Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
06-February-2012 (Monday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

06-February-2012 (Monday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

SWAMI NIRVANANANDA - 01

I FIRST SAW MOTHER AT THE SEVASHRAMA AT VARANASI. As far as I remember that was in early November in 1912 (It was 8 November 1912) when Mother had visited the Sevashrama on the day after Kali Puja. I arrived there just a few days before that with the intention of joining the Order. I had already learned about Mother from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna and other sources. At that time Maharaj too was residing at the Sevashrama. Mother stayed at Lakshmi Nivas, a house near Ramakrishna Advaita Ashrama, belonging to Kiran Dutta of Baghbazar. During this visit to the Sevashrama, Mother had gone round making a thorough survey of the place. She was very pleased to see the sadhus at the Sevashrama serving the patients, deeming them to be images of God himself. She remarked, “I find Master himself present here, and my sons who are doing their utmost to serve the patients are but worshipping him.” After spending quite a long time there, Mother returned to Lakshmi Nivas. A little later, she sent a ten-rupee note to Charu Maharaj. Charu Maharaj was one of the founders of Varanasi Sevashrama though he had not yet joined the Order. At that time, he was just Charu Chandra Das, known as Charu Babu. The person who had brought the note said, “Mother is so pleased with the work being done at the Sevashrama that she has sent this money. Mother has also declared ‘I liked the Sevashrama so much that I would like to settle there for good.’” On hearing this, Maharaj, Mahapurush Maharaj, Hari Maharaj, Kedar Baba, Charu Maharaj and all others were beside themselves with joy. M. was also at Varanasi then. He had not approved of the work being done at the Sevashrama. He considered that such works as attending to patients and running hospitals not only did not behove sadhus but was also contrary to the spirit of Ramakrishna’s teachings. In his opinion sadhus should devote themselves wholeheartedly to spiritual practices only. Referring to Mother’s remarks after visiting the Sevashrama and the gift of ten rupees, Maharaj said to M., “You have heard everything, haven’t you? M. replied, “Well, when Mother has spoken thus, what more is there to say? All this work is certainly work done to serve the Master; there is no getting away from admitting it.”

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 44-45)