Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
12-March-2012 (Monday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

12-March-2012 (Monday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

SWAMI APURVANANDA - 28

At that time there was no telephone or electricity at Belur Math, and Mother being very ill, Mahapurush Maharaj used to depute someone daily to visit Udbodhan and bring back news of Mother. When I returned from Mother’s House and saluted Mahapurush Maharaj, he immediately enquired about Mother’s health. Mother’s hands and feet were affected by dropsy, both feet being swollen, and there was acute loss of appetite. I had heard from revered Sharat Maharaj that the Kaviraj had prescribed a diet of svetapunarnaba greens and chutney of amrul leaves to improve her appetite. At once Maharaj said, “We have plenty of punarnaba and amrul growing in the Math garden. Take some for Mother every morning and also bring back news of her condition.” Accordingly, every early morning I used to pick some good punarnaba and amrul leaves, and wrapping these up in a banana leaf, take the ferry across the Ganga. Walking down from Kuthighat I used to reach Udbodhan by eight o’clock and hand the leaves over to the attending Maharaj. Then offering pranam to Mother from a distance, I would return to the Math with the latest news of Mother and convey it to Mahapurush Maharaj, who used to listen to it with great concern, along with other sadhus. Thus I had the good fortune to have Mother’s darshan daily for about six weeks. And what was most wonderful – during that period everyday when I offered pranam to Mother from a distance, I saw Mother, emaciated, lying on the floor with her face turned towards the door, regarding me with longing and affection as I saluted her. So much affection those eyes held, so much tenderness, so much compassion! She did not speak, but her eyes poured out her compassion, conveyed the tender touch of her love. As soon as our eyes met, we seemed to come together. Her look imbued my heart with love, filling it with indescribable divine bliss. After offering pranam I used to kneel in silent prayer with folded hands, and as I came away, her eyes brimming with tears, seemed to shower compassion on me. Looking back I could see her steadfast gaze following me as long as I was in sight.

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 65-67)