Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Francis of Assisi

Respected Tom Ji,

Thank you once again for your interesting, encouraging and educative post. I agree with you that, "too much diversification tends to dissipate my spiritual energy." And most beautiful, "and those who, after studying all the scriptures and sciences, have come to realize that they know nothing." Though I must say that the Leelaprasanga or 'Sri Ramakrishna the Great Master' by Swami Saradananda is not an ordinary book nor its author ordinary. Most monks prefer to read this book along with and even instead of The Gospel of Sri Ramamkrishna. For Swami Saradananda was a direct monastic disciple of the Master just as Sri 'M' was a direct householder disciple. Swami Saradananda wrote his book to repay the debts he incurred to build a house for the Holy Mother in Kolkata, 'The Mayer Bari' or 'Udbodhan'. He lost all interest in completing it after the Holy Mother and Swami Brahmananda had passed on. He spent his last years mostly in meditation. Of course, this is just mentioning about the book. I agree with you again that it is best to limit oneself to two or three books by selected author/authors and meditate on them. Thank you for your good wishes. I hope God will again instil in me the fervour I felt originally while reading the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna for the first time.
I really admire the rich collection you have built up of musical records, though I appreciate even better the 'sound of silence' you are nowadays listening to!
With regards and thanks,
Ankur

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Dear Ankur Ji,

Thanks again for your kind words, regarding our webpages for the Holy Trio.

I am sorry to note, that you are not in 'much of good shape at present'; and I sincerely hope that a careful re-reading of the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna will help you to regain your equilibrium.

I know that there are many excellent books about Sri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda and also the Holy Mother; however, I have found that too much diversification tends to dissipate my spiritual energy; consequently, I remain 'fixed' on "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna", "The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda", and "In The Company Of The Holy Mother".

Everybody has his/her own particular nature. Some folks are able to absorb many opinions and thoughts from a variety of authors; concerning the Holy Trio; but, being basically a very simple person, I try to keep my knowledge of the Holy Trio as concise and uncomplicated as possible.

I guess that I agree wholeheartedly with Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, when He said:

'ONLY two kinds of people can attain self-knowledge : those who are not encumbered at all with learning, that is to say, whose minds are not over - crowded with thoughts borrowed from others; and those who, after studying all the scriptures and sciences, have come to realize that they know nothing.'

Regarding listening to music, I used to spend a lot of time enjoying recorded music of all types; but, for the past ten years or so, I find that I much prefer 'the sounds of silence'.

This is ironic, since I happen to possess a huge library of Long-Playing records, numbering well over 1500 units. I have many imported albums of Indian Classical Music, Sitar. Vina, Flute etc., performed by established masters. There are also to be found, folk music from almost every country in the world.

Besides the above-mentioned, there is of course, European Opera and other Classical selections; as well as American Jazz, Popular Music, Country, Rock etc., from the 1920's through the 1980's. Most of this material is catalogued by artist and song title.

And yet, it is very rare indeed, when I actually place a record on the turntable these days.

You may ask, 'how I managed to accumulate such a large music library?':

About twenty-five years ago, people were getting rid of their Vinyl LP records, and replacing them with CD's. The discarded LP's usually ended up in second-hand record stores, garage & lawn sales, and junk shops.

So, for a fraction of the original selling price, I was able to build a large library of recorded music, which I don't listen to any more.

There is always the possibility, however, that I may become interested again, but I sincerely doubt it.

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Francis of Assisi

Dear Ankur Ji,

Thanks for your comments, which are always most appreciated.

Your warm understanding of my particular situation, concerning the complete contentment I feel, in obtaining my spiritual consolation and inspiration from the three publications heretofore mentioned, is also cherished by me.

May Sri Saraswati grant you the peace and isolation, necessary to absorb properly, the blessed contents of the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, during your forthcoming re-reading.

I am sure that you will enjoy it immensely, just as I did, upon my second and third readings of Mahendranath Gupta's masterpiece. It seems that, with
every subsequent reading, special insights and previously unnoticed details spring to life.

Actually, I am planning very soon, to settle down to yet another serious reading of this book.

Om Shanthi Om

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: St. Francis of Assis

Respected Tom Ji,

You have today prayed to Mother Saraswati for me and today morning for the second time perhaps in my life I dreamt of our Holy Mother Sarada whom Sri Ramakrishna looked upon as Saraswati. I shall keep the dream to myself for the present. But I felt like having received Her blessings and may your prayers also be answered so that I can read the Gospel in peace and isolation. Thank you.
It is nice that you are going in for another serious reading of the Gospel. All the good wishes.
I am actually feeling happy today, though in a silent way, on account of the unexpected dream.
I think I will try to follow your example of having two three selected books only as a perennial source of inspiration. That will be helpful to me.

With thanks and regards,

Ankur