Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
03-December-2011 (Saturday) : Thought for the Day!!!

03-December-2011 (Saturday)
Thought for the Day!!!

Today Swami Premanandaji's birthday tithi is being celebrated... How much Mother loved her Baburam... Salutations to this son of Holy Mother who was personification of Divine Love... A Premananda in the true sense...

"Baburam was dearest to my heart. The strength, devotion, rationality and all the great virtues were embodied in him. He was the very light of the Belur Math.

"Ah, my dear Baburam came to Sri Ramakrishna while he was a mere boy. Sri Ramakrishna used to make great fun with the boys. Naren (Swami Vivekananda) and Baburam would roll on the ground with side-splitting laughter. While living in the Cossipore garden, I was once climbing the steps, carrying a pitcher with five pounds of milk. I felt giddy and the milk spilt on the ground. My heels were dislocated. Naren and Baburam came running there and took care of me. There was a great inflammation of the feet. Sri Ramakrishna heard of the accident and said to Baburam, 'Well, Baburam, it is a nice mess I am now in. Who will cook my food? Who will feed me now?' He was then ill with cancer in the throat and lived only on farina pudding. I used to make it and feed him in his room in the upper storey of the house. I had, then, a ring on my nose. Sri Ramakrishna touched his nose and made the sign of the ring by describing a circle with his finger, in order to indicate me. He then said, 'Baburam, can you put her (making the sign) in a basket and carry her on your shoulder to this room?' Naren and Baburam were convulsed with side-splitting laughter. Thus he used to cut jokes with them. After three days the swelling subsided. Then they helped me to go upstairs with his meals.

"Baburam used to tell his mother, 'How little you love me! Do you love me as Sri Ramakrishna does?' 'How foolish!' she would reply, 'I am your mother, and I do not love you! What do you mean?' Such was the depth of Sri Ramakrishna's love. While four years old, Baburam would say, 'I will not marry, or else I will die.' When Sri Ramakrishna was suffering from cancer in the throat and could not swallow his food, he said one day, 'I shall eat later on in my subtle body through a million mouths.' Baburam, replying, said 'I do not care for your million mouths or your subtle body. What I want is that you should eat through this mouth and that I should see this gross body.' "

The Gospel of the Holy Mother - FIRST SERIES - (RECORDED BY SARAYUBALA DEVI) : P 40 - 42

Also a treat for devotees to take darshan of revered Baburam Maharaj's birthplace....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL53ZPyCj4o

Re: 03-December-2011 (Saturday) : Thought for the Day!!!

Namaste!

This is our Daily Sri Ramakrishna Quote:

Excerpted from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna p.131

Saturday 3/12/11

The Master Said:

"MAyA is nothing but 'woman and gold'.
A man living in its midst gradually loses his spiritual
alertness. He thinks all is well with him.
The scavenger carries a tub of night-soil on his head,
and in course of time loses his repulsion to it.
One gradually acquires love of God through
the practice of chanting God's name and glories."

om tat sat

~~~~~~ om shanthi om~~~~~~

100 Sri Ramakrishna Quotes Sorted by Topic

27 Quotes on BHAKTI - DEVOTION - LOVE
20 Quotes on the REALIZATION OF BRAHMAN - GOD
19 Quotes on KALI, THE DIVINE MOTHER - MAHASHAKTI
7 Quotes on KNOWLEDGE
6 Quotes on WORK
6 Quotes on SIN
6 Quotes on TRUTH
5 Quotes on PHYSICIANS - MEDICINE
4 Quotes on MAyA (attachment) & DaYA (compassion)

-

The video was a wonderful gift, especially at this time as we Westerners begin to prepare for the Christmas tide. Thank you so much, Brother Satwik.

I was looking for a reference in Letters of Sister Nivedita that might allude to Swami Premananda. When I went to the index, it turns out that (lo and behold) my book was already book marked on the page that is the only reference to him in the book. It must mean something, so I post it here...

"Letters of Sister Nivedita: Vol II", pp 590-591, Mr. Basu

(To Josephine Macleod, November 23, 1903, written from 17 Bose Para Lane, Bagh Bazaar, Calcutta)

"Is it true that you grow stronger? I am so thankful. Your letters from Italy sound as if you took more joy than usual in place, and truly the name sounds worth it. I wonder what things you are going to see. I always imagine that Assissi is the one place in Europe where I should find a refuge in the very air. But I know that they say it is all dust--I wonder if you are to be there.

I broke off this letter to go with Chr. and Bet to 57. I end it therefore after the Salutation to the Saints.

Ever lovingly,
Your Margot

Swami Brahmananda is there--also Gopaler-Ma, Jogin-Ma and Premananda's mother."

Siva. Siva.

No wonder, Sister Rosemary, such instances have happened with me too... So nice of you sharing this wonderful passage from Sister Nivedita's letters..