Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Daily Sri Ramakrishna Quote

Thakurji's comment about people with physical traits (like those described);
being unable to acquire faith easily, is not a condemnation of those afflicted;
but, is rather a simple statement of fact; that it is 'harder' for them to do
so...due to those physical obstacles.

Of course, with God, everything is possible.

Mentioning 'men' would include all mankind in that particular context....

Swamiji's comment regarding the difference between faith and experience,
would be explained by the Vedantic purpose of life; which is God-realization.

One may have 'faith' that God exists, but the object is to 'realize' or
experience Him within oneself. The average Christian is content to worship
God, as an entity 'outside' of himself/herself....

"One must become intoxicated with God"

Sri Ramakrishna: "Only repeating the word 'siddhi' will not
produce intoxication. You must actually get some hemp, rub it
in water, and then drink the solution...."

Om Tat Sat

I really don't know what SRK meant by this quote. Maybe something is lost in translation (?). But for me I seem to see a trend. I'm not criticizing his words, merely using my own discriminating faculities. He always talks about the obstacles to realization as being "Women and Gold". Does he mean this for women also and are we only supposed to assume the word "Men and Gold?. He didn't speak that way so I'm not so sure. I don't know exactly how to put it or why the confusion or if it is confusion or merely a question about women's sadhana being affected by a differing influence. Also, SRK didn't say it would be "harder" he said it was a "bad omen" which sounds very superstitious. I still don't understand this quote deep down, but will keep trying.

It just occured to me that SRK never really talked in mixed company. So, in effect, he was always speaking to "men". This must have meaning, as every action and word of Thakur's had meaning. But, I don't interpret it--yet!!

"Woman and Gold" is simply a metaphor for lust and greed....

I personally don't see any significance other than that. :)

On the other hand, if someone is looking for any activists of
modern feminism, they won't be found around nineteenth century
Dakshineswar....

For instance, in the following quote, Thakurji
places women lowest on the food chain, below the
cow and a Brahmin:

"If a man has faith in God,
then even if he has committed the most heinous sins-
such as killing a cow, a brAhmin, or a woman -
he will certainly be saved through his faith.
Let him say to God, 'O Lord,
I will not repeat such an action',
and he need not be afraid of anything."

Om Tat Sat

Dear Sister Rosemary,

Shri Ramakrishna was a descent of the Divine amidst us. You may remember that the soul is sexless, so is Shri Ramakrishna, he is the soul, and he has put on the garbs both masculine and feminine. He is both the Mother and the Father. And yet he is beyond these gender differences. No one can be perfect without transcending the idea of gender. Shri Ramakrishna was the heroic male warrior, and the the most ardent female aspirant. Indeed, Ramakrishna was pure spirit, he was not a body, or a body and a soul, etc. Perhaps only by praying to him humbly may we be vouchsafed a glimpse into his motives or that of our Lord Jesus Christ. These were not men become human, dear Sister. They were descent of the Divine into the world of and within the ken of humans. We may remember Shri Ramakrishna's love, concern and care for the Holy Mother, for his hundreds of woman disciples for whom he always gave separate time, and remember also that Ramakrishna's words that we read today are only that minute portion of his words that were recorded by a particular devotee on a particular day each week towards the last few years of Shri Ramakrishna's stay on Earth. Indeed, we know very very little of his words to his to-be monastic disciples, the forerunners of the Ramakrishna Order of monks, and even less of what he spoke to his women disciples. Ramakrishna dealt and spoke and graced each male and female differently. Perhaps what appeals to us from among his few recorded words I may take, that is for me, that which does not, I reject, that is not for me, this is what Swami Vivekananda said to a woman disciple in the United States of America.

With warm regards,

Ankur

Dear sister Rosemary,
This point has been very nicely explained by Swami Nikhilanandaji in his english translation of The Goapel of Sri Ramakrishna. Specifically he has elaborated on this term "woman and gold" so often used by Sri Ramakrishna in the footnote on page 82. The Swami writes -
The term "woman and gold", which has been used throughout in a collective sense, occurs again and again in the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna to designate the chief impediments to spiritual progress. This favourite expression of the Master, "kaminikanchan", has often been misconstrued. By it he meant only "lust and greed", the baneful influence of which retards the aspirant's spiritual growth. He used the word "kamini", or "woman", as a concrete term for the sex instinct when addressing his man devotees. He advised women, on the other hand, to shun "man". "Kanchan", or "gold", symbolizes greed, which is the other obstacle to spiritual life.

