Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
13-January-2012 )Friday) : Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

13-January-2012 (Friday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

SWAMI SARADESHANANDA-10

Everyday after her morning worship, Mother used to have a drink prepared with sugar candy that had been offered to the Master. This had always been her practice. This drink, the principal item of breakfast for her, was considered adequate to avoid the ill effects of abstinence from food. After this negligible intake, Mother would serve breakfast to her sons. I still recall that sweet summons at Jayrambati, “Son, the day has advanced, come and have something thing to eat.” The call still seems to ring in my ears, and I get nostalgic. How I yearn to fly like a bird there, to that veranda, where having spread a mat and placed before it a glass of water and bowl of bell metal with puffed rice and molasses in it, along with fruits and sweets from Master’s prasad on a leaf, Mother sits waiting, her loving eyes watching the door anxiously like a cow awaiting her calf. But those happy days will certainly never return. Such love of a mother can never be found anywhere, even if one searches all the world over. After her boys had had their breakfast and the women too had eaten, Mother herself used to have a little to eat. She would give away the fruits and sweets brought by devotees to others, herself tasting just a little of it. A small quantity of puffed rice sufficed as her refreshment in the morning. Later, having lost her teeth, she could not chew. So holding come puffed rice inside one end of her sari, she used to grind it with a pestle while the woman from Nabasan (a nearby village), who served her, gave her some salt and green chillies to eat it with.

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 27-28)