Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
12-April-2012 (Thursday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

12-April-2012 (Thursday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!
SWAMI GAURISWARANANDA - 18

Mother was very fond of listening to songs. Once Indradayal Babu, Mokshada Babu and some others visited Jayrambati. They sang a number of songs for her and she enjoyed it greatly. Finally they even sang kirtans encircling Mother, who was seated in their midst. On another occasion Bishu-da had sung many songs, accompanied by our senior Sanskrit teacher who played on pakhwaj. The singing continued till late in the night. The audience included many from the village.

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 89)

Re: 12-April-2012 (Thursday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

Dear Satwik,

Could you please explain to me the differnce in a bhajan and a kirtan? I am very much enjoying the music that I am hearing on the pilgrimage video. The praises to Sri Ramakrishna and Holy Mother ring in my ears throughout the day.

Yours,
Rosemary

Re: 12-April-2012 (Thursday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

Dear Sister, I don't know for sure, but I feel that bhajan is a devotional hymn which even a single person can sing, and it is generally paeans in praise of the Lord, glorifying Him, or singing His/Her glories, or even supplicating Him for favours both worldly and spiritual like devotion. Kirtan is generally group singing of the Lord's Name generally, also group singing about His leela, or Divine Play, generally in a temple or good place. Bhajans, individual supplications to the Divine or expressions of love for the Divine can be sung anywhere and in any condition, I feel, but Kirtan requires proper place and even music.

With regards,

Ankur