Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
25-January-2012 (Wednesday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

25-January-2012 (Wednesday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

SWAMI SARADESHANANDA-22

When Mother’s new house was built at Jayarambati, the village panchayat had levied a chowkidari-tax on it, and in the first year, in Mother’s absence, Brahmachari Jnanananda had paid four rupees as the annual tax. The following year Mother was at Jayarambati when the tax collector came. She ordered the attendant-son (the author himself) to take steps to obtain exemption from paying the tax. Mother said to him, “Now I am here and I may somehow pay tax, but the sannyasins and brahmacharinis who will live here after me, might even have to beg their food. How will they pay tax? Try to get exemption from the tax.” She took the initiative in having a letter written to the President of the Union Board on her behalf and sent the son to deliver the letter2 to him. Though the tax for that year had to be paid, there was an assurance of exemption being granted the following year. Mother’s timely reminder in that year succeeded in putting an end to the matter.

2 The letter written to Prabodh Chandra Chattopadhyay in this regard (UDB, vol 80, p. 228):

Salutations to the Guru
Jayrambati
1324 [BS], 5 Chaitra

Blessings, followed by message –
Dear Son,

Perhaps you are aware that a chowkidari-tax of four rupees has been levied on our house. Considering this excessively high, I had sent Sriman Gopesh (Swami Saradeshananda) to Shambhu Babu with a letter saying that since the house has been declared to be Debottar property, I am not really concerned with it; also, I am not a permanent resident here. There is no income from the house and the sannyasin and brahmacharin attendants who will live here later will not be maintained by this establishment. In these circumstances, it is impossible to bear this heavy burden. By God’s grace, I myself somehow manage with whatever devotees give me. There is no income and so on.

In reply Shambhu Babu has said that he had told you earlier to send a petition to the District Magistrate. I don’t know what action you have taken in this connection. I hope you will attend to the matter at once and take such action as you deem fit. Shambhu Ray has instructed us that it must be mentioned in the petition that this is a religious institution dependant on donations from kind devotees for its maintenance, having no income of its own. All is well here and I convey my blessings to you.

Yours Mother

On the other side of the letter Swami Saradeshananda had written at Mother’s behest: “Immediately after reading out the letter to Mother she said, “You must take steps to stop the tax without fail.” (UDB, Vol. 83, p. 591)

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 36-38)

Re: 25-January-2012 (Wednesday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

This is very interesting. Mother seems to have had a mind for details and forethought. In this, as in other instances, she does not leave the matter to chance. She takes care of it!!

My job is in accounting, and I relate to this characteristic.

Jai Ma!

Sort of on the same note, if anyone is interested Indian Laws pertaining to temples, places of pilgrimage, etc, this is a fascinating blog spot by David Godman which concerns a will left behind by Sri Ramana Maharshi, which leaves the Ashram property in the hands of his family. All kinds of questions popped up over this will including what constitutes a Hindu Temple.

Very fascinating article...here...

A Curious Court Case

Indeed fascinating to note that spiritual matters discussed by judiciary in such a thorough manner... :)

What an eye for minute details Maa had... and also the foresight...which even hardcore worldly and materialistic people fail to have at times... Incredible are her ways...