Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An Intercession

AN INTERCESSION

“These are the days that must happen to you:
You shall not heap up what is called riches.
You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve.
You but arrive at the city to which you are destined,
You hardly settle yourself to satisfaction, before you are called, by an irresistible call, to depart.
You shall be treated to the ironical smiles and mockings of those who remain behind you.
What beckonings of love you receive you shall answer with passionate kisses of parting.
You shall not allow the hold of those who spread their reached hands towards you.”
Walt Whitman

MOTHER! Far away, one whom I love is very sad today. His heart calls to mine for help, but though I tell him how I love him, I leave him still uncheered. How is it? I know he thinks towards me, I know I talk with him. Yet I long to see him, and hear him, and comfort him face to face!
My child, if this were not so, the sense-life would not be yours, or would not hold you. When you have reached that place where the communion of souls is enough, you will find that it is more than the knowledge of the senses, faith will already be swallowed up in sight.
But, oh Mother, what can I now do to ease this craving pain? I prayed for the vision of Raghunath* and did not know that it meant torture multiplied a thousand fold. When one is in trouble oneself, one’s own little world lies in gloom; outside, the busy feet pass up and down beneath the windows, the birds build nests, and the children play in the sunshine, as before: but the universe becomes all black when the beloved suffers.
Cease, my child, from inordinate affection. Give Me your heart, and let Me govern it alone. Be the witness of earth’s joys and sorrows, sharing them not. Thus only can you keep yourself from entanglement, and attain to peace.
But peace for myself, dear Mother, why should I seek? How can I turn a deaf ear to his voice that calls me, adding another pang to the heartache of a life, and go away myself, and be at peace? Give him that inner peace! Let me win it for him, if Thou wilt be kind! But I cannot will to fail him in his need and loneliness, even to gain Thy blessing!
……………………………………………………..
Ah foolish one! Every thought of love that you send out to answer his, becomes a fetter of iron to hold him in life’s anguish. Hide you yourself in My heart, My child, and he, too, will come home to Me. For your love’s sake, let your voice cease to be one with the voices of the world. Let it come to him only in Mine, when that is borne on the south wind at the time of sunset, calling him gently to worship at My feet. Let it be one with transcendent love, with infinite freedom. Only thus can you satisfy him. Only by withdrawing yourself can you bring him peace.
………………………………………………………
Mother! I yield. Take me, I pray Thee, into Thine own heart. Let me not look back. If Thou wilt call me I shall find my way there, surely, though my eyes now are blind with tears.
And for those I love, shall I trust Thy mercy less than I trust mine own?
Yet if at the last they seem to stumble, if the foot slip, or Thy voice fail them by the way, promise, dear Mother, once more to wake me from the dream of bliss. Cast me out from Thy heart, I beg of Thee, and let those who so need Thee, go in before to peace!
Silly, silly child! Like a helpless bird you beat your wings of littleness against My grace! Look up and laugh! For already the cloud that seemed so black is passing. Already the clasp of hands about the heart is loosened. Two souls draw the long breath of strength and relief. The feet of two who come to Me are shod with gladness. The hearts of two beat high, for the conquest born of renunciation.
Sister Nivedita

· * The vision of Raghunath is one of the eight perfections. It consists in feeling the sufferings of others as if they were our own. Many stories of the saints, especially those of the stigmata, give us special cases of it. It is told of a Hindu devotee, that when a bullock was smitten cruelly in his presence he screamed and fell down fainting; and when the passers-by ran to his assistance, he was found to bear the marks of the lashes on his own back.
· The allusion here is perhaps to one of the earlier steps in the acquirement of this perfection, when we have a deepened appreciation of the pain of those we love.

Re: An Intercession

Very interesting and valuable perspectives. Thanks for sharing
that with us, Ankurji.

Holy Mother, Sri Sarada Devi, also shared in that special 'empathy', described by Sister Nivedita.

Here is an excellent quote, which illustrates Mother's Divine Quality:

A READING from: "In The Company of The Holy Mother"
(available at all Vedanta Centres)

Page 275

Sarayubala Devi:

30 September, 1918:

MahAshtami Day: Gradually the hour for the midday offering drew near. Just then three men and three ladies came from a great distance in order to see Mother. They were very poor and possessed only the clothes they stood in. They had travelled a long distance having collected their expenses along the way.

One of the men discussed many private things with Mother. He never seemed to come to an end. The disciples were getting impatient, as it was time for the midday offering. One of them openly said. "If you have anything more to say, why do you not say it to one of the monks downstairs?"

But Mother said in a firm tone, "What does it matter if it is a little late? I must hear what they have to say." With this, she continued to listen patiently and later softly gave some instructions. She called the wife as well. We guessed that they had received some sign in a dream, a mantra as it turned out later. They accepted of the offerings and took their leave an hour later. Then Mother came in and said, "They are very poor and have come a long way with great hardship."

