Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
17-April-2012 (Tuesday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

17-April-2012 (Tuesday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

HOLY MOTHER – A TALK - 02
SWAMI ASESHANANDA

The Udbodhan was about ten or fifteen minutes walk from Balaram Bose’s house. At the Udbodhan I was seated in the office room of Swami Dhirananda, Krishnalal Maharaj, addressed me and said, “Young boy, I have seen you at Balaram Bose’s house several times. Who will take your responsibility?” At that time I was studying Kant, Hegel, and my favourite philosopher, Plato, whom I admired as the most admiring philosopher of Western thought. I liked Aristotle for his system of logic, but Plato I esteemed for his transcendental ideal. To Swami Dhirananda I explained that I was a rugged individualist, like a young American boy. In St. Paul’s College it was compulsory to read the Bible, I did not read the Bhagavad Gita. Swami Dhirananda kept quiet and finally said, “You do not know anything about spiritual life. In spiritual life, there should be a mentor, a guide who holds the torch and shows you the way. Suppose you go to a cave temple, which is all dark. If you are alone, you bump your head on the walls. But if you find a priest who holds a torch, then you can see the deity unhurt and be satisfied.” I asked the Swami, “What do you mean? Kindly explain to me,” He replied, “I mean Holy Mother is upstairs. You should go and ask her grace to initiate you into spiritual life.”

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others - Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 94)