Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another priceless quote from Holy Mother's book

Greetings to the visitors in Mother's Courtyard.

Today, I am offering to you another priceless quote from Holy Mother's book.

This was less than two years before her MAhAsamAdhi, on Tuesday, July 21, 1920.

A READING from: "In The Company of The Holy Mother"
(available at all Vedanta Centres)

Page 259

Sarayubala Devi:

4 September, 1918:

Holy Mother was rebuking her sister-in-law, Nalini: "There's evil in your mind, that's why you can't find peace. Idleness has turned your head. Must you never have a single good thought? What an impure mind is yours!"

With this, Mother laughed again and looking at me said, "See how the Master makes game of me! See what a maternal family I am landed with! Such evil company I have to keep! One (the youngest sister-in-law) is quite mad and another (Nalini) on the borderline! And just look at that other one (Radhu)! What a creature I have reared, with not one drop of sense in her! I just see her leaning on the veranda railings, waiting for her husband to come home. She is probably afraid he might slip in over there where all the music and singing is going on. She watches over him day and night. What infatuation! I never thought she would have so much passion!"

The relative (Nalini) arose with a morose expression and went to bed.

"One must be fortunate to be vouchsafed this life," Mother continued, "Pray to God with all your might. One has to work; can anything be achieved without work? Even in the midst of household duties, one must make time for prayer.

"If I may refer to my own case, when I was at Dakshineswar, I would get up at three in the morning and sit down to prayers. I was not aware of the outside world. One moonlit night I was praying beside the stairs of my music tower, when there was stillness all around. I did not hear when the Master passed by me to the wooded place northward (as he did every night).

"On other occasions I heard his slippers. I was deep in meditation. In those days I loked different. I wore jewellery and had a red bordered sAri, the end of which had slipped from my shoulder and was fluttering in the breeze, I did not realize anything. The boy Jogin (Swami Yogananada) was with the Master with his water pot and saw me like that. What days I have lived! On moonlit nights I would fold my hands and gaze at the moon saying, 'Make my heart as pure as your moonbeams'".

(to be continued....)

Nahabat Guestbook