Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is "harsh"?

Thank you, Sister Jayanti. Your wisdom, shared here at the Courtyard, is very much appreciated by me.

I, too, have lost friends over my interest in Vedanta and the religions of the East. It is fear that makes the people who say they love us and espouse to be our "friends" to speak to us as they do. It is unfortunate, but how else can it be than that we should be allowed to have the freedom to be ourselves?

In my situation, I have become a sort of "closet" Hindu. My family is not even fully aware of my feelings and my interest in the teachings of Vedanta. I must keep it hidden or else be thrown out of the family. That is probably why I snapped that day. Every Sunday I have to hear a chronic haranguing about sin, repentance and deathbed salvation. According to them, good works mean nothing to God. I get so tired of it.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for replying.

Yours always in Mother's Grace,
Rosemary

Dear Rosemary,

RE: "... One wonders how Mother Teresa got to this point of emptiness."

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta answers the question herself with these quotes:

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is
the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence;
see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence
to be able to touch souls."
(Comment: There's not too much 'silence' in the slums
of Kolkata)

RE: "I heard her say to women to not have an abortion but to "bring your babies to me!"..."

Very noble and generous offer, no doubt...but also rather rhetorical in it's obvious
impracticality. Her suggestion implies that the women go full term; pay the medical costs
for delivery...and then, after a few months; buy air tickets, for both baby and mother,
to the ultimate destination of the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata. In the
real world, those things are just not gonna happen.

Dear Sister Jayanti,

So, it seems that your friend was simply following the instructions of her teacher.

My belief is that when 'teachers' impose those kind of restrictions on their students;
they are simply revealing their own lack of confidence in the 'soundness' of their own
beliefs; or, it could also be fear of the possibility of losing the student's financial
support.

It has been pounded into our Christian heads from an early age, that the only route
to Heaven is through Lord Jesus. It's very very difficult to shake that off...and
for that reason, we must be always understanding of others who express those fears;
however unreasonable they may appear to us. In my opinion, it is simply fear of the
unknown.

Bhagawan Sri Ramakrishna arrived on the scene; housed in the most incongruous of
places..... The Kali temple at Dakshineswar, with the frightful representation of
MahaKali Herself. That, in itself, holds enough terrors for the average Christian,
to keep them away from Vedanta for another hundred years...as sad as that may be.

RE: "So I have lots of practice at being condemned to hell"

It's a darn good thing that you don't believe in the existence of the place. :)

Again, all those prayers for you to 'walk', are part and parcel of the limiting
aspects of interpreting the Bible in the purely physical sense.

For instance, there are countless Christians who actually believe that Christ
'physically' multiplied the loaves and fishes, through His magical supernatural
powers.

However, we both know that the real 'miracle' of the loaves and fishes, was the
exhibition of selfless love, manifested through the new-found generosity of the
multitude; who graciously shared with the less-fortunate, the dried fish and bread,
which were hidden in the folds of their copious garments, wrapped in aromatic leaves.

Jesus convinced them to do that....and 'that' was the miracle. The object, is to
cut through the gross outer layers of these events, in order to understand what
actually happened.

Om Shanti Om
============

Thank you Sister Jayanti, Tom Ji, and Sister Rosemary for continuing this discussion which I have enjoyed following. I use the term ‘enjoy’ for what I read was of interest to me, though matters of deep and sad feelings being stirred were also discussed.

First of all, Tom Ji, thank you for your good wishes for my married life. I would like to add here that Swami Atmasthananda Ji led me to my Guru and has always been kind to me and has always replied to my many letters to him. So I know the type of reply he makes, they satisfy one. However, the communication I was referring to seemed not to ensue from him directly, hence the email to my friend.

Dear Sister Jayanti, yes, Sri Ramakrishna has given me a wise friend indeed. Someone who does again and again recall to my mind the Holy Trio (Ramakrishna, Sarada, Vivekananda) as well as Swami Bhuteshananda Ji, while keeping himself almost strictly in the background. Also, as Sister Rosemary rightly remarks, you are a blessing indeed to visitors to the Mother’s Courtyard. Thank you. What you wrote about Sister Rosemary talking back to her brother reminds me of the Sanskrit saying, ‘Satyam bruyat, priyam bruyat, Na bruyat satyam apriyam’, meaning speak the truth, speak what is pleasant, do not speak an unpleasant truth. That is practiced by many here. For words hurt more than blows, and since we have not the power to effect positive change by our words, not speaking an unpleasant truth seems the best course to follow. I have spent much energy in trying to ‘convince’ others, but to no lasting or even short-term effect. True conviction stems not from faith alone but from realization. And till we have realization, our conviction does not carry force.

