Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: On Keeping Holy Company/Gopala Ma

Dear Tom,

Perhaps it is the way that Swami C. begins his biographical vignette that has led me to believe that
this relationship (between Bhavanath and Sri Ramakrishna) began in a different way than it ended.
I do not believe for a minute that Sri Ramakrishna ever cast Bhavanath - or anyone for that matter - from out of his heart!

This is the way it begins...

..."Sri Ramakrishna's grace was blowing over Bhavanath Chattopadhyay's life, but Bhavananth suddenly pulled down his sail, putting his spiritual journey in peril." p. 411, They Lived With God, Swami Chetanananda

My interepretation from this little bit that I have read is that it was a gradual and subtle drifting away. Still, the clues lead me to the feeling that Bhavanath did not have the "courage" to stand up to his family. I suppose my interpretation may be interpretated as speculation but so far it is how I see it. I don't really know enough about it though to make a strong statement. I am just basing my thoughts on a reaction to the current that seems to begin and end in the vignette. This relationship does puzzle me, though, and is very, very interesting...

Have a wonderful day. I couldn't sit down to read last night as I was at the computer again looking for fares and hotels to India. The idea of traveling alone does not appeal to me. Ironically, there is an AHAM Center (based on the teachings of Ramana Maharshi) who have an ashram based in Tiruvannamalai at the foot of the Holy Hill Arunachala. They made a pilgrimage in January of this year so I am assuming that they go to India on a yearly basis. Perhaps it would be possible for me to join them next year. That would certainly be ideal as the warnings about the possiblities of malarial disease and dysentery, etc have sort of scared me off. Still looking into it...

Yours in Mother's Grace,
Rosemary

PS. I forgot to tell you that I also have an Elvis impersonator who lives in the house behind me. He sometimes gives free concerts in his yard. I live in a very magical place.

Photobucket

I forgot to say that the AHAM Center in the US is located within driving distance from me in Asheboro, North Carolina. They also have an ashram in Tiruvannamalai.

Om Shanti Om

Hi Rosemary,

Regarding Bhavanath, Swami Chetanananda could have been referring to the fact that
Bhavanath had taken a wife; and the Master was probably hoping that the boy would
have adhered instead to the monastic life. Sri Ramakrishna always tried to save
'his boys' from the evils of the world; and must have felt very sad indeed, when one
of them succumbed to family pressures, and became a householder, rather than a celibate
monk.

Wow! You are really intent on traveling to India. When I visited that country in 1967,
I stayed with my wife's family in Jaipur, Ajmer & Bombay. They warned me NOT to drink
the water, which looked so cool and tempting in the large clay pots that were kept
in their homes. They insisted that I wait until they boil the water for my drinking
purposes. I was always thirsty, though; and made the cardinal mistake of drinking
the unboiled water. Amoebic dysentery was the violent result; which lasted for months
after our return to North America; eventually resulting in (I believe) a hernia,
ostensibly caused by all the forcing at stool. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

Om Shanthi Om

Dear Tom,

How horrible!! The little nasty bugs got you! At least you had your wife to help you get through it.
That is the thing--if one is traveling alone and the sickness jumps on you, well, it would be an even greater disadvantage than just being a "stranger in a a strange land." The travel advisors for South India do not advise to even drink the bottled water ...

"you must be careful to ensure that the bottles you purchase are properly sealed before you buy them ... if the cellophane seal is loose over the cap, insist on opening the bottle and sniff at the water, if there is any odour or there are bubbles visible then do not purchase the water - also, destroy the plastic bottles by crushing them after you have used them to prevent the locals from refilling them with tap water."

Water Warning

It seems that even Bhavanath Chattopadhyay contracted a parasitic disease in Bangladesh. The details seem vague from the biographical vignette in the book, but from what I can follow he died from the parasitic disease kalagaar. If you google this disease and look at the photos of the skin sores it sort of takes the breath away.

Okay, there is a plan B that has surfaced. I may be behind in the details of what is going on in the world of Vedanta in the West but I happened upon this website yesterday and it brought me to tears when I read that this place in New York was a residence where Swami Vivekanada spent time and was welcomed and also that the place, "Ridgely Retreat", was helped to be debt free by a generous bequest from Sister Gargi, well, when I read all of these matters it spoke to me deeply, so yesterday at work I took some breaks to look at travel possiblities for New York. It won't be easy to get there but the people there will meet you at the bus or train station and they seem very kind and welcoming. This website has a wonderful slide show which is capitoned with quotations by Swamiji and is highly recommended for perusal. I couldn't find the photo this morning but somewhere on the website under "links" there is a beautiful photo of a pine tree that had some meaning for Swamiji. This was another feature (in imagery) of Ridgely that seemed to pronounce my name. So, for now, a weekend retreat to Ridgely has been bumped up on my itinerary, God willing!

Ridgely Retreat

Yours in Mother's Grace,
Rosemary

Dear Rosemary,

RE: Amoebic Dysentery

Yes, it was horrible! Especially since I also caught a wicked cold as well.

And I agree that you would do well to find a traveling companion.

RE: Water bottles being re-used

Boiling is the only solution. A rolling-boil for three minutes will kill
the little suckers....hopefully..

You mentioned Kalagaar, which I Googled, but to no avail. Perhaps you meant
"Kala-Azar"? Here is a quote about that parasitic disease from "In The Company
Of The Holy Mother":

Holy Mother, besides suffering from rheumatism, which made her limp while walking,
frequently fell victim to malaria. In February 1920, as a result of illness, she bade
farewell to Jayrambati and came to Calcutta for treatment. The disease was diagnozed
as kala-azar, which at that time was considered incurable, Different physicians were
consulted, but the illness only became worse.

The Western term is Leishmaniasis. You may read about it HERE
Very nasty stuff indeed!

A weekend retreat to Ridgely sounds wonderful. Especially, if you can avoid driving
and take the train or bus instead. You may also find some compatible soul over there,
who would be willing to accompany you on your pilgrimage to Mother India!

Om Shanthi Om
=============

PS: If we wish to continue this conversation, I suggest that we start a new thread, since this one
is becoming a bit too long in the tooth :)

Dear Rosemary,

As Tom said, your typing is fine. No need for html.

As for spelling names and places associated with Sri Ramakrishna and Mother, even now i must double-check. :) I think it is because these are words we haven't heard (mucb if ever) in a language that is unfamiliar. I can tell you that simply "hearing" did not help me much because I "heard" in English. What did help is that I had the opportunity to learn the Sanskrit alphabet -- NOT the language, which takes years -- just the alphabet. This helped me hear the sounds as pronounced. But spelling, remembering, names and places is still challenging. I think Mother understands. :)