Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mother's accurate prediction about the demise of the Raj

Greetings brothers & sisters,

During the early stages of the struggle for home rule in India,
Bengal was a hotbed of illegal political activity.

In the following quote from "In The Company Of The Holy Mother", we see
that Mother felt very strongly about the apparent injustice of
'the Company', during those times.

Her mind hearkened back to the gentler days of Queen Victoria.

This excerpt is also very revealing, because it illustrates Mother's
powerful personality, and her accurate prediction, concerning the demise
of the Raj:

A READING from: "In The Company of The Holy Mother"
(available at all Vedanta Centres)

Page 321

Swami Ishanananda:

But the day that brought the news that the wife and sister of Deven Babu of village Yuthavihara, both named *Sindhubala had been marched under arrest to the police station by the police of Bankura, in connection with a political case, though one of them was in an advanced state of pregnancy, all were struck dumb at seeing Mother red with anger.

*(The police wanted one of the Sindhubala's, but failing to identify the real one, preferred to arrest both).

At first she cried, "You really say so!" and her whole frame shook. And then she added, "Is that an order from the Comapny (i.e. Government) or an overdoing of it all by the police officer? Well, we never heard of such inhuman treatment towards innocent women during the time of Queen Victoria. If this be an order from the Company, then its days are numbered. Was there no man present who could give some slaps and snatch away the girls?"

A little later, however, when the news of their release came, Mother became a little reassured and said, "Had I not got that news, I couldn't sleep this night."