Dear Sister Rosemary, even as I was writing the above came the thought, what is the use of this expressing. But then something is out from your heart and a mental exercise of recalling goodness, and reconfirming ‘convictions’ does take place. Then with regard to the question of harshness and the beloved daughter of Holy Mother, ‘Tantine’ or Josephine McLeod, let me share my belief in this regard. Great souls like Swami Ji have the hostile ego extinguished in them, and their character is totally selfless, something which one who has not reached that state cannot even imagine. It is futile to try to understand the actions and speech of God or His saints through the lens of our as yet imperfect understanding. It is said that Jesus once apologized to a women saint of His after putting her through some tribulation by telling her that, ‘this is the way I treat my friends.’ The saint was quick enough to reply to the Lord, ‘That is why you have so few friends!’ There is nothing but love in God, and nothing but love left in His saints. To even hear of their lives, to look at their pictures or to contemplate on their hearts makes one pure. I speak from experience. The above being so, what an immense blessing to receive a berating from such a one as Swami Ji. Tantine was a great soul and she could understand the blessings she received, and the greater the role a soul has to play, the greater his chastisement, a chastisement of love, with love, for love. If one can contemplate on this alone, one will attain to salvation, beautitude, or the Lord’s Holy Feet as one sees it. Sister Jayanti has had one such experience from the Swami. In the Swami’s case he was not aware, his striving to be pure soul was used as a conduit for Mother’s Grace to flow to Sister Jayanti. But the greatest of men are those who are great and know that they are great. Such was Swami Vivekananda. He was fully aware. Not for nothing did he say on the day of his passing away, ‘Only another Vivekananda will know what this Vivekananda has done.’

With lot of regards and pranam to all of you,

Ankur

Dear Ankur ji,

It is so nice to see you back in Mother's Courtyard.

I always get a lot of inspiration from your well-
thought out postings; and your excellent understanding
of the principles of Vedanta.

Please don't stay away so long next time!

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Dear Ankur, et al,

This is indeed an interesting discussion. Ankur, I agree with Tom ji, and I express my own sentiment that your remarks show great thought and understanding and that they give me inspiration.

It is interesting to note (before moving on) that Swamiji himself makes comment about his own "methods".

He says this by letter to Joe and it is written by Swamiji from California, dated April 18.

"I am so sorry Mr. Leggett resigned the presidentship. Well, I keep quiet for fear of making further trouble. You know my methods are extremely harsh, and once roused I may rattle Abhedananda too much for his peace of mind...You understand why I do not want to meddle with Abhedananda. Who am I to meddle with any, Joe? I have long given up my place as a leader--I have no right to raise my voice. Since the beginning of this year I have not dictated anything in India. You know that. Many thanks for what you and Mrs. Bull have been to me in the past. All blessings follow you ever!" p. 96, Tantine, Pravrajika Prabuddhaprana

This is also interesting from p. 94

"Mrs. Hansbrough later remarked about Joe: 'She set asider her superior airs when she was with us....And she never made the mistake of putting on airs with Swamiji. He often told her "where to get off" when she had a tendency to be too high-toned. But the only time I heard him speak sharply to her was before a class in the ballroom of the Green Hote. She was expressing an opinion as to what should be done aout some phases of his work, and he suddenly turned on her. "Keep quiet about what should be done."

No doubt, Joe was scold-proof by now. For so long, she had been nearest the Swami in situations of stress. Whatever he might say to her could not destroy her ecstatic mood, nor Betty's, from their constant association with him. Vivekananda once wrote to her: 'I can't even in imagination, pay the immense debt of gratitude I owe you. Wherever you are you never forget my welfar: and there, you are the only one who bears my burdens, all my brutal outbursts.' p. 94, Tantine

Heading to Amazon to order the Frances Leggett book.

Yours ever,
Rosemary

Photobucket

Dear Rosemary et al,

It seems that Swamiji saved much of his 'harshness' especially for "Tantine".....

....Which goes to prove again the old saying, "The wheel that squeaks gets the grease".

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Dear Tom, et al,

It is not my impression AT ALL that Swamiji picked on Josephine and I'm not sure if that is what you meant by "squeaking". My impression from my reading is that Swamiji loved her, that he was correcting her, and that there was a certain spiritual collaboration going on between them.

