Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Happy Birthday Ankur ji

Dear Ankur,

You have spoken well. End the end, I believe that the great lesson is to learn to rely on God.

In the book "They Lived With God" I am surprised to see how many of the direct devotees of Sri Ramakrishna entered into marriage "against their will". I am not saying that this is your circumstance but (to me) it seems that the institution of marriage involves a certain karmic yoke or debt.

With hindsight, if I could go back and do it over again, the only thing that I would do differently would be to practice non-attachment and to strive to make my own self happy and to leave the problem of his happiness to himself. This does not mean that I would be selfish and really, the concept of non-attachment (to me) would preclude any vestige of "self"-ishness.

I found this passage in Sister Gargi's book "A Disciple's Journal". Although Swami Ashokananda is undoubtedly speaking of spiritual success in this life, still, this is good advice for all aspects of what we wake up to in this world.

I share the passage here:

November 13, 1953

Swami (to me, on his way out): You have to lift yourself by yourself. In the Gita it says that. (He quoted the verse in Sanskrit, then repeated it in English.) "Let a man be lifted by his own self: let him not lower himself; for he himself is his friend, and he himself is his enemy" You see, it is truth. Sri Krishna has said that. It is not just talk or a nice idea. It is true."

"A Disciple's Journal" by Sister Gargi, pp 103-104

Enjoy your day, Ankur

Your sister,
Rosemary