Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 03-January-2012 (Tuesday) : Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

I have often wondered about this question: if Sarada Devi was indeed the Mother of the Universe, then who was Radhu? I must ask to be excused on how silly this question must sound, but it is only a plain seeker's question. I already know the pat answers to this question, though.

It has occured to me on many occassions that Radhu may have suffered from autism, this being based on Radhu's extreme sensitivity to sound. This type of sensitivity is a basic symptom of autism.

In the past 10 days, my sister has endured three major surgeries on her stomach. She has not had any nutrition--- possibly for the last full year, and she has been reduced to skin and bones (as described by the Swami above.) On Friday, the Surgeon, with all of the family in attendance in the ICU room, told my sister that she "wasn't going to make it." We ran the surgeon down afterwards and asked to move her to a University Hospital for a second opinion. On Friday night, the attending surgeon (obviously by his accent he was a brother from India) called to tell us that she would be just fine!! They could help her!!

It is my 85 year old mother, in constant attendance of waiting in surgery waiting rooms, who is looking worn down. When I asked Mother if she shouldn't go back home to rest she replied, "I will stay here. I would walk through hell to help her."

Thanks for letting me talk out my mind here.

Sweet pranams at Holy Mother's feet.
Rosemary

Dear sister Rosemary,
Your message really moved me. My prayers to the Holy Feet of Maa that let your sister recover soon.

As regards, who was Radhu? The only answer comes to my mind that she was none other than the Maya that bound Maa to this world to bless her numerous children. Thakur had shown to Holy Mother, pointing at Radhu, that this girl was to be Her prop to live in the world to carry out Thakur's work...
Regards,
Satwik

Although it is 100% correct, that Radhu's purpose in life, as a manifestation of Maya,
was to keep the Holy Mother functioning on the physical plane; I believe that Rosemary
may have been inquiring as to the difference between Holy Mother and Radhu, who were both
manifestations of the Divine Mother......

Sri Ramakrishna answers the question here:

“God has granted more power to some than to others. In one there is the light of a single earthen lamp, while in another it is a blazing torch. I recognized Vidyasagar’s limit of intelligence from one of his remarks. I could see how far his intelligence went. When I told him that there was a special manifestation of God’s power in some, Vidyasagar said, ‘Sir, do you mean that He has granted more power to one and less to another?’ I immediately replied, ‘Indeed, it is so! Had there not been more power in one and less in another, why would you have become famous? It is when I heard of your learning, your charitable disposition and so forth that I came to see you. Of course, you have not grown two horns!’ So learned, so famous is Vidyasagar to have said something so childish as: ‘Has He granted more power to one and less to another?’ You know how it is? The bigger fish like trout and carp are first to get caught in the net. Then the fisherman stirs the mud with his feet and minnows, mud fish and other small fish emerge and get caught in no time. If one has not realized the Lord, ‘minnow and mud fish’ come out of him. What does mere learning avail one?”

From: Section VIII - Sri Ramakrishna at Dakshineswar Temple with Devotees - Chapter I

PS: I am happy that your sister's health has improved....

Jai Ma!

It really impressed me that even though there was a man at Mother's feet who was probably experiencing the highest spiritual experience of his life and yet Mother's eyes were fixed upon Radhu's emaciated body!

Could it be that we are all Radhu? I certainly feel like the troublesome child sometimes yet Mother is always fixed and concerned.

There are so many layers of meaning to this one story and one could look at it over and over and see so many things. The story has generated so much thought in my mind, especially since it applies to my personal life right now.

Many of my sister's physical troubles were brought on by herself--actually a direct result of gastric bypass (stomach stapling) about 15 years ago--and indirectly a result of a poor body image.

But Mother does not care how our body looks!! Indeed, the author of this story saw Mother's physical body change right before his eyes!!

There are so many lessons for me in this story.

Siva Siva

Very true, sister Rosemary... Everytime I read this story I always find some new revelation... Really appreciate your point: "Could it be that we are all Radhu? I certainly feel like the troublesome child sometimes yet Mother is always fixed and concerned."

Jai Maa!!!

What I'm amazed at is Radhu's reaction after Mother passed away. The monks were trying to make arrangements to care for this "troublesome child" when Radhu basically says, "Why are you worried? Do you not know who my aunt was? She has done everything for me."

(I do not have access to the quote just now.)

It's as if Radhu knew all along. Perhaps she was just playing her part.

Thakur had indicated that Radhu was also a part of Mahamaya who had come to bind Maa to continue on her earthly journey for the sake of numerous sons and daughters... what an amazing lila of Thakur and Maa... Pranaam...

There is also the idea or understanding that an incarnation brings with him or her all the necessary characters to complete their play on earth. I've often thought that Judus was an important character in the Christian drama...

Had Mother's life been more "ideal", would she have been a role model?

That's so odd that you mention Judas. I have been thinking of Sri Ramakrishna's nephew, Hriday, who took such good care of Sri Ramakrishna for so long.
Thinking about Hriday makes Judas Iscariot more real to me, because I know how Sri Ramakrishna loved him
and how devoted Hriday was to the Master. Hriday made a terrible mistake and it affected him for the rest of his life. This reminds me of Judas Iscariot and it makes the scenario and the feeling around Jesus much more real to me.