I've ordered my book, "Late and Soon" by Frances Leggett. It seems to be good primary resource material pertaining to Swamiji's time in America.

Also, I've been worried about my comment previously about making the quotes "before moving on". I don't want anyone to think that I meant I was tired of this conversation, I am not!! My intention was to put the "harshness" quotes in the proper spot.

Also, another interesting aside concerning the Leggett children as concerns Hollister Leggett...

p. 77, Tantine

"I don't want to be a monk: I want to marry and have children.' 'All right my boy,' the Swami replied, 'remember only that you choose the harder path.' Later in life, when Hollister was asked by his son, Paul, what he thought about life,liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and about God and the life after death, he said, 'Well, I never thought about it all but I know there is a God, because Swamiji told me so."

Back to work again....

Yours in Mother's Grace,
Rosemary

Brother Ankur, Yes, thank you for your beautiful post; and the quote by Swamiji.

Brother Tom, seems like you are still "defending" Swamiji against "ordinary ego-driven unkindness" while we are thinking him incapable of this. :)

Rosemary, you were able to order Late and Soon? It was out of print. It is written by the daughter of Francis Leggett and Betty MacLeod, Jo's sister. Though primarily from her life perspective, It does contain much about Swamiji and those who knew him. France was about 5 when Swamiji passed on. (I have a signed copy from her son. Perhaps I shall read it again.)

Dear Jayanti,

Yes, I was able to order it, though it was not that easy to find on Amazon. (As I said before, I am somewhat like Nancy Drew, and I have my methods).

It cost me $17.74 including shipping. I decided against the $93.00 collectible hardback version.

I am looking forward to receiving and reading Frances "version" of Swamiji. Even according to Joe, all versions are not the same.

Yours, as ever,
Rosemary

Dear Sister Jayanti, Rosemary et al,

Of course, Swamiji was not 'ego-driven'; and his 'unkindness' could only be perceived,
by thinking persons; as an attempt to ensure that aspirants stray not from the Vedantic
path. :)

All glory to Swamiji!

'Man's ego itself is MAYA. It is the veil that shuts the light. Verily, with the death of " I " all trouble ceases. If by the grace of lord a man once gains the knowledge that he is not the doer, then he assuredly becomes freed in this very life and transcends all fear.'

Sri Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsadeva

Om Shanthi Om

Dear Tom, et al,

I think it to be a very sweet commentary on their relationship, that in California, Swamiji allowed himself to be "torment"ed by a certain Mrs. Melton in whom Joe had great faith in as a "magnetic healer".

p. 86, Tantine

"These torments, Joe also submitted herself to, but was far more stoic about them than the Swami who wrote a letter to Mrs. Bull on December 22, 1899, in which he said his health had gone down recently, since his "'physician' had rubbed his body very hard so that several inches of skin had worn off and that he was still suffering from pain caused by manipulation."

On p. 88 we hear more about Swami's view of Mrs. Melton:

"The Swami wrote in a letter to Mrs. Bull dated December 27: 'Joe thinks she is pulling me up splendidly. On her has been worked a miracle, she claims. Whether it is magnetic healing, California ozone, or the end of the present spell of bad Karma, I am improving. It is a great thing to be able to walk three miles, even after a heavy dinner.'....

...'I bless Mrs. Melton, the magnetic healer, daily & only hope those I love--& hate?--may have the benefit of her power. But the Swami wrote to Mrs. Bull in March, 'With all Joe's enthusiasm, I have not yet found any real benefit from the magnetic healer, except a few red patches on my chest from scratching!"

The fee for the treatment was $3.00 per sitting, which was quite a lot in those days. But the Swami submitted himself to it for along time because he did not want to hurt Joe's feelings--after all, she was spending her last penny (or her sister's) on the hope that he would be cured. In April he informed her that he had given up hope of becoming well--though Magnetic Melton assured him that she would certainly cure him completely. After all, she said there was nothing wrong with him but indigestion." p 88, Tantine, Pravrajika Prabuddhaprana

Mrs. Melton is later sent for to join the Leggett party in Paris. Swamiji writes a very funny letter to Betty Leggett (who had to leave the Paris parlor parties in order to look for healing waters to heal the sore under her knee) which involves the tortures of Mrs. Melton. I will try to share some of that tomorrow.

The Leggetts certainly had a seemingly unending supply of money at their disposal.

