, the attachment of a mother to her child, and the attachment of a chaste wife to her husband. If these three attachments are put altogether (for God) in a man, the power of these attachments makes one see God.

“The real thing is that you must love the Lord the way a mother loves her son, a chaste wife her husband, and a worldly man the things of the world. When you have the combined intensity of love of all these three persons for the Lord and you put together all these three attachments, you will see Him.

“One should call upon God with a yearning heart.

“The kitten knows only to cry mew, mew to its mother. Wherever the mother keeps it, it remains there ­ now in the kitchen, now on the floor, and now on the bed. When it feels hurt, it simply cries ‘mew,’ ‘mew’ and knows nothing else. Wherever the mother may be, it comes on hearing its mew, mew.’

Om Tat Sat
================

Re: Crying to God

Brothers and Sisters in Mother's Courtyard:

Here is another wonderful quote from the Sri Sri Ramakrishna Kathamrita:

"Yearning is the way ­ He is your very own Mother"

Trailokya — How to dry up the liquid of sensory pleasures?

Sri Ramakrishna — Call on the Mother with a longing heart. The liquid of sensory pleasures dries up on seeing Her ­ your attachment to ‘woman and gold’ will fully disappear. When you realize that He is your own Mother, it happens at that very moment. He is not your stepmother. He is your own Mother! Be earnest and even stubborn with Her! The boy holds up his mother’s sari while asking her for money to buy a kite. The mother is perhaps busy talking to other women. Initially, the mother refuses outright, saying, ‘No, your father does not want this. I’ll ask him when he comes. You may not do something wrong.’ But when the boy starts crying and does not leave her, the mother says to the women, ‘Just wait for a while sisters. Let me once pacify this boy and return.’ Saying so, she opens her box with a key and throws a paisa at the boy. You also become stubborn with the Mother. She will certainly grant you Her darshan. I said the same to the Sikhs. They had come to the Kali Temple at Dakshineswar. We conversed in front of the Mother Kali’s shrine. They said, ‘God is all kindness.’ I said, ‘How is He all kindness?’ They said, ‘Because Maharaj, He is always looking after us. He gives us dharma (religion), artha (money) ­ all these. He gives us food.’ I said, ‘When somebody has children, doesn’t he take up the responsibility of feeding them, do the brahmins of the locality take up this duty?’

The Sub-judge — Sir, so is He not all kindness?

Sri Ramakrishna — Why should He be so? The one thing I told them was that He is our very own. We can force Him! To our near and dear ones we can even say, ‘Won’t you give, you rascal ...?’

-also-

Here is an additional quote from : "In The Company Of The Holy Mother" - Page: 60

Swami Arupananda:

Jayrambati, 31 December, 1909: It was eight or nine in the morning. Mother was in her room. I was sitting near her and talking with her.

"Mother," I said, "I come so close to you, yet why do I not recognize you as my own mother?"

She answered, "If you did not belong to me, why did you come here so often?.....I am your own mother. In time you will realize that."

A little later, speaking of my owm parents and brothers I remarked, "My parents brought me up, but now they have departed this life. I do not even know where they are. Mother, bless them that they may find the true way."

Mother replied, "Does everyone want Him?"

Om Tat Sat
============

Nahabat Web Admin