Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swami Ijyananda - reminiscences Part I

Revered Ijyananda Ji

Among the people I have interacted with in life so far, I have noticed that there are some few whose association, however brief, left a lasting beneficial impression on the mind. Included among these few are some senior monks of the Sri Ramakrishna Order that I had had the blessed chance to see and meet.

I would like to share here my memories of one such monk which, I feel, can be shared:

Swami Ijyananda: Disciple of Vijnanananda Ji Maharaj (a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna and the fourth President of the Ramakrishna Math and Mission), and Secretary of Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Guwahati, at the time I met him. The first monk of the Holy Order whom I met in my adult years and the one I still revere like my Gurudeva Swami Bhuteshananda Ji Maharaj. Here are some of my memories of him as recollected through the haze of the past:

a. The very first time I met him was in Guwahati Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama on I think January 20, 1993. Brahmachari Pravir Maharaj (Now a Swami in Swamiji’s, i.e., Vivekananda’s Ancestral House in Kolkata) directed me to him to seek his advice regarding selection of some book(s) I was intending to buy. Ijyananda Ji on that occasion asked me to eat Meat, Fish and Eggs well and build up my health. He also advised me not to read then the book Yoga Psychology of Swami Abhedananda which I was intending to buy. Instead, he advised me to read Karma Yoga of Swami Vivekananda first, and if I wish Bhakti Yoga also by Swami Ji. I was 20 years old then and knew little about what a monk was. So, I disobeyed the ‘old man’ and bought the book Yoga Psychology. However, I NEVER did get round to read it! I read or at least got the feel of books of the Holy Order in their hundreds then and later. But that particular book remained unread! I later gave it away to Shri Mridul Saikia, my college friend and fellow-disciple.

b. I met him next in New Delhi Ramakrishna Mission in late 1993 as I was waiting to have a private audience with Revered Gokulananda Ji, the Secretary of the New Delhi Ramakrishna Mission. On that occasion, I bowed to him for the first time. He perhaps asked my name and where I was from as he made me sit by his side on a bench. I remember his telling me, “You are our own. Why did you not come till now?” He also asked me to bring my parents to meet him.

c. He more than once referred to me as ‘friend.’