Yours,
Rosemary

PS.

There was a nice sunset glow streaming on the Palace yesterday, and I had great fun taking photos...

Photobucket

Dear Rosemary et al.

Poor Swamiji! Having his body rubbed so hard, so that several inches of
skin had worn off. Truly, there is no end to our troubles; when we place
ourselves into the hands of well-meaning but incompetent healers.

Mrs. Melton's story reminds me of a one-legged former garment presser that
I met some 25 years ago. He told me the tale of how he had complained to his
wife of a pain in his leg...and she proceeded to vigorously rub and manipulate
the affected limb; and then soaked it in a very hot bath of Boric acid and water.

Unfortunately, the leg became infected, with a form of flesh-eating disease,
necessitating amputation. If only he would have suffered the pain, without
complaining...he would probably still have his leg!

Perhaps Swamiji thought the same thing, after "Tantine" arranged for
his 'treatment'. The next time she inquired about his health, he would
swiftly reply with, "Never felt better".

Yes, the Leggetts certainly seemed to be well-heeled.

Very nice photo of the sunset glow streaming on the Palace...

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Dear Tom,

That is so funny. I'll have to remember not to complain about anything!!

Tonight I have been reading through some of the letters of Swamiji (while trying to find this letter below, re: Mrs. Melton in Paris). I am feeling some contradiction in Swamiji, perhaps it isn't contradiction so much, but it is the only word that I can think of to cover my feeling.

It seems to me that people wear him out. Sometimes, he says he just wishes he were somewhere deep in the Himalayas, and once he told his devotees that he wanted to make money so that he could maintain a cabin in the Himlayas. That was while he was still in America. It seems to me that he got tired or something. I'm not really sure, nevertheless, if he is like me, then people would wear him out, and perhaps I am just projecting!!!

To Mrs. Francis Leggett

6 PLACE DES ETATS UNIS, PARIS,
3rd Sept., 1900.
DEAR MOTHER,
We had a congress of cranks here in this house.
The representatives came from various countries, from India in the south, to Scotland in the north, with England and America buttressing the sides.
We were having great difficulty in electing the president, for though Dr. James (Professor William James) was there, he was more mindful of the blisters raised on him by Mrs. Melton (probably a magnetic healer) than solution of world problems.
I proposed Joe (Josephine MacLeod), but she refused on the ground of non-arrival of her new gown — and went to a corner to watch the scene, from a coign of vantage.
Mrs. (Ole) Bull was ready, but Margot (Sister Nivedita) objected to this meeting being reduced to a comparative philosophy class.
When we were thus in a fix — up sprung a short, square, almost round figure from the corner, and without any ceremony declared that all difficulties will be solved, not only of electing a president but of life itself, if we all took to worshipping the Sun God and Moon God. He delivered his speech in five minutes; but it took his disciple, who was present, fully three quarters of an hour to translate. In the meanwhile, the master began to draw the rugs in your parlour up in a heap, with the intention, as he said, of giving us an ocular demonstration of the power of "Fire God", then and there.
At this juncture Joe interposed and insisted that she did not want a fire sacrifice in her parlour; whereupon the Indian saint looked daggers at Joe, entirely disgusted at the behaviour of one he confidently believed to be a perfect convert to fire worship.
Then Dr. James snatched a minute from nursing his blisters and declared that he would have something very interesting to speak upon Fire God and his brethren, if he were not entirely occupied with the evolution of Meltonian blisters. Moreover his great Master, Herbert Spencer, not having investigated the subject before him, he would stick to golden silence.
"Chutney is the thing", said a voice near the door. We all looked back and saw Margot. "It is Chutney," she said, "Chutney and Kali, that will remove all difficulties of Life, and make it easy for us to swallow all evils, and relish what is good." But she stopped all of a sudden and vehemently asserted that she was not going to speak any further, as she has been obstructed by a certain male animal in the audience in her speech. She was sure one man in the audience had his head turned towards the window and was not paying the attention proper to a lady, and though as to herself she believed in the equality of the sexes, yet she wanted to know the reason of that disgusting man's want of due respect for women. Then one and all declared that they had been giving her the most undivided attention, and all above the equal right, her due, but to no purpose. Margot would have nothing to do with that horrible crowd and sat down.
Then Mrs. Bull of Boston took the floor and began to explain how all the difficulties of the world were from not understanding the true relation between the sexes. She said, "The only panacea was a right understanding of the proper persons, and then to find liberty in love and freedom in liberty and motherhood, brotherhood, fatherhood, Godhood, love in freedom and freedom in love, in the right holding up of the true ideal in sex."
To this the Scotch delegate vehemently objected and said that as the hunter chased the goatherd, the goatherd the shepherd, the shepherd the peasant, and the peasant drove the fisher into the sea, now we wanted to fish out of the deep the fisher and let him fall upon the peasant, the peasant upon the shepherd, and so on; and the web of life will be completed and we will be all happy. He was not allowed to continue his driving businesss long. In a second everyone was on his feet, and we could only hear a confusion of voices — "Sun God and Moon God", "Chutney and Kali," "Freedom holdings up right understanding, sex, motherhood", "Never, the fisherman must go back to the shore", etc. Whereupon Joe declared that she was yearning to be the hunter for the time and chase them all out of the house if they did not stop their nonsense.
Then was peace and calm restored, and I hasten to write you about it.

