Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Seeking Remembrances of Swami Aseshananda, Mother's Disciple

Dear friend,

Have you gone through the reminiscences of Aseshananda Ji by Swami Shantarupananda. I was reading it early morning today, hence thought of asking. I love Aseshananda Ji though I never did meet him. I will ask the monks here I still know if they have any recollections and will share if any are forthcoming.

Regards,

Ankur

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Dear Swamis, Monastics of the Ramakrishna Order, Disciples, Devotees, and Associates of Swami Aseshanandaji,

I'm writing to ask your participation in a project to gather reminiscences about Swami Aseshanandaji, the last living disciple of Sri Sarada Devi. The purpose of this project is to preserve the memories, experiences, observations, teachings, stories, etc. of those who were blessed to know him so that others may benefit in the years to come. The intent is preservation with the possibility of publication in some form. Each individual's reminiscence will be released only with his/her permission.

This opportunity to serve also has personal significance as I'd like to learn more about Swami Aseshanandaji. Initiated in my youth during the turbulent 1970s, I spent much of the ensuing years either in foreign countries or engaged in various pursuits. Finally it became clear that I should redirect my focus, and this project suggested itself. Our family recently moved to Portland to be connected with the Vedanta Center.

Because Swami Aseshanandaji always admonished me to complete my higher educational degrees, I received preparation for this current project. Working as an ethnomusicologist, I interviewed many musicians and composers in Britain, the US, and Middle East for research and publication projects.

The way to contribute to the project is quite simple. Your reminiscences could be written or, if preferred, spoken into a tape cassette, which can be conveniently turned on when something comes to mind. Once the cassette is mailed to me, I will then transcribe it. I will return a written copy of your reminiscences should you wish to review or revise anything. Your originals ideas will be far better than my suggestions, but if you need some ideas to get started, you might look at the questionnaire below.

If you prefer a live interview I'd be happy to meet with you if possible. Or we could do a phone interview with the microphone on my end capturing our discussion.

Anonymous contributions are also welcome. You may submit materials to me and only I will know the source. It will be published anonymously. Alternately, you may mail something to me anonymously, but I suggest you use a friend’s address so I can acknowledge receipt.

If you have videos, newspaper articles, or photos please feel free to send them to me by ordinary mail or scanned email. Anything sent by ordinary mail will be copied and returned promptly. I may also be able to make you a CD or DVD of anything submitted to preserve them for your own collection.

The project has been launched with the first interview of Swami's oldest disciple in Portland. As of October 2007, twenty reminiscences have been collected, one third from monks and nuns.

Whether you have known Swami Aseshanandaji for decades or just a short time, the information you provide will help us gain a fuller picture of his role and mission within the Ramakrishna Order.

Your questions, comments, and suggestions are welcomed. Please feel free to forward this to anyone who could contribute. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Esther Warkov

Swami Aseshananda Questionnaire

1. How did you first meet Swami Aseshananda? Was there anything memorable about the occasion or your first impression?
2. How did your relationship with Swami Aseshananda evolve?
3. How did Swami Aseshananda mold and impact your life?
4. Over time, did you come to certain conclusions about Swami Aseshananda?
5. What were some of the essential teachings of Swami Aseshananda?
6. What were some of his memorable sayings?
7. Are there any personal stories you’d care to share?
8. How would you characterize Swami’s pujas, worships, lectures, etc?

Everything has come together beautifully. Remembering Sri Sarada Devi's Disciple: Swami Aseshananda As We Knew Him has gone to print. 64 remembrances, 323 pages in a large format book (8.5x11 inches) with DVD. Should be available in May through www.compendiumpublications or from the author at esther_warkov@comcast.net

With gratitude,

ew

I have many wonderfully inspiring reminiscences of Swami Aseshananda, my first teacher, who I met in early 1954. Also quotes from his letters. I've often thought these ought to be passed on.

Marlina

I have many wonderful reminiscences of Swami Aseshananda, as well as letters. I have often thought that these ought to be passed on to other devotees of Sri Sarada Devi and her devoted disciple, Swamo Aseshananda.

Marlina

Dear Marina,

Being a researcher myself I do hope that your letters will get to the right hands for preservation purposes. I have contacted the forum adminstrator here (Sister Jayanti of Sri Sarada Society)so that your post here will not be overlooked. However, I have not received a reply as of yet so it is possible that I used the wrong email address. Please do not let this go. I have not been aware before of this particular Swami but your post has brought attention to him.

There must be a reason!!

Yours in Holy Mother's Grace,
Rosemary

Dear Marlina,

You are right, reminiscences and letters, especially of Mother's own Disciple, are precious. i will forward your post to Esther Warkov or you might contact her directly. (See the original post.) Although she has finished the project, my feeling is that she will know how best to preserve your treasures for others to benefit from.

Esther's email is: esther_warkov@comcast.net

Yours in Mother,
Jayanti