Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi

A Place where devotees gather to share inspiration.

"Holy Mother" painted by Swami Tadatmananda

Used courtesy of the Vedanta Society of Southern California

http://www.vedanta.org

Dedicated to Sri Sarada Devi
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
29-April-2012 (Sunday) Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

29-April-2012 (Sunday)
Reminiscences of The Holy Mother!!!

HOLY MOTHER – A TALK - 14
SWAMI ASESHANANDA

I heard one time from Holy Mother’s disciple, Chandramohan Dutta, that he was going to take bath with Swami Shuddhananda, who later became the President of the Order. I was then working as the assistant to the manager of the office in Udbodhan, Chandra was attending to the packing of books. Swami Shuddhananda said to Chandra, “Well, you go to Mother, what do you ask her for?” Chandra replied, “I ask her for some sweets as prasad.” Then the Swami said, “Have you come to Mother only to beg prasad? Have you come only for that? Mother is mukti-dāyini, the giver of liberation.” Chandra said, “All right, Swami, I will do that.” So, returning to the Udbodhan, Chandra went to Mother’s room by the staircase in front of Golap-ma’s room. Mother was then performing the noonday worship and was silent, as is customary while at worship. Mother saw Chandra and asked through a sign, “My child, what can I do for you?” Chandra said, “I got palpitation of heart. I was thinking I would ask, ‘Mother, please give me Brahmajnana, the knowledge of Brahman – and if that is too much, then mukti, or liberation.’ But no word would come. I felt as though I were suffocating. Then I somehow blurted out, ‘prasad, Mother!’ Then Holy Mother pointed out a plate of prasad covered underneath her cot.” Chandra said he took some rasagollas, sandesh and chum-chums and went away. He told Swami Shuddhananda, “Well, Swami, I was prepared to ask, but something happened, I do not know what.” Therefore, it cannot be tutored; it must be spontaneous yearning of the child to its Mother for deliverance from the bonds of Maya. But Chandra was so very devoted to Mother, and Mother was so very fond of him. I believe that at the last moment he came into Mother’s arms and took eternal refuge from this relative world.

(REMINISCENCES OF Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and others -
Compiled and Edited in Bengali by SWAMI PURNATMANANDA - Translated by MALOTI SEN GUPTA : P 102-103)