d. I expressed before him my desire for becoming a monk. At this he talked with me at some length. When he learned that I was a brahmin boy, he said I have thereby already inherited some good samskaras. Learning that I had no sister, he was pleased and said it was well and good. He asked me whether I did not want a large building of my own and cars also. I replied, “No, Sir.” Then he rubbed my chest with his palm for a while and said briefly, “Make up your mind.” Finally, one day he said he would give me a letter for I think Advaita Ashrama, Kankhal. Seeing me demurring, he suggested Varanashi Advaita Ashrama. I was still undecided so he then told about Advaita Ashrama, Kolkata, to which I agreed as Kolkata seemed known to me and the place where Gurudeva Bhuteshananda Ji stayed at Belur Math. Then I went out and met Brahmachari Pravir Maharaj by the library. Pravir Maharaj expressed his doubts about the suitability of Advaita Ashrama as the joining centre for me and advised me to go to Belur Math. Anyway, with a mind slightly disturbed thereby, when I returned to Ijyananda Ji’s office room, he said, “Shall I tear up this letter?” He had caught my thought waves and perhaps sensed what Pravir Maharaj and I were discussing quite at a distance. How he sensed that I don’t know. Anyway, I asked him to refrain, and he handed me a sealed letter for Mumukshananda Ji, then the President of Advaita Ashrama as well as a Trustee of the Ramakrishna Order. Brahmachari Dhananjaya Maharaj (Now Swami Viragananda Ji at Seva Pratishthan, Kolkata) gave me his good wishes in parting and presented me the book, “Go Forward” by Swami Premeshananda Ji, and advised me to follow Ijyananda Ji’s instructions. I went to Kolkata in late 1996 to my sister Samikhya’s house as I was attached to her and wanted to be with her before joining. Her father Uncle Prakash took me on my request to Advaita Ashrama, not knowing of my desire of course. I met Mumukshananda Ji. I also met Bodhasarananda Ji or Aurobindo Maharaj, then the Manager of Kolkata Advaita Ashram centre. Aurobindo Maharaj sat me by his side and remarked, “What took you so long?” However, on that almost two month visit to Kolkata, I was not able to join Advaita Ashrama. Although I did go there one day on my own, Uncle Prakash, Samikhya’s father persuaded me back to their home. Next year towards the end of 1997, I again left for Kolkata, this time ran away from home and straightaway went to the Advaita Ashrama without informing even Ijyananda Ji. Aurobindo Maharaj was not too pleased to see me but when I remained firm that time in spite of the gentle persuasion of mother and aunt, he extended me his hospitality and gave me a chance. I was down with pneumonia during December, when Aurobindo Maharaj spent several thousand rupees on my diagnosis and treatment. But learning that I masturbated almost daily, and noticing my inefficiency in work perhaps, he warned me initially and then after another month or two asked me to go home offering to buy my railway ticket back. I presented my case before Revered President Maharaj of the Ramakrishna Order Bhuteshananda Ji, Vice-President Maharaj Atmasthananda Ji, Suhitananda Ji and Mumukshananda Ji. When I had the darshan of Revered Bhuteshananda Ji at Belur Math, I found occasion to be alone with him for a few minutes. He put on his hearing aid and asked my name and where I was from. I told him that I was Ankur, I was from Guwahati, that I had joined Advaita Ashrama, but they are now asking me to go back home. At this President Maharaj without any further inquiries whatsoever said in a somewhat loud, firm and strong voice, “Ask them what disqualifications they find in you and tell them you shall try to overcome them.” This coming from the Sangha Guru who was also my Guru should have been more than enough for me. But I woefully lacked faith in myself, and perhaps faith in the Guru’s words. I thought will this be enough to convince Revered Aurobindo Maharaj. What if Gurudeva finds out that I ********** often if not daily. So I again addressed Bhuteshananda Ji and told him that I have not been able to observe Brahmacharya. At this point Sevak Maharaj came in and he told President Maharaj that Aurobindo Maharaj says that I will not be able to observe Brahmacharya. At this Gurudeva smiled and said that in that case I better talk to Suhitananda Ji Maharaj. Sevak Maharaj informed him that Suhitananda Ji had gone out somewhere. So President Maharaj suggested the name of Jairam Maharaj or Revered Smaranananda Ji, the then General Secretary Maharaj. I bowed at Gurudeva’s holy feet and sought forgiveness for my sins. As I withdrew from his presence, I foolishly and madly thought that now he will wash the place where I sat with Ganga water to purify it!! I heard Gurudeva call out plaintively like a child, “Ma, Ma.” I next went in search of Smaranananda Ji Maharaj in the main office building. However, I came upon Revered Suhitananda Ji who had returned by now. Suhitananda Ji called me to his office, took my brief biographical details and talked with me a little. When he asked why were they sending me back, I quoted lack of brahmacharya and inefficiency in work, though I was never told nor did I inquire just why I was being sent back. Suhitananda Ji said that he did not think Brahmacharya was my problem, that in fact I was too soft and gentle, and might not be able to adjust to the demands of work where I would have to meet with various types of people and do different types of works as the occasion demanded, and hence