Sri Ramakrishna never taught his disciples to hate any woman, or womankind in general. This can be seen clearly by going through all his teachings under this head and judging them collectively. The Master looked on all women as so many images of the Divine Mother of the Universe. He paid the highest homage to womankind by accepting a woman as his guide while practising the very profound spiritual disciplines of Tantra. His wife, known and revered as the Holy Mother, was his constant companion and first disciple. At the end of his spiritual practice he literally worshipped his wife as the embodiment of the Goddess Kali, the Divine Mother. After his passing away the Holy Mother became the spiritual guide not only of a large number of householders, but also of many monastic members of the Ramakrishna Order

Thank you so much for posting this, Brother Satwik!!

Yes, brother Satwik hit the nail on the head, so to say. He gave the right quotation by Nikhilananda Ji, which I remembered, but wanted to write of my own. Did you read my comments in this regard, dear Sister Rosemary? I had written:

Dear Sister Rosemary,

Shri Ramakrishna was a descent of the Divine amidst us. You may remember that the soul is sexless, so is Shri Ramakrishna, he is the soul, and he has put on the garbs both masculine and feminine. He is both the Mother and the Father. And yet he is beyond these gender differences. No one can be perfect without transcending the idea of gender. Shri Ramakrishna was the heroic male warrior, and the the most ardent female aspirant. Indeed, Ramakrishna was pure spirit, he was not a body, or a body and a soul, etc. Perhaps only by praying to him humbly may we be vouchsafed a glimpse into his motives or that of our Lord Jesus Christ. These were not men become human, dear Sister. They were descent of the Divine into the world of and within the ken of humans. We may remember Shri Ramakrishna's love, concern and care for the Holy Mother, for his hundreds of woman disciples for whom he always gave separate time, and remember also that Ramakrishna's words that we read today are only that minute portion of his words that were recorded by a particular devotee on a particular day each week towards the last few years of Shri Ramakrishna's stay on Earth. Indeed, we know very very little of his words to his to-be monastic disciples, the forerunners of the Ramakrishna Order of monks, and even less of what he spoke to his women disciples. Ramakrishna dealt and spoke and graced each male and female differently. Perhaps what appeals to us from among his few recorded words I may take, that is for me, that which does not, I reject, that is not for me, this is what Swami Vivekananda said to a woman disciple in the United States of America.

With warm regards,

Ankur

I may add to the above my request for you to read the life of Shri Ramakrishna by Swami Saradananda, freshly translated by Swami Chetanananda recently.
ISBN : 0916356817
Title : Sri Ramakrishna and His Divine Play
SKU : 0916356817:2
Comments : A nectarian book to enthrall the soul, heart, mind and intellect, it is a recent translation of the great early 20th century hagiography of love-incarnate Shri Ramakrishna Paramahansha by a realized soul, his disciple Swami Saradananda. I bought it for Rs 1200 on 3-9-2011. This book is no longer available in India to the best of my knowledge and will have to be shipped from the United States of America for anyone who wishes to place fresh orders. As such an invaluable purchase for spiritual seekers and lovers of good reading.

Dear Ankur,

Yes, I had read and digested your previous reply, which I appreciate very much. I will look for that book by respected Swami Saradananda. Sometimes it is very hard to locate essential books, ie: The Letters of Sister Nivedita by Mr. Basu. I cannot locate a copy to purchase, even in Indian bookstores on the Net. Thank you so much for your recommendations which are very helpful.

Your sister,
Rosemary

Dear Sister,

Perhaps I can help you out in this regard. Let me try.

With regards and thanks,

Ankur

dear Brother Ankur,

As I wrote to you by email concerning your kindest of offers--I have located several copies available through Amazon.com and am considering purchasing this book. Thank you, you have been a huge help to me in your recommendations and other thoughtfullness already. Honesty, you have been a great help!

I went back to the "Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" to look at the full entry (by M) surrounding this quote.
The full text has been more illuminating and I have been digesting and synthesizing an analysis of this lesson.

Here is part of what I have read from the same page as the initial entry of Tom's post, p. 234:

"The two sides of the scales are even". During the day-time Haladhari used to meditate on God with form and at night on the formless God. Whichever attitude you adopt, you will certainly realize God if you have firm faith. You may believe in God with form or in God without form, but your faith must be sincere and wholehearted. Sambhu Mallick used to come on foot from Baghbazar to his garden house at Dakshineswar. One day a friend said to him: "It is risky to walk such a long distance. Why don't you come in a carriage?" At that Sambhu's face turned red and he exclaimed: "I set out repeating the name of God! What danger can befall me? Through faith alone one attains everything. I used to say, "I shall take all this to be true if I meet a certain person or if a certain officer of the temple garden talks to me". What I would think of would invariably come to pass."

There is more to the illuminating details but I must now get on to work.