Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
03-April-2012 (Tuesday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

03-April-2012 (Tuesday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

SWAMI GAURISWARANANDA - 09

On another day Jnan Maharaj and I were planting some banana trees in the garden on the northern bank of Punya-pukur. We had been working right from the morning, and when the day had considerably advanced, Mother, standing on the embankment (of the tank) on the other side, began calling out to us for breakfast. “Coming,” we responded. A little later, Mother, anxious, began calling again – “Go back and finish the work after you have eaten,” she called out. I was concerned, but Jnan-da held me back. The third time when she called only me, leaving out Jnan-da, I left the spade and rushed back. I paid no heed to Jnan-da’s comments, “Only a little remains to be done” and that we would go together. Mother was very pleased and observed, “Jnan is a Bangal (hailing from East Bengal). They are very obstinate and never listen to what others say. You have a wash and sit down to eat.” When I was about to sit, Nalini-didi forbade me to eat without taking a bath first as the spot where we had been digging was particularly dirty. “Revolting!” she cried, “How can he have any taste for food unless he has had a bath?” Mother rebuked her, “Do keep quiet! They are men, ever pure. Nothing ever taints them. Your mind is impure, that’s why you are plagued by notions of defilement (through contact).” Thus assured by Mother, I ate. Mother too was content.

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 82-83)