it would be better if I served the Holy Order from outside, remaining either single or married, that was up to me. He said that they were sadhus who cannot change and that I will have to change myself. He also said that of course he did not know my whole case history and would have to interact with Revered Aurobindo Maharaj. He asked me whether I had spoken to Revered Mumukshananda Ji who was a much revered and senior monk of the order. He advised me to lay my cards on the table before Revered Mumukshananda Ji Maharaj. Finally he asked me whether I had met Satyakrishna Maharaj or Atmasthananda Ji, by then one of the Vice-Presidents of the Ramakrishna Order. I used to write now and then to Revered Atmasthananda Ji and it seemed the monks at Belur Math knew about that. I replied in the negative. When he inquired why I had not met him, I was not able to give an answer. I was actually diffident feeling my character was not pure and how would I face him. Anyway, leaving Suhitananda Ji Maharaj, I chanced by pure luck to have the darshan of Revered Atmasthananda Ji Maharaj who was strolling by the temples. I had last met him personally four years back in early 1994, and was not 100 per cent sure whether it was Atmasthananda Ji Maharaj. So I went up to him and inquired, “Are you Atmasthananda Ji Maharaj?” Atmasthananda Ji said, “Yes, and who might you be?” I told him my name was Ankur and of my having met him in New Delhi Ramakrishna Mission in 1994, and of subsequent developments ending with my joining the Advaita Ashrama and now being asked to go back. Revered Atmasthananda Ji looked at me directly at my eyes for a while. I also looked at his eyes. His eyes seemed somewhat different. Burnt out, sort of. Burning out of all worldly desires and attachment? Presently Atmasthananda Ji addressed me, “I find nothing wrong with you. Why are they sending you back?” Again the same old self-doubt assailed me. I told him, “Maharaj, I haven’t been able to observe Brahmacharya both internal and external.” I was a fool. I could have straightaway told him that I used to ********** and was trying to overcome it. Even as I told him this, out of my doubt and thinking what Maharaj would think perhaps, a dark shadow flickered across my mind’s eye. I don’t know what it was. Some terrible deed that I had never committed, even in dreams? Or samskaras of a time gone by, i.e. of a past birth? Sri Ramakrishna alone knows. And immediately Atmasthananda Ji turned his head away. Then again looking at me, he said, “In that case, you had better go. You will not be able to adjust here.” I pleaded that I would like to try more. He asked me whether I had told all this to Revered President Maharaj. I unintentionally but out of a habit of presenting the truth according to my convenience, thus making it half-truth actually, told him what Bhuteshananda Ji had told me immediately after I had told him about being asked to go back home. At this Atmasthananda Ji said, “You are honest. Request Aurobindo Maharaj to give you some more time, three months, no six months. I wish you all the best.” And he walked away. I felt uplifted at his good wishes, but guilty also that I had somehow misrepresented the truth. So I again went up to Atmasthananda Ji and told him that President Maharaj had asked me to talk to Suhitananda Ji. Atmasthananda Ji told me, “So, talk with him.” I said I had already done so. And then I withdrew. Coming back to Advaita Ashrama with a heavy heart, I told Revered Mumukshananda Ji all what had happened. He very kindly told me to give it all to him in writing telling me that they all regarded anything Revered President Maharaj said very seriously and the amount of time he had given me was in itself important. Mumukshananda Ji seemed in favour of me. But Aurobindo Maharaj was inflexible and I overheard him speak over phone to one of the above-mentioned senior monks probably, “Maharaj, that boy has no self-control.” He also remarked about me before all when Ramakrishna Maharaj suggested that I be given a farewell feast, “He was never one of us.” Well, Mumukshananda Ji and Baidyananth Maharaj and Partha Maharaj (Satyalokananda Ji) gave me presents, advice and blessings on parting in early March, 1998. I must also mention here Respected Biswajit Maharaj, who lent a patient ear to my no-account prattle and boastings about hearth and home and family background while at Advaita Ashrama. I am grateful to him for his patience. To cut a long story short, I thus got a chance to try for the monastic life thanks to Ijyananda Ji, and the blessings of Gurudeva Bhuteshananda Ji received on April 10, 1995. Though I was unsuccessful and was asked to leave, whatever positive memories of that stint I have, including the gaining of weight (I permanently gained 15 kg, again perhaps the blessings of Ijyananda Ji for I was underweight for my height till then), I owe to Revered Ijyananda Ji. I may mention here that Revered Aurobindo Maharaj has kindly kept in touch with me whenever possible. He came to Guwahati recently, and as in his previous visit, asked for me. On this occasion he talked kindly with me for long inquiring about my parents and my welfare and my future plans and telling me that for a bachelor like me whose wants were not many three things were needed: i. Financial security, ii. Keeping busy, and iii. Having high ideals. In parting he remarked with a compassionate look that he found me better in health, something which Revered Dhananjaya Maharaj also remarked last I saw him in Kolkata less than two years ago.