Om Shanthi Om

Nahabat Guestbook

Re: Re: An Intercession

Thank you, respected web admin. It is always uplifting to be reminded of any incident from Holy Mother's life. These little incidents actually demonstrate the Holy Mother's superhuman or divine quality, as you say. Thank you again for sharing.
Today I got another evidence of how the words of the realized ones come to pass, backed as they are by the Holy Mother. One of my former colleagues had a few months back sought Sri Fhanindra's intercession for a job. Sri Fhanindra who knew her well, though by name only, having never met her,adviced me to request her to send to him via myself a small inexpensive piece of white sandalwood, which, he said, he would forward to the Divine Mother in his shrine. The girl with great devotion gave me the same along with a lamp and flowers from her own. On receiving them, Sri Fhanindra remarked that she would get the job. However, when the results were out, she did not get the job being placed in the waiting list. The girl was shattered. I informed Sri Fhanindra. He kept quiet other than remarking that how nice if someone did not join and she got the job in her home town Sivasagar. Now, a little while ago the girl phoned. Unexpectedly, when she had given up hope, a letter has come that she has been given the job and should join at Sivasagar! The boy who had got the job there did not join. I was amazed. Really, the words of these holy ones can never be in vain. Sometimes we are made to wait a little, perhaps both to test our patience and to remove the impurity of overexpectation.

With regards,

Ankur

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Very interesting and valuable perspectives. Thanks for sharing
that with us, Ankurji.

Holy Mother, Sri Sarada Devi, also shared in that special 'empathy', described by Sister Nivedita.

Here is an excellent quote, which illustrates Mother's Divine Quality:

A READING from: "In The Company of The Holy Mother"
(available at all Vedanta Centres)

Page 275

Sarayubala Devi:

30 September, 1918:

MahAshtami Day: Gradually the hour for the midday offering drew near. Just then three men and three ladies came from a great distance in order to see Mother. They were very poor and possessed only the clothes they stood in. They had travelled a long distance having collected their expenses along the way.

One of the men discussed many private things with Mother. He never seemed to come to an end. The disciples were getting impatient, as it was time for the midday offering. One of them openly said. "If you have anything more to say, why do you not say it to one of the monks downstairs?"

But Mother said in a firm tone, "What does it matter if it is a little late? I must hear what they have to say." With this, she continued to listen patiently and later softly gave some instructions. She called the wife as well. We guessed that they had received some sign in a dream, a mantra as it turned out later. They accepted of the offerings and took their leave an hour later. Then Mother came in and said, "They are very poor and have come a long way with great hardship."

Om Shanthi Om

Nahabat Guestbook

Re: Re: Re: An Intercession

Namaste Ankur ji,

Thanks for sharing that nice story about your
Guru, Sri Fhanindra. It is amazing indeed how
things may develop.

You wrote "Really, the words of these holy ones can never be in vain"

Very true! Sri Ramakrishna once spoke about his elder brother thus:
"He was a saintly man, so his words were all true. Not that all people's words are so effective."

Here is a quote from: "In the Company of the Holy Mother", which
clarifies this:

Page 110

Swami Arupananda:

Udbodhan, 7 July, 1912:

"Mother, can the results of karma be wiped away?" I inquired. "The scriptures declare that these become infructuous when knowledge dawns. And yet one has to suffer the results of karma that have started working themselves out in the present body."

"All happiness and misery are the result of karma," said Mother. "Even the Master had to suffer such results. His elder brother was drinking water when in a delirium; but the Master snatched away the glass when he had drunk a little. This irritated the brother and he said, 'You did not allow me to drink; you too will have to suffer like this; you too will have a pain in the throat.' 'Brother', pleaded the Master, 'I have done no harm to you. You are ill, and too much water will aggravate the ailment. That's why I did so. Why then do you curse me?' 'I don't know, my brother, why these words slipped out of my mouth', said the elder with tears in his eyes. 'Now these can never be false.'

"When the Master fell ill, he told me, 'It's his curse that has created this sore in my throat. In any case this will save you all from much suffering, which I have courted thus.' 'If such be your lot,' I argued, 'how can ordinary people carry on in life?' "He was a saintly man;' the Master explained, 'so his words were all true. Not that all people's words are so effective."

Om Tat Sat

Love Triumphs

Thank you very much, respected web admin. You always have such apt quotations at hand. I shared your input with others here. Today received the following in my mailbox which I thought would be nice to share with you all.
Regards,
Ankur

Love Triumphs

Padmapadacharya is one of the excellent disciples of Shri AdiSankaracharya. One day Padmapada decided to do penance for the darshan of Lord Nrisimha. He went to forest for doing the tapas. In the forest he met a kirataka (hunter) and he revered padmapada as his master. Every day he used to come and greet his master with sincere love and affection. Gradually, the life of the hunter became a total surrender to the feet of the master. In his mind Guru and God became one and the same.

