Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Letters of Sister Nivedita - Vol II"

Thank you,Sister Jayanti. This message means a lot to me, as it sounds just as if it came from Swamiji himself....you do say things so well!

Here is a rather pretty letter to Jo Jo.

All 3 women, Josephine, Sara, and Margot, all had a very forthright and beautiful way of speaking in their letter writing.

Somehow, I cannot ever see these three women as being separated...

This letter written from ship, in March--2 months after Sara Bull's passing away...

"The Letters of Sister Nivedita", p 1188, edited by Mr. Basu

To Mrs.J. MacLeod

P.& O.S.N. Co.
SS
Friday afternoon

Beloved Yum,

It is 3 in the afternoon--cold--the sea quiet--and the coast of Italy fading out of view--and all I can think of, in the Europe we are leaving, is you and all your sweetness and goodness. This is terrible attachment! I am trying to follow your acts and plans...

...One knows so exactly what you think on almost every subject, that there seems no reason much, for writing letters. And yet--and yet--one's heart clings so! And I could break down and cry like a child, at being alone! There's strength for you! ...I'm just going to trust--trust--trust--and be silent. Isn't it true that oly 20 years of solitude in a cave, could wipe out all these impressions of nervous attachment, and make one really free and self-sufficient? But even then, it would not be so, unless in that solitude, one had plunged all the time into Brahman! In that infinite realisation, one could be ever blissful."

Siva! Siva!

Beautiful indeed.

I should have named this thread "The Refiners' Fire" as that indeed was the state of Nivedita's life after 1911. This book is checked out until December 31, 2011. I could not find a way to purchase it in the States, unusual, I think...

however, here is something Nivedita said in a letter to Mrs. Ole Bull (Saint Sara) on Augut 11, 1910, and I think it has something to do with faith and patience...

The Letters of Sister Nivedita, by Mr. Basu, p 1130

" I am so glad you care for Dr. Cheyne's letter. I think that that one has extraordinary value, in which he sums up the facts about the Christian story. You see, he is not even sure that Christ came to a violent end. Did I tell you that someone came to me and brought me the missing word from Swamiji's Dream off Crete? It was Essence from Isha-niya, belonging to God or Dedicated. I always believed that it was extant somewhere and would come to me and it did."

Siva. Siva.

On difference in personalities

Letters, ibid, p. 1137

To Josephine MacLeod August 25, 1910

"Strangers may say and feel anything they like about me. I am absolutely indifferent. It is all very well for you. In your freedom, you can afford to cultivate this social sweetness. But in my battle for life, if I had looked at it your way, I should have been lost. No! No! Both types have their uses, and the constant fear of hurting that is to prevent your clearly defining your own position and idea, is not the virtue in one that it may be in another. So you see I am unconverted still--and it's not worth while to try to better me! You love everyone perhaps--but there are many whom I very frankly loathe and despise. Nor shall I ever think it a virtue to try to conceal this! Nor are people of that type so sensitive as you think. At least that is my conviction."

I wonder if Nivedita means of Jo Jo's "freedom" that she is talking of her material riches. There is a different kind of freedom when one is wealthy. Nivedita talks of her "battle" in life (as opposed to Jo Jo's freedom). Poverty is a struggle and brings a different outlook in the social realm.

Is this what she means, I wonder? I think so.

Siva.Siva.

Re: On difference in personalities

Poverty does bring an inherent "battle" to living. Wealth does "afford" an inherent "freedom". I really think this is what Nivedita meant. Even though poverty is considered a virtue in the spiritual realm, the lack of money hindered Nivedita in her work. The generosity of her friends bonded her to them, especially to Mrs. Ole Bull and to Josephine MacLeod via Mr. Leggett (I think.)

Siva Siva

A visit to Holy Mother

Aut 11, 1909

"We saw Swamiji's brother, eldest, just before Christine left. He was looking grand. Such a change has come over the country. All call themselves disciples of Swamiji. He, amongst the number!!! The other day I said to the Holy Mother, "The time is very near that was promised by S.R.K. when you should have too many children. The whole of India is yours!" She answered, "I am seeing it!"

Letters of Sister Nivedita, Vol II, p 995
Mr. Basu

"Oneness that embraces all phenomena"

to Alice Longfellow, from Calcutta, Sept 5, 1911

"Swamiji would say, there could indeed be no conduct if life without standards. But by severe self-discipline of all these standards, we acquire power to turn away from life and realize the Oneness that embraces all phenomena."

Letters of Sister Nivedita, p. 1233, Mr. Basu

Discouragement, Aug 16, 1911

To Miss J MacLeod, Aug 16, 1911

Oh Yum, I would be glad to die. Life has in many ways been such a failure, and I cannot feel that I am really essential to the Women's Education--and yet, as long as I live, and we are not rich enough to separate, I have to be counted. Everything would it seems to me go better, if I could be left out! Only one or two books remain...
...I dread outliving everyone I care for. Of course it would be different if one could realise the golden aspirations of 1898--and live in a cell. But even then--and it seems impossible to attain, nor does one seem commonly worthyo fo the chance--oen could write no more and teach no more!"

Letters of Sister Nivedita, Vol II, pp 1223, Mr. Basu

"Tempest in a Teacup"

To Miss J MacLeod

Brooklyn
Monday morning
Dec. 19, 1910

"...I suppose I have really made a tempest in a tea cup about S. Sara's notions and Mrs. Brigg's influence. The whole world is a criss-cross of psychic desires and intentions, and we wade knee-deep through it all the time. I think there is perhaps a certain truth in it, and yet it is not so important as I felt it while I was writing to you. Mrs. Hellyer's view is just, too. And the actual danger of death or insanity is proably non-existent. I want to be sane. At the same time, the experience was a very real one and the horror overwhelming. The net result is an echo of Swamiji "give up this Maya! Seek to reach Mukti!" Let them settle it as they will--let Psychic influences fight it out amongst them. There is only one salvation, and that is Mukti. There is only one way to help--and that is to reach it!"

Letters of Sister Nivedita, pp 1170 - 1171, edited by Mr. Basu

Re: "Tempest in a Teacup"

TERRIBLY, WONDERFULLY, PRACTICALLY TRUE LETTER. THANK YOU, SISTER FOR SHARING.