e. Once I was present when in a state of bhava, Ijyananda Ji went on talking about the Holy Mother Sarada Devi and Swami Saradananda (Sri Ramakrishna’s disciple and my Guru’s Guru). How the picture of the Holy Mother was jealously guarded by Thakur’s disciples and how the Himalaya-like grave Swami Saradananda would interview anyone wanting a picture of Holy Mother and then give stern instruction regarding how to keep the Mother’s picture if he was satisfied with the genuineness and sincerity of the person’s request; how Swami Saradananda in spite of his grave exteriors, was inwardly mother-like at heart, etc. I had to leave as it was getting late in the evening. Sensing my feelings, he looked at me and asked, “You do not like our talk?” I told, “No, Sir. I do like. But parents would be worried.” At this he bowed his head giving me silent leave to depart. I learnt later from a monk while at Advaita Ashrama, Kolkata that Swami Ijyananda Ji was especially devoted to the Holy Mother Sarada Devi and had written a letter to him wherein he had said, “I want to go to Mother. I am remembering Her very much.”

Swami Ijyananda lived for only a few more months after he had written thus.

On another occasion, seeing the biography of Swami Saradananda Ji by Swami Aseshananda Ji in my hands, he remarked twice about Pujaniya Sharat Maharaj or Saradananda Ji, “The ideal monk!”

f. Once when only the two of us were there in his office room, he suddenly addressed me in an excited voice, “See Mother, See Mother. Ma ke dekhar chesta kor. Once you see (have darshan) of Mother, your mind will no longer go after the half-naked forms of Hers roaming about the streets!”

g. Swami Ijyananda Ji more than once expressed the desire before Sadhan da to feed me with his own hands or perhaps to be more precise serve me food with his own hands. But that never came about. I was reluctant feeling I was not pure. But then even when the giver gives, destiny does not!

h. Once I sought to give some nirmali (consecrated flowers) to him. He said, “Keep it.” I said, “It is for you, Mrityunjaya Shiva puja nirmali.” At this he thundered, “We ourself are Mrityunjaya. We have conquered death!” He did keep the nirmali afterwards.

i. On more than one occasion he told me, “Your foundation is good. Only build up your health.”

j. When an elderly devotee was once saying something to him with great politeness and folded hands, he smilingly and gently remarked, “I have seen all. I now understand who is who. I have recognised you all for what you are!”

k. Once after Rama Nama Sankirtan in the Sri Ramakrishna temple, he stood with folded hands before the picture of Lord Rama for some time. Watching from a distance, I felt something which has remained imprinted upon my mind – perhaps I felt that that was what is known as devotion.

l. Some days before he passed away, I was standing looking at him when I felt that he was not of this earth.

m. He told me one day, “That boy with specs who comes with you. Take his company. He is a devotee.” I felt he was referring to Shri Khanindra Mozumder.

