Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
09-April-2012 (Monday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

09-April-2012 (Monday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

SWAMI GAURISWARANANDA - 15

Though Mother succeeded in making both ends meet, she never had surplus money. She would tell me to count the money in her box and take it to her. When I said, “There is eleven rupees,” she would give all of it to me and say, “Bring oil worth one rupee, flour worth one rupee, ghee worth two rupees,” and so on. I would counter, “No, Mother, I’m noting down what you say but I’ll buy them according to measure – such as five seers, two and a half seers etc. We’ll get a better deal that way.” Very pleased, she would agree, “Yes, son, you are an intelligent boy, buy the goods according to your own estimates. I don’t have a head for calculations.” Sometimes, when the funds would be exhausted, she would ask, “What is the date by the English calendar?” If I answered “27th”, she would ask, “How many more days to go before the end of the month?” When I said there were four more days to go, she would exclaim, “Why worry then? In a day or two Indu’s money will be here, the Master’s five rupees will also come. It will do to buy larger quantities then.” Indu Babu of Ranchi used to send Mother fifteen rupees right on the first or second day of the month, and Master Mahashay too used to send five rupees. In those days rice cost two rupees a maund in those parts.

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 87)

Re: 09-April-2012 (Monday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

This is also how I live, struggling from pay-day to pay-day. Not to worry, so far there is always enough to cover expenses.

Holy Mother's Grace..
Rosemary