One day he noticed that the master is doing tapas. He enquired the master and came to know that the master is doing tapas for the lion faced God (lord Nrisimha). So, he decided to fetch that God for his master. He did not understand how difficult it is to see the God. All he knows is by having the darshan of God his Guru's desire will be fulfilled. So, with all sincerity he began his search. As the time progresses, searching for the God became the only purpose of his life. He relentlessly and tirelessly continued his search. The flame of divine love completely cleaned him of all the impurities.

At last, Lord Narayana showed his grace on him and appeared as Lion faced God. He immediately took him to Padmapada. Padmapada with uncontrollable joy fell on the feet of Lord Nrisimha. Lord Nrisimha explained to Padmapada that the innocent, pure, unselfish and single minded devotional love of the hunter without a trace of ego won him over. As mentioned in Sai Satcharita,"Once you surrender at Guru's feet with single minded devotion, not only the Guru, but God himself will be moved. Such is the marvel of Guru worship, which the guru- devotees should experience themselves."

The main purpose of worship of God is to enable everyone to feel the joy and bliss of divine love and to become one in that love. As this goal appears too steep for many in the world, lot of steps have been prescribed to reach the Goal. Sri Sai advised Sraddha and Saburi as the fundamental keys to open the treasure chest of divine love or knowledge. Sraddha gives the self-confidence and Saburi allows staying at peace with day-to-day events. Some times during the times of crisis in life it becomes very difficult to hold on to these two keys. (Sraddha & Saburi). At those times, it is always good for us to remember the assurance of Sri Sai."The Sky is overcast. But, it is sure going to rain and bring forth the harvest."

Re: Love Triumphs

Ankur ji,

We are indeed fortunate to have such seekers after Truth, as your good self, sharing in the gentle sunlight and tranquil atmosphere of Holy Mother's Courtyard. Don't forget also to visit the Nahabat for daily readings too!

Before Swamiji's auspicious introduction to the Master, he had formerly great objections, as most of us have, to accept another man as Guru or spiritual guide.

This is because we think that the person whom we accept as Guru might turn out to be an ordinary man full of inherent weakness of lust and gold. But on coming in the company of Sri Ramakrishna, Narendra understood that such great souls with complete renunciation, selflessness, and compassion, though rare, actually are born in the world - souls with extraordinary purity, love, and penance - that shake the limited conception about God and God-Man existing in the little mind and intellect of we ordinary people.

Therefore, if they are accepted as Gurus, ordinary men will be benefited, and not harmed. Consequently Narendra was ready to accept the Master as his Guru, but still he could not go so far as to accept indiscriminately whatever Sri Ramakrishna said! As Swami Saradananda writes, "A powerful mind feels strong resistance from within when, at the time of accepting new truth, it has to change its former convictions.

Excerpted from the late Dr. C. S. Shah's SWAMI VIVKENANDA - THE UNIVERSAL MAN

Re: Re: Love Triumphs

Respected web admin,
first of all please accept my apologies for the late reply. I am at present in Guwahati and shall be returning to Shillong tomorrow. Actually, I was composing a piece on Lord Shiva by Sister Nivedita. Thought I would post that in reply to your kind post. However, our home PC has some problem with microsoft word and I was unable to do as I planned. Anyway, thank you for the kind words and the valuable excerpt. Today Sri Fhanindra called me. Recitation from the Bhagavad purana in his house. THe reciter was a good man with a beautiful voice. Really, hearing to the glory of the Lord can help cleanse one. The bhagavad he was reading from was by Sri Sri Sankardeva in Assamese. He narrated the story of the events leading to Sri Krishna's lifting the Govardhan mountain with the little finger of his left hand and humbling Indra, and also the story of Krishna's birth. At my asking, he told the story of Gajendra moksha in brief. I love that story. How Indradumnya, the king who built the now famous Jagannath temple, was cursed by Rishi Agastya to become an elephant and how in that animal incarnation, he was redeemed by Lord Vishnu. He also said that the Lord as Vishnu gives everything to his dear devotees, his rupa or form, his mace, discus, lotus and conch, and his powers. But He does not give anyone two things, viz. the kaustubha and srivatsa. Kaustubha was the gem obtained during the churning of the ocean by the gods and demons and has the brilliance of the sun, and srivatsa is where he has preserved on his chest the dust of the feet of hsi great devotee, the rishi Brighu, obtained when that sage kiched Him there. I have read in the Bhagavad Gita that the seven sages, the saptarshi, one among whom incarnated on Earth as Swami Vivekananda according to Sri Ramakrishna, are equal in power with the Lord except that they cannot create.

Regards and thanks,

Ankur

Re: Re: Re: Love Triumphs(correction)

'dust of the feet of hsi great devotee, the rishi Brighu, obtained when that sage kiched Him there' should be read as 'dust of the feet of his great devotee, the rishi Brighu, obtained when that sage kicked Him there.'

Apologies,

Ankur