n. The last time I had his darshan, as I entered the ashrama and was walking towards Sri Ramakrishna temple, came the fickle-minded thought or wish, “how long will you live on old man (with regard to Swami Ijyananda)!” It was not intentional and I still regret it. Anyway, when I met him, he was talking with three elderly devotees. As I grew impatient, I recollected what Swami Ijyananda Ji had taught me, and thought or rather the thought came to me, “They also are like my father.” Immediately, Swami Ijyananda Ji left off talking with those gentlemen, glanced towards me with a smile and inquired gently, “Have you taken prasada?” A few days after this I heard on t.v. that Swami Ijyananda Ji had passed on. That was in June, 1998. Yesterday, i.e., on the 14th June, 2009, I met during lunch at the Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Guwahati, Sjt. Monmoth Deka (I am not sure about the spelling of his name), an elderly devotee now in the evening of his life, who was once regarded as Pujaniya Ijyananda Ji’s right-hand man. Deka uncle is an advanced spiritual aspirant, the depth of whose devotion we cannot gauge. I asked him whether he knew the year of Ijyananda Ji’s birth. He replied in the negative but informed me on my further query that Ijyananda Ji was 85 years old at the time of his passing away on the 28th June, 1998. He called me aside and after once again inquiring about my welfare told me the following: “I am very glad to see you. I had been wishing to meet you for some time. You have written about Ijyananda Ji. A copy of your write-up (my original composition of 2007) is with me. I liked your composition but have only one thing to tell. You have mentioned about me (see point ‘p’ below), about my paying an emotional tribute to Ijyananda Ji. I feel the word should be devotional and not emotional. Being emotional is very dangerous for a devotee. Devotees should eschew it. Emotion is transient and fleeting in nature, now present, now not. But devotion on the other hand leads Thakur Sri Ramakrishna to make you utter the right word. (With folded hands) Please think over this and tell me if I am wrong. Please I do not know anything. We are simple persons. You are so learned. Please tell me if I am wrong.” Further, “Some months before Ijyananda Ji’s passing away, I had the occasion to go with him to Kishanpur to attend the inauguration of the Sri Ramakrishna Temple there. Even before we set out, I felt in my heart that this was to be the last occasion in my life to journey together with a Mahapurusha like Ijyananda Ji. I am terming him as a Mahapurusha. For he was verily that. People misunderstood him, thought he was bad because of his show of anger. But those who were able to grasp his real nature know him to be so gentle and kind and compassionate. And an unerring judge of human nature. He would not easily give his certificate to anyone. Well, the Swami in-charge of the Kishanpur centre was once an inmate of the Guwahati ashrama. We covered the last 7 km to Kishanpur by horse driven cart. At Kishanpur many people approached me and inquired about Ijyananda Ji, ‘Who is that impressive sadhu?’ I replied that he was our Guwahati Maharaj. ‘Oh!’ They said, ‘he is so fierce and unapproachable.’ At this I told them, ‘Have you seen a coconut. It is very hard from the outside and very soft and tasty inside. Ijyananda Ji is like that.’ At this they all gathered around Ijyananda Ji Maharaj, sat round him and pressed him to say something. Ijyananda Ji then spoke of many things of deep spiritual import. We then went to Allahabad and visited Ijyananda Ji’s Gurudeva, Vijnanananda Ji’s ashram. Both of us bathed together at the Prayag or Triveni Sangam there. I myself bathed Ijyananda Ji on that occasion pouring water over him. Oh! The indescribable feeling as I did so. We went to Delhi also and because of not getting tickets we had to stay at the Delhi Ramakrishna Mission for 7 days. Overall what shall I say, how shall I describe those moments spent together with Ijyananda Ji.” Further, “Ijyananda Ji passed away on 28th June, 1998. On 27th June, when I went to make pranam to him, he told me about some pending works to be attended to. I then came out of his office room. But he followed me and catching hold of my arm dragged me back to his office room. There he addressed me thus, ‘Keep coming here always (to the Ashrama). If you do not come, with whom will I talk.’ Next morning when I went, he was no more.” Deka Uncle or khura next told me that he disliked praise, that praise was very dangerous. I agreed and told him of my experience with receiving praise which went to my head and harmed me immensely. As we walked together by the temple towards the office rooms, Deka khura said, “I am getting old. This body will fall one day soon. If I can pass away, depart taking Thakur’s Name, that will be good.” As we passed together by the sadhu’s quarters, Deka khura espied many of the sadhus sitting there and went up to them to make pranam to each and every one of them irrespective of their age and not minding the difficulty his aged body was posing to him in bowing down. The sadhus especially the old ones also love him, and one elderly sadhu told me to get an auto for him. However, as we neared the office, another old devotee met him and it was learnt that arrangement has been made to drop them by the Mission’s vehicle. Deka khura told me that formerly he used to walk from and back home, but now his body no longer permitted it. As I thought of having once seen him alight from a car, he immediately caught my thought wave and explained without my saying anything verbally that they had a car but there was no driver and that though his daughter who could drive sometimes brought him to the Mission, it was seldom as she had her office to attend to. Deka khura went on reminiscencing about Ijyananda Ji and said that Ijyananda Ji was a true sadhu and that he had read in the book series, Bharater Sadhaka that real sadhus were like him only, harsh from the outside, very soft hearted inside. The other old devotee said about Ijyananda Ji, “And he was so beautiful.” Deka khura told further about his Kishanpur trip with Ijyananda Ji. While at Kishanpur, when Ijyananda Ji sought to wash his clothes himself, a sadhu came and offered to wash them for him. At this Ijyananda Ji threw upon him so fierce a glance, that the sadhu hastily withdrew. Shri Sudip Raha babu told me later that once when Ijyananda Ji had gone to Belur Math, Revered Swapan Maharaj, the present Assistant Secretary of the Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Guwahati, was present there. Finding that Ijyananda Ji had gone to visit the temples, and noticing some clothes that were to be washed, he washed the clothes and hung them to dry. Returning from his visit, Ijyananda Ji seeing his washed clothes, demanded to know who had washed them. Swapan Maharaj said he had done so. At this Ijyananda Ji told him firmly, “There are many old monks in the Math. You go and do seva to them. I can do my own work.” Shri Rupak Chaudhuri also told me that even if Ijyananda JI was ill he would wash his own clothes. Shri Rupak also told me that he had once arm-wrestled with Ijyananda Ji Maharaj. I asked him who won. He smiled and remarked, “Ijyananda Ji, of course.” To return back to Deka khura, I told him of two dreams of mine, one concerning Ijyananda Ji (see point 38) and another dream where I had seen Gurudeva Bhuteshananda Ji entering with worship articles the Lotasil Ganesha temple in June 1996, and Deka Khura standing outside. Deka khura told me such dreams, seeing Mahapurushas, are very good. But that I should not reveal my dreams to anyone. Except the Guru and spiritually developed persons. He asked me if I had taken initiation from the Mission. I replied that I had initiation from Bhuteshananda Ji Maharaj. Deka khura then remarked, “Oh! The smile of Bhuteshananda Ji.” Then Deka khura told about the building of the present ashrama and temple. How Vireswarananda Ji, his Gurudeva had come in 1979 to inspect the weed-ridden land that was to be the site of the Ashrama, and had taken a chunk of the land back with him, etc. He mentioned that the foundation stone for the temple was laid on 25th November, 1982.

To be continued