Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
07-April-2012 (Saturday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

07-April-2012 (Saturday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

SWAMI GAURISWARANANDA - 13

One day a Swami had brought a huge wood apple from Varanasi. Mother had kept it under her bed. I was cutting vegetables along with her on the veranda in front of Nalini-didi’s room. When that was done, she told me to fetch the wood apple. I had never seen such a huge one before, and thinking it to be a pumpkin, went back to say that there was no wood apple under the bed. Mother said, “I’ve kept it there myself, where can it go” Look carefully.” Again I reported, “No, Mother, there isn’t any wood apple.” The she asked, “What is there under the bed?” I replied, “A pumpkin is there.” At that she laughed and said, “Bring that pumpkin here.” As soon as I picked it up I realized that it was a wood apple. That caused her to laugh all the more.

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 85)

Re: 07-April-2012 (Saturday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

Nice coloured photo of Mother. What exquisitely shaped feet!

One of those few photographs of Maa where she has compassionately given the view of her feet for her children to offer pranaams at these Holy feet...
Jai Maa...

I am very attracted to the above, color enhanced, photograph of Holy Mother. My plan is to print and frame this photo for worship. According to my book on photgraphs, the above photo is known as #24, taken in Jayrambati in 1913 . The photographer was Brother Ganendranath. She is sitting on the veranda of her "old house".

In Photograph #28, where Mother is standing in Jayrambti with Radhu beside her, I noticed last week that Mother had a lump on the second toe of her right foot. The reason this lump called out to me is because I have a similar large lump on the same toe on the same foot. So, not seeing the lump in the above enhanced photo, I went today looking to see on Photograph # 24 (presented in Br. Satwik's post of today) and noticed that the lump appears in the original photograph. However, in further investigation today I noticed on subsequent photographs, that the lump appears on the same toe of the opposite foot. The lump is more pronounced on the right foot, the same foot that I have a large lump on the second toe (due to psoriatic arthritis).

Mother's feet are beautiful and worthy of worship. From what I understand she never wore shoes, not even when walking the long distances from Jayrambati to Calcutta.

Worshipful feet!

Interesting pumpkin/apple story too!! Mother possessed a sense of humor!!

Rosemary

And while reading about this Pumpkin-Wood apple story, I was reminded of Sister Rosemary...and her delicious pumpkin curry...