Yours affly.,

VIVEKANANDA

Tonight's scene on the bank of the Trent River (facing West, as Swamiji standing in my dream of him)

Photobucket

Dear Rosemary,

As we know, Swamiji was suffering from Asthma, diabetes and other physical
ailments, and that could have explained his frequent bouts of fatigue.

Insulin was not discovered before his death i.e., in 1902

Here are the symptoms of Diabetes:

*Frequent urination
*Excessive thirst
*Extreme hunger
*Unusual weight loss
*Increased fatigue
*Irritability

*Blurry vision

I read that letter to Mrs. Francis Leggett, and noticed that Professor William
James also had blisters, due to Mrs. Melton's kindly ministrations.

Interesting to also note that "Joe" refused the presidency on the ground of non-arrival
of her new gown...

Then we have Nivedita: "Chutney and Kali, that will remove all difficulties of Life,
and make it easy for us to swallow all evils, and relish what is good."

What a meeting that must have been!

Another lovely photo of the bank of the Trent River...

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Dear Tom,

Yes, it is the sense that I am getting that he was physically "going down". This is part of what I am trying to put together and some of what he said and what others around him also said is a small source of complexity for synthesizing my assessment and my perceptions surrounding his life.

For instance, I remember that Holy Mother said that he suffered from a malady with his urine (which would be completely in line with diabetes). Still, in my experience with relatives (two first cousins) who suffer with diabetes, and even with the use of insulin, they are constantly battling with necrosis of the feet. One of the cousins had to have a foot removed and I don't recall that Swamiji had any issues with his feet. Last night, I read about him looking at the soles of his feet for signs of circular patterns which would indicate a tendency for a vagabond nature, but all he found were cracks on the bottom of his feet (a vitamin deficiency?) Also, with severe diabetes, he would have had to have some visual issues, which so far, I haven't encountered in any of my reading. Mrs. Melton said that "indigestion" was his only trouble, and somewhere else, I read something about "kidney" troubles. Also, I read recently on the Internet, the assertion that Swamiji died of apoplexy.

Sri Ramakrishna said that Swamiji would have the ability to give his body up at will. During his visit in Kashmir, Swamiji had an experience in a temple of the Divine Mother where he received direct assurance that when he was ready, he would be able to give his body up at will.

In the book about Tantine, I am now embarking on a journey with Tantine, Swamiji, and some contemporary notables of the time. Right now, we are on the Orient Express and we are heading to Egypt and the Holy Land. I must admit to having read ahead in the book and I know already that Swamiji abruptly cuts his trip short and tells the rich and exuberant ladies that he wants to go back to India--he wants to die and he wants to be with his brethren.

While in America, he wants money to maintain a cottage in the Himalayas, and not long after, while traveling to Egypt, he wants to die. There is a point in between where I recall him saying that he has realized that he is never going to get better.

Really, all of this doesn't matter or amount to anything really. Swamiji wanted to die on the 4th of July, and he did so. There is a great message in the date that he chose. Is that message the message of freedom??

Yours,
Rosemary

Photobucket

Dear Rosemary,

Re: "I don't recall that Swamiji had any issues with his feet"

Well, he was a rather young man, and kept his weight under control....plus, he
had scrupulously clean habits. My eldest daughter is an Endocrinologist. She
would know a lot more than me about those things.

