Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wildfires in Southern California

Brothers & Sisters,

Let us offer our prayers for the folks in Southern
California, to have strength to deal with this
terrible event, and to get on with their lives.

Incidentally, Sister Jayanti lives in the San Diego area.

Re: Wildfires in Southern California

Respected Nahabat web admin,

Our prayers for the well-being and safety of those affected. I am not aware actually of what really happened. Trust Sister Jayanti is safe and well. Only the other day I interacted with her through my personal mail ID.

With regards,

Ankur

Re: Re: Wildfires in Southern California

Your prayers were much appreciated, as were prayers of many.

The fires were indeed terrible, and despite optimistic news reports, I believe they are still finding bodies in the rubble. At least many were found after the coverage ended.

I myself and the Vedanta Center three blocks from me are located in the "heart" of San Diego and thus were well away from the fires. Many devotees were evacuated for periods. Overall, none sustained great loss. One garage burned.

Shall I write this? What is difficult for me, as an American, was to see again the partial workings of our government and media. It was not reported that the poor and minority residents in one area were virtually left to fend for themselves. But not left alone! A call went out to caring "white" residents to come because those of minorities who had come to help were being harassed by the authorities. The presence of "mainstream" activists would help lessen the harassment and enable the aid and rescue efforts.

In times like these I think of Swamiji, who called us, the United States, babies who have yet to understand the majesty of our own high ideals. He also said we will...one day. I hold on to that. For such as Swamiji cannot speak in vain.

Nonetheless, it is difficult to witness. How Mother plays!

Re: Re: Re: Wildfires in Southern California

Dear Sister Jayanti,

Happy to note that you are ok. In any disaster, the poor suffer
the most, as was also evident with hurricane Katrina, and during the
current Bangladesh floods as well.

You mentioned, that the presence of "mainstream" activists helped the aid and rescue efforts.

It is indeed wonderful, to see the immortal words of Swami Vivekananda being put into practical application:

"You have read - 'Look upon your mother as God; look upon your father as God.' But I say. The poor, the illiterate, the ignorant, the afflicted - let these be your God. Know that the service to these alone is the highest religion."

Om Tat Sat

PS: Those of you who visit the Nahabat Guestbook for 'Daily Readings from In the Company of the Holy Mother' @ http://nahabat.tux.nu have noticed that the Lycos Server has been down for over 24 hours now. We hope that they correct this problem soon.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wildfires in Southern California

How insightful you are, Tom. One thing I have found in many of the activists I have come to know is a deep spiritual quality. They may not acknowledge this. Many have rejected "organized religion." Yet, there is a genuine, unsentimental, and unassuming respect for others and willingness to assist.

It is that "unsentimental" (detachment) and "unassuming" (renunciation) that both reveals the spiritual base and renders their assistance effective.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wildfires in Southern California

So very true, sister Jayanti.

The same can be said for the many selfless volunteers, who render valuable service in hospitals, geriatric centers, food banks, etc.

Quietly going about their work, it never crosses their minds, that they are the 'real heroes' of our society.

As a matter of fact, it is totally unthinkable, that our world would be able to do without them.

The core strength of our Western Democracies, lies in the long tradition of volunteerism.

As you noted, they are unconsciously practicing a form of Karma Yoga, without even acknowledging their deep spiritual qualities.