Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Holy Mother's birthday

Greetings and salutations to all, on this auspicious occasion!

According to a brief biography of the Holy Mother:

"Sri Sarada Devi was born on 22nd December, 1853, as the eldest daughter of Ramachandra Mukherjee and Shyamasundari Dev1.

So, although her birthday was celebrated yesterday, according to the Lunar Calendar (of this particular year); the Holy Mother will be 155 years old, this coming Monday, by 'Western reckoning'. Incidentally, today (December 19) just happens to be my own 64th birthday.

Here are a few more quotes, compliments of the Vedanta Society of Southern Californiain addition to those which Ankur ji so graciously provided:

"If you practice spiritual discipline for some time in a solitary place, you will find that your mind has become strong, and then you can live in any place or society without being in the least affected by it. When the plant is tender, it should be hedged around. But when it has grown big, not even cows and goats can injure it. Spiritual practices in a solitary place are essential."

"Whatever you yearn for, that you will get."

"Everyone can break down something, but how many can build it up?"

"Forbearance is a great virtue; there is no other like it."

"The purpose of one's life is fulfilled only when one is able to give joy to another."

"As wind removes the cloud, so the name of God destroys the cloud of worldliness."

===============end of quotes============

I think that my favorite one, amongst the above is: "The purpose of one's life is fulfilled only when one is able to give joy to another."

Om Shanthi Om
==============

Auspicious and Happy Birthdays!

In talking about dates, I overlooked the blessed occasion of your own 64th birthday falling on the same day as Mother's! Is this not a blessed gift?

My lowly excuse for overlooking this is that I like all of Mother's birthdays!

And I especially like her "fixed" birthday. That Mother was born into this world on December 22,1953, has always held a special significance for me, as it falls so near Christmas! Devotees and a swami in San Diego renamed your birthday "Mother-mas" in recognition of the Holy Season. Sri Ramakrishna had a vision and experience of Jesus entering his being. Swami Vivekananda inspired* his brothers to take vows of renunciation after hearing about Jesus' own renunciation, on an evening that he later learned was Christmas Eve. So too the date of Mother's birth so near to Christmas seems to complete a special connection between East and West.

Dear Mother,

As our hearts and minds turn towards you and Jesus and Mary during this Holy Season, may we feel the warm glow of your presence.

Re: Auspicious and Happy Birthdays!

Dear Sister Jayanti,

Your kind words are undoubtedly appreciated by all, myself included.

Although I understand perfectly, the excellent reasons behind the principle of the calculation of Holy Trio birthdays, in accordance with the Bengali Lunar Calendar, the advantage of 'fixed' dates, in commemorating these birthdays, on the International level, is obvious:

The vast majority of new Devotees to Ramakrishna Vedanta, are not coming from any connections with the various Vedanta Societies, as in the past; but rather through inspiration, gained from material found on the Internet.

Consequently, these new Devotees are most probably not aware of the system, prevalent in India, of calculating the (movable) birth dates of renowned Holy people, using the Lunar Calendar; and therefore will be inclined to celebrate the Trio's Holy Birthdays on the actual 'fixed' dates, according to the Gregorian Calendar.

In consideration of the foregoing, I am taking the liberty here (in Montreal, Canada), of wishing the Holy Mother, Sri Sarada Devi, a Most Wonderfully Happy Birthday today, in recognition of her sweet arrival in this terrible old world, exactly 155 years ago!

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Click on the image below, for daily readings from: "In The Company Of The Holy Mother"