Swamiji's wish to give up his body on the Great American Holiday,
is very much in keeping with his opinion about the country, as is illustrated
in these quotes:

"Yesterday Mrs. Johnson, the lady superintendent of the women's prison, was here.
They don't call it prison but reformatory here. It is the grandest thing I have
seen in America. How the inmates are benevolently treated, how they are reformed
and sent back as useful members of society; how grand, how beautiful, you must see
to believe! And, oh, how my heart ached to think of what we think of the poor,
the low, in India. They have no chance, no escape, no way to climb up."

"There is a curiosity in this nation, such as you meet with nowhere else. They want
to know everything, and their women— they are the most advanced in the world. The
average American woman is far more cultivated than the average American man. The men
slave all their life for money, and the women snatch every opportunity to improve
themselves. And they are a very kind-hearted, frank people. Everybody who has a
fad to preach comes here, and I am sorry to say that most of these are not sound.
The Americans have their faults too, and what nation has not? But this is my summing
up: Asia laid the germs of civilization, Europe developed man, and America is
developing the woman and the masses. It is the paradise of the woman and the labourer.
Now contrast the American masses and women with ours, and you get the idea at once.
The Americans are fast becoming liberal. Judge them not by the specimens of
hard-shelled Christians(it is their own phrase) that you see in India. There are those
here too, but their number is decreasing rapidly, and this great nation is progressing
fast towards that spirituality which is the standard boast of the Hindu."

I remember reading somewhere of Swamiji's impressions when he visited Ellis Island
near NYC. He noticed how downcast the immigrants looked when they came off the boat;
and yet, in a few short weeks, they walked with new spring in their step, shoulders
back, and head held high. God Bless America!

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Dear Tom,

I am not a Doctor, and your daughter would know whether or not diabetes could kill you before it got your feet. I just know my two cousins (luckily on opposite sides of the family, and inherited through the opposite parents from my nuclear family)have both got extreme feet trouble, and they are clean and that it started young, and with insulin to boot!!

Also, I had a friend in grade school that had diabetes and his was childhood-onset, and he would go into diabetic comas and stuff. I just don't recall that Swamiji went into comas.

Of course, he did go in to at least two very deep trances that I have read about thus far. One time it was at Camp Percy while he was meditating under a tree, and Joe thought he was dead and ran to get help. It took a few minutes for him to rouse up, but he was unresponsive long enough to alarm Joe.

I went in to a coma once when I was 5 years old. I don't remember it and didn't know about it until I read it in my medical chart. My Mom couldn't wake me up, and she carried me to the hospital where they stuck pins in my feet. Somehow, I eventually came out of it.

Since I have been wrong enough times in my life, I never try to belabor a point and say that I am right anymore. These are just my own discriminative skills which might be proven wrong under any star or any juncture of time.

Still, I think you are right that Swamiji just didn't feel good after or perhaps even during, his second trip to America.

I'm looking forward to receiving my new book on the Leggett family, but this book on Tantine is keeping me mesmerized!!

It's cold here today and the pollen and white tree blossoms are flying around thick enough to look like it's snowing. We're all sneezing and have sinus headaches, too.

Yours,
Rosemary

Dear Rosemary,

Like I mentioned, I don't know much about Diabetes. Firstly, I don't even
know whether Swamiji had 'type 2' Diabetes, or childhood onset.

Then again, I don't think that they knew too much about the disease,
before the discovery of insulin.

Here is a pertinent quote:

"Before the discovery of insulin, diabetes was a feared disease that most
certainly led to death. Doctors knew that sugar worsened the condition of diabetic
patients and that the most effective treatment was to put the patients on very
strict diets where sugar intake was kept to a minimum. At best, this treatment
could buy patients a few extra years, but it never saved them. In some cases,
the harsh diets even caused patients to die of starvation."

More information HERE

You may listen to a radio interview with my daughter, by searching (without quotes)
the following phrase, "Dr. Lipscombe discusses diabetes and women"; on the following page:
www.womenscollegehospital.ca/news/wch-in-the-media.html
and then by clicking on the audio link.

Interesting you note Swamiji's deep trances, possibly being attributed to Diabetic
coma. Anything is possible.

That is an amazing story, about how you went into an unexplained coma at the age
of five. That must have really scared your parents.

Regarding the pollen and white tree blossoms flying around....I don't suffer from
allergies, but I know people who do; and it's a serious problem. My late father
used to have 'hay fever', though.

Om Shanthi Om
=============

Here is an easier way to access the radio interview
with my daughter, entitled: "Dr. Lipscombe Discusses
Diabetes and Women" (as mentioned in the previous posting).

Simply click on the banner below: