Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
13-April-2012 (Friday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

13-April-2012 (Friday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!
SWAMI GAURISWARANANDA - 19

The day I had my first darshan of Sharat Maharaj at Jayrambati, at the sight of his huge form from afar, I was scared to approach him. So with a look at him from the road, I went straight to Mother. When I touched her feet, she said happily, “Rammoy, Sharat has come. Did you see him?” I said, “Yes, Mother, from afar.” Mother asked, “Didn’t you go to him, didn’t you touch his feet?” I replied, “No, Mother, I’m afraid to.” Mother said, “Afraid of Sharat? Silly boy! You’ll see how he will love you, go to him.” I approached the outer room from the inner quarters of Mother’s house, and entering, touched the feet of Sharat Maharaj. He asked my name, where I lived, the purpose of visiting Jayrambati, whether I had relatives or friends there. I sensed that from my appearance he had considered me too young to visit Jayrambati solely for Mother’s sake. I replied, “Every Saturday I come to Mother and go back to school on Monday.” Then he understood. He spoke so affectionately that I too was very happy. Soon after that Mother called out to me and gave me some food. It became quite clear to Maharaj that Mother was very fond of me. Learning how familiar I was to everyone in the household, Maharaj told me, “Look here, keep an eye on Mother’s activities and inform me when she is quite free. I’ll ask you to find out from her whether I may then go and offer pranam to her. Be careful, do just as you’ve been told, don’t use your own discretion.” I realized he was warning me lest I disturb Mother when she is busy to tell her about the pranam. So I used to tell him, just as directed, “Maharaj, Mother has finished cutting vegetables and she is now sitting in her room.” At once Maharaj would say, “Go to Mother, and with folded hands, ask her whether I may now go to offer her my pranam.” As soon as I would ask Mother, she would say, “Yes, dear, ask Sharat to come.” I used to follow Maharaj to her room and observe everything from the veranda. The door of the Mother’s room was narrow. Maharaj being stout and unable to enter straight, used to enter sideways. Mother used to sit on her bed with her feet on the ground. Maharaj would kneel down and lay his head on Mother’s sacred feet by way of pranam. Mother would then place both hands on his head and bless him. Then Maharaj would ask, “Mother, are you well?” Mother used to say, “Yes, son, I am well. Are you well?” He used to reply, “Yes, Mother, I am well.” Everyday I heard the same questions and the same answers. After the pranam, Maharaj would get up slowly and step backward, with his face towards Mother, till he was out of the room. Only then he would turn and go back to the outer room. Because Mother used to veil her face, he would grumble, “As if I’m her father-in-law! To draw a veil down to such a length even before me!"

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 89-90)