Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Converting to Hinduism

Try here
http://www.krishna.com/

Hare Krishna!

Re: Re: Converting to Hinduism

You CAN be a hindu!
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/
I hope this helps you John.

Re: Re: Re: Converting to Hinduism

Namaste Susan:

You wrote: "You CAN be a hindu!"

Of course, John can be anything he wants. No question about that at all.

However, in order to avoid unecessary arguments,
and subequent loss of precious time; perhaps it is better to be more specific; like: VEDANTIST, SHAKTA, SHAIVA, VAISHNAVA etc.

"Hindu" is just too broad a term.

For instance, in the French dictionary, a 'hindou' is an 'Indian of India'.

In other words, according to the French definition, His Excellency, Cardinal Ivan Dias, R.C. Archbishop of Mumbai [Bombay], would be considered a 'Hindu'......

Do you see where the confusion arises?

Om Shanthi Om
==============

Correction: Converting to Hinduism

RE Previous Posting: "In other words, according to the French definition, His Excellency, Cardinal Ivan Dias, R.C. Archbishop of Mumbai [Bombay], would be considered a 'Hindu'......"

Correction:

It is actually, His Eminence, rather than His Excellency. Sorry about that.

Om Shanthi Om

What's In a Name?

When this question first arose I found myself wondering: Why do we need to "belong?"

In my own lifetime I longed to be Christian. I did not like Christianity as I knew it, but I longed to be Christian nonetheless. I had no "use for" Jesus as he was presented. Yet, I longed to be accepted as a Christian.

My coming in contact with Vedanta and the teachings of ancient and modern saints is the very thing that has given Jesus and Christianity meaning. Through the years, my own spiritual quest has become more important than traditional labels. I had always been a child of God. Now I am a Child of Mother. :)

Re: What's In a Name?

Thank you, respected sister Jayanti. I think Swami Vivekananda also said, "It is good to be born in a church but not to die in one!"
With regards and good wishes on Lakshmi Puja.

Re: What's In a Name?

Dear Sister Jayanti,

You wrote: "When this question first arose I found myself wondering: Why do we need to "belong?"

In my own lifetime I longed to be Christian. I did not like Christianity as I knew it, but I longed to be Christian nonetheless. I had no "use for" Jesus as he was presented. Yet, I longed to be accepted as a Christian.

My coming in contact with Vedanta and the teachings of ancient and modern saints is the very thing that has given Jesus and Christianity meaning. Through the years, my own spiritual quest has become more important than traditional labels. I had always been a child of God. Now I am a Child of Mother. :)"

Comment: We agree, through our common experience, that the intense exposure to the Holy Trio, is 'the key' to understanding 'TRUE' Christianity.

Om